How to use BFD2 Content in BFD 3.4?

I have my serial numbers from FXpansion and I’m already signed into InMusic.

You need to have read a certain amount of posts (not sure how many) and then you can PM @BFD_Drew.

Steve

Thank you very much.

Let me just check this… over 18 months after the transition to InMusic- if you want to use your BFD2 content:

1 - you have to find this slightly obscure forum
2 - make a certain number of posts
3 - message a specific person (who?)
4 - hopefully wait for an answer - which may or may not come.
5 - get issued some replacement licences

Is anybody suggesting that’s an acceptable system ?

1 Like

Nope, but I’ve got my old BFD 1+2 content working in BFD3 now and I received my replacement serials in about 20 minutes. YMMV.

The PM privilege is part of the Discourse forum rules. You only need to scroll through posts for 10 minutes… no need to make any posts. Then you PM the product manager @BFD_Drew with your request. You can also contact BFD support instead.

But yeah, they probably should’ve worked out a better formal system for those libraries not eligible for migration. Not sure why that wasn’t addressed beforehand. After all, they were trying to get users to migrate, most of whom had the first 2 versions of BFD and which worked fine through FXpansion.

1 Like

^^^ and this is the company you trust with your licences/software/money ?

seems there’s currently a firesale on BFD3 - currently £36.95 in the UK, including tax.

What does that tell you about what InMusic are doing ? - answers on a postcard :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I have seen lots of deals on software this November! Not just BFD but all vendors. As more and more plugins hit the market place the more and more plugins prices fall. $50 bucks is a great price for BFD 3. I agree getting BFD 1 and 2 was funky but in the end Drew answers the emails and if you do in fact have ownership of those license he gives you replacement numbers. Something the $50 BFD license you don’t get.

1 Like

yes, I’m sure he does

let’s hope he doesn’t leave :smiley:

He’s not allowed to. :wink:

Steve

It’s a shame there’s going to be a lot of suckers who dont read this forum and buy BFD3 because it’s so cheap at the moment. Cheap doesnt equal good value if you have issues getting it work. How many of the vendors, including inMusic, declate the 90-day requirement? None, I hazard a guess.

Guess we’ll be seeing a lot of posts from new users trying to get it to work (if they can find the forum that is).

I think you overestimate the problems with the license system. I agree the 90 day thing needs to go away. I think they (BFD) would save a lot of headaches and save time. But as it sits from a Mac perspective the current system actually works and is as good as SSD 5.5 which you have to get an account and go download and install. Same with BFD. But once you learn to download the license manager and register, download and install everything from the LM it works and is flexible on content paths. So no different. I think the Fxpansiin legacy gave me problems.

The new People should be able to get a working system pretty quickly because no migration, no legacy crap in the system. But we will see.

Again hope they know about the 90 day authorization before they buy.

This actually takes some digging through the BFD FAQ to find. It’s not on the main product page that I can see.

Can I run BFD3 on a DAW with no Internet connection?

Yes, however, an internet connection is required for download, authorization, and reauthorization every 90 days.

I think the deal with 3rd party retailers, is that they are just copy/pasting info from the FXpansion days from what I can tell. So perhaps some newcomers are oblivious to the 90 day BS. That said, I think a fair amount may be aware from searching forum and sales threads.

A few people let me know that they went ahead and purchased it, based on me answering questions and one of my demos. Hopefully the product doesn’t make me look like an asshole. Seriously though, I was very honest as I always am, giving the good, bad and ugly.

1 Like

I’ve done the opposite, put at least a couple of people off purchasing, easy to do with the state of inMusic’s “support”. I would hate to recommend this to someone and end up looking like a jackass.

I’m just trying to do my part to help BFD keep staying alive and hopeful that inMusic will realize they f’d up.

3 Likes

I admire your optimism. I was even trying to be positive back in the day, but inMusic is inMusic. They will not change.

I bought all the AIR products when they were cheap. Seemed all right at first. After a while you realise why they sell stuff off cheap. No support, no meaningful updates, etc.

Rather than being a place where brands go to die, it’s where brands are put on life support with minimum health cover.

Just look at all the once great brand names they own. Do the products they now put out seem in any way like their glory days? BFD is not somehow going to be the exception to inMusic’s shonky business model.

I’d rather BFD had just been announced as a dead product then people could’ve moved on, rather than give them this false hope. I feel like I’ve been strung along at this point. Just glad I didnt give them any money for BFD, inMusic don’t deserve it.

I could not in good faith recommend this product in the hope it will get better. It sounds like the first meaningful update wont arrive till early 2024.

Newbie here, so apologies if I’m not going about this right, but apparently I need to make a few posts before I can PM for help with BFD2.

Post number 2 towards being able to PM.

Post number 3 towards being able to PM.

I think it’s more about how many posts you read rather than post. :thinking:

Steve

1 Like

Ya, I read the whole thread last night in its entirety, and it seems like a bit of a mishmash of info, but it seems that the majority of instructions I see say I need to make 5 posts, read for X amount of time and possibly even start a few topics. In the meantime, I’ve emailed the pertinent info to BFD support. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes