I've finally decided to switch to Superior Drummer 3

1. License Manager is OPEN here and ALL are Authorized and I am logged into the LM.

2. Open BFD3 and we get: BFD has been disable because You are not logged into your InMusic account and Drew hates you. Please run the BFD License Manager.

Guess what Im already LOGGED INTO THE LM. AND signing in and out a billion times does NOTHING as Steve would have us believe.

IF 3.4.4.24 is still broken here I will make it my work to steer people far away from this POS software

1 Like

It’s been a year or so since the transition to inMusic, with several updates aimed at fixing the issues users are having. If after the next build/LM release, users are still experiencing the same repetitive authorization issues, at some point you’re going to have admit that the current licensing system is not working satisfactorily to sustain this product moving forward and come up with a plan B imo.

I don’t understand why you or inMusic is so against the idea of iLok. It’s been solid as rock for me for 15 years. If it’s a matter of having to pay a little more for BFD products because of iLok fees, I might be ok with that knowing that the authorization system is painless and worry-free.

1 Like

What version does it say on your LM?

f it’s pre 5.0.5.3 then you should download the latest version and try that.
As it’s been noted several times on here, installing the latest version of BFD3 would install an older version of the LM so to solve that, it’s necessary to install the LM after installing BFD3.

Steve

I have been UNABLE to USE BFD3 since this LM bullchido started. I CANNOT OPEN BFD for no reason.

Ive had this POS software on and off my system here for too many times to count.

Complete deep clean of ANYTHING InMusic, FXpansion for giggles and BFD. Still no dice.

Logged into and out of the InMusic account till my fingers hurt.

Thats where you should have stopped and bought SD3 :slight_smile:

If I hated you, I would ignore your emails :wink:

I’ll PM you a copy of 3.4.4.24 so we can try it out on your setup.

1 Like

For me projects that are rendered and done aren’t something I worry about going back to so for me that’s a red herring.

Never said I was having issues with logging into the LM. It’s all about having to stay logged in to the LM. Big difference.

A skeuomorphic interface matters to me as a drummer (amongst playing other instruments). If I change a kit piece in SD3 I see what the actual drum looks like so I don’t have to waste time trying to figure out what’s loaded. I can immediately tell if I have say a Tama Bell Brass snare loaded or a Ludwig Black Beauty or a DW wood snare. I don’t have to look at the mixer like in BFD 3 which as I mentioned I don’t need to see all the time.

The workflow in BFD 3 took a huge step backwards from BFD 2.

I don’t even care (for my part) what happens if BFD 4 ever gets released.

You say sound is the big thing for you? Same here and for me the sound of BFD 3 is tired and the expansion packs are all over the place in sound quality. After working with SD3 a bit I’m having more fun and getting stuff done quicker. Things like changing out a kit piece while the tune is playing - child’s play in SD3 and the computer doesn’t even hiccup. Try doing that in BFD 3 - not so pretty.

1 Like

With the Kit Piece Info button toggled on, you can visually see what kit piece is loaded (and info about it) when you hover over said kit piece slot in the Kit view. I believe this also updates in real-time, as you browse/audition different kit pieces for that slot. So looking at the mixer to see what kit piece is loaded is not necessary.

What you need to remember about the drum-loading thing is… if you click once in the browser, it goes into a “preview” state, where only a few layers are loaded into memory. Once you confirm that, the full drum is loaded.

BFD3 was developed in 2012-2013 when computers were still a bit limited by RAM for all but the most nerdy of nerds that ever worked at a drum software company. Ahem.

These days, RAM isn’t really a big deal. So what I’d probably do for BFD4 and onwards is get that changed so that the full drum loads into memory when you’re in a preview-in-place state… that way it won’t sound whack.

3 Likes

Does increasing the RAM Buffer in Preferences yield higher quality whilst auditioning kit pieces, or is that strictly for playback?

Excellent. That’s what I wanted to see. I mean, other than fixing broken stuff.

No, RAM buffer is purely for playback.

Quite clearly if you know the competition, then you know where we are going to go with BFD long-term. Better software, 100%.

1 Like

Already have it here bro

Hi Drew - a point to note with loading everything into RAM is that there are folks out there [like me when I’m working on movie trailers] that work on projects with 100+ tracks [the piece I’m working on right now is a little over 170 tracks]…
and some of those tracks contain instruments that are RAM / CPU hungry…
a very cool feature Kontakt has is ‘purge’…
it basically clears RAM of it’s samples, then as the song plays it loads only what it needs…
I get that this won’t work for folks triggering BFD via a live performance as that’s a very different use case…
but even in that specific case, once you’ve captured the performance, there’d still be something to gain if you could ‘purge’, then play the song [to load only the samples needed to enable that track to playback]…
this then claws back a pile of RAM that can be used for other things [especially as the drums are typically among the first tracks to get recorded… then the other layers are added afterwards]…
it is worth noting that not everyone out there has the very latest machine that is built right up to it’s full capability… so some folks out there may find a ‘purge’ like feature quite handy…

We have that in a manner of speaking - it is called ‘load on demand’ and is a global preference in the engine preferences. It will require playing through the song at least once, to allow the engine to work out what samples to load into RAM, and the more plays you give it, the more detailed the memory usage becomes.

It can save RAM, and is often a decent solution for anyone wanting to conserve RAM usage for other plugins.

1 Like

ah I had no idea… is this an RTFM moment? lmao

I couldn’t possibly comment :wink:

3 Likes

Still inconvenient as you have to take your eyes off to the side. With SD3 it’s right there in the center of vision. But whatever. The bloom is off the rose with BFD 3 for me. It’s still an ugly and garish gui.

I’ll be joining you soon enough I feel.

I did cheekily write to Toontrack and see if they would do a BFD3 crossgrade to SD3 (I did this from Cubase to Studio One when Steinberg made their 30-day check announcement). I suggested there would be a reasonable amount of disgruntled people that would take up the offer, so mightbe worth their while. I don’t think they’ll do it somehow :slight_smile:

In any case I’ll wait and see what Black Friday brings. Don’t think Toontrack will lower the price but I seem to remember you could buy it with a free sound pack or something.

1 Like

A skueomorphic drumkit is important to me too.