I've finally decided to switch to Superior Drummer 3

What happened to the offline mode that was talked about?

We can talk about other LM’s and other products till the cows come home, but its this product Im here for and this product we’re talking about.

What happened to the offline mode that was discussed?

1 Like

Where was it discussed that there would be an offline mode? To my recollection, I said that I was raising it as a UX issue, but so far no change. I don’t believe I ever promised that there would be a full on offline mode - although this is what I, personally, would like.

LM will require the user to go online once every 90 days. Once you’ve done that, you can be offline for the rest of the time. We’ve added improvements to the next version that make this much more transparent and obvious to the user.

As product owner, I am still wanting to see this improved, but I can only do so much.

5 Likes

I disconnected my router and was using BFD3 all morning (off line) with no issues.

Steve

There’s actually still an “Offline Mode” button under Tools, which showed up last year. AFAIK, it doesn’t currently do anything because, as @BFD_Drew has pointed out, BFD (is supposed to) refresh just once every 90 days. In general, that works, although we’ve seen some hiccups.

Apart from my initial setup(‘Should I stay or should I go’ thread), I’ve always been offline without any issues.

I think they could be talking about something different when talking about “Offline Mode” ? Or I could be just trippin’ daisies.

Was it Offline activation?

Nah that’s been around for a while. It is the old way of informing the DAW to put the plugin into offline rendering mode - but as far as I can tell, isn’t really required these days.

2 Likes

You could try by going iLok instead of this cockamamie system there is now. It’s but one of the reasons I’ve gone with Superior Drummer 3.

1 Like

I’ve already given a response to that - we will never go iLok.

1 Like

Care to elaborate why?
Well consider me done with BFD. Staying with an authorization system that makes one stay logged into a license manager AND having to put your daw online every 90 days is beyond me. I have better things to do than to worry about this kind of crud. This is the only program I have that’s like this.

3 Likes

What’s to worry about?

As I’ve said already, it’s been working perfectly well here with no internet connection and there is a 90 day timer coming in the next build so you won’t need to fret about being unexpectedly asked to log in and reauthorise.

Steve

1 Like

You still don’t get it do you? It’s a messed up system that should never have happened. The old system under fxpansion worked. No ifs, and, butts or watching a 90 day countdown. Why this happened is beyond me. The writing was on the wall when ROLI bought BFD and it finally went to hell with InMusic purchasing BFD. Maybe you don’t spend any time on other music forums because if you did you’d find out that InMusic is a big joke.

3 Likes

Of course I get it and as I’ve said enough times, I don’t agree with the idea of having to prove I own BFD3 but you’re wrong about having to stay logged in, that’s just not true.
You CAN use it off line for 89 days.

[quote=“musicman691, post:73, topic:2192”]
Maybe you don’t spend any time on other music forums because if you did you’d find out that InMusic is a big joke[/quote]

I’ve heard plenty about how Inmusic is where products go to die but currently BFD3 is alive and even if the company folded tomorrow it would still be my drum VST of choice so no reason to stop using it.
I may of course have to use a cracked copy but needs must as they say.

Steve

1 Like

@Steve63 If inMusic folded tomorrow, your BFD3 would stop working however many days it had been since it last called home. If they go under, that means no servers, that means the money you’ve spent is wasted, unless you can get an old version of Fxpansion to work.

3 Likes

Lets just hope that they never go under.

1 Like

Hence my comment regarding a cracked version.

I don’t see it happening myself.

Steve

1 Like

@Steve63 Yeah, I missed that last bit about a K’d BFD3. Only problem with that is, the crackers aren’t even bothering with BFD3 anymore, so if you need to run a newer OS/M series Mac, that route won’t work.

I honestly don’t know enough about inMusic, it’s history, etc to know how stable they are and what people are at the helm. I do know however, that they don’t seem to give a toss about it’s BFD3 users, loathing their idea of a questionable authorization system.

I just don’t understand why they refuse to at least use the old FX-style authorizations, saved to machine IDs. No one is going to steal BFD3 today in it’s current state. The only people using it are mostly the die-hard fans from the beginning who’ve legally purchased it.

3 Likes

Steve:
You’re confusing being logged in to the LM and being online. We were told some time ago about having to stay logged in to the LM and then you can go offline. If I log out of the LM all my products become unlicensed whether I’m online or not. I just tried it - logged out of the LM and all my BFD stuff became unlicensed/unauthorized.

1 Like

I would suggest going over to the DUC - the Avid Pro Tools forum and ask about InMusic. Be prepared to get an earful - there’s nothing good to say about them. S/w they’ve taken over never gets bugs squashed for one.

Right, but why do you need to log out?
As long as disconnecting your Internet doesn’t log you out (and it didn’t with mine) then you shouldn’t need to log out.

I don’t understand why you’re logging out. :thinking:

As for inbrands track record it’s certainly a worry but there’s not much I can do about that but wait to see what happens.
So far, apart from some pretty bad support response times, the updates have been steadily fixing stuff.
I think the next build should be the one that fixes the LM issues properly.

Steve

2 Likes