BFD3.4.0.24 - Bug Reports

I saw this misrouted ambient channel bug back when we were beta testing BFD3, I can’t recall for certain but I think it might have been more, ‘preset’ related and was in certain expansion kits that were from BFD2.

Steve

To me, the horizontal scrolling of the main Mixer seems a bit slow and just not very responsive? Also, scrolling vertically on the scroll wheel, the browser on the left seems glitchy at times. It may be my mouse, as I noticed that it’s only when I scroll with an upwards motion on the mouse. So depending on whether or not I have the natural scrolling motion checked in macOS, the scroll bar on the browser will get to a certain point as you’re scrolling and try and go in the opposite direction. I’m using an Apple Magic Mouse. I’ll dig around for another mouse and see if there’s any difference.

Oh yay, my “favorite” kind of bug: an old one that was reported ages ago but never fixed.

These are not presets in the expansion kits, BTW. They’re presets I’m saving in BFD2 so I can attempt to match the sound in BFD3.4.

MacOS Catalina - DAW Reaper 5.978

After updating BFD to 3.4, one of my Reaper song projects would crash Reaper immediately on opening.

After finding out how to open a project with all FX disabled/offline I found BFD was the one causing the crash - enable BFD - immediate crash.

All my drum kit settings, beats/palettes and drum track/timeline arrangement was in the plugin - so I didn’t want to just start again.

I ended up creating a virtual machine running macOS Sierra and installed Reaper and BFD 3.2.2.2 - in my experience the last version of BFD where everything worked properly. From there I was able to open the project, save out the kit preset and grooves. I first tried exporting the whole groove palette but that would still crash BFD and Reaper (back in Catalina) immediately when loading the palette. But I was able to load each individual groove one by one. So far so good, but then half way through rebuilding the drum track (with virtual Sierra still open for reference), it crashed again. I was however able to export the groove MIDI okay, and could load that into the Reaper track to at least get my project back up and running.

Same crash happened when I went to open a project template a few days later : (

A few other projects open okay, but haven’t checked them all.

So were they made in BFD2 originally and could you upload some here for us to try?

To all intents and purposes the bug was fixed which is why I thought it was odd that it should reappear with this new build. I haven’t seen it or seen anyone else posting about it for 6 or 7 years.

Steve

Not sure but you could try zipping some.
If not then google drive or some other sharing site if you have access.

I use mediafire

Steve

The BFD License Manager freezes on startup when it can’t find the download location

Steps to Reproduce:

1. In BFD License Manger Preferences, set download location to a folder on an external hard drive.
  2. Close License Manager
  3. Disconnect external hard drive
  4. Start License Manager

Expected Result: The License Manager should give an error message informing the user that it can’t find the configured download location and then allow the user to change it.

Actual result: The License Manager window opens, but then freezes immediately and stays unresponsive even after several minutes of waiting. Thus, it’s impossible to fix a non-existing download location. The License Manager only starts up correctly again when the external hard drive has been reconnected.

Reproducability: Always

Note: This is on Windows 10, with License Manager version 3.0.0.19

Yes it does the same thing here too.

I know it’s not the answer but after correctly reassigning the channels and saving the preset, it loads okay.

Steve

1 Like

Thank you for testing it and verifying. This is driving me INSANE. I have edited my two prior posts about these bugs to make it clearer. It’s not just the busses; the amount sliders are also being read wrongly. I literally sat here comparing BFD2 settings in the Logic project to the settings in BFD3.4 standalone, matching them up manually and re-saving my preset. I loaded it in the project again and finally things seem correct… Saving the project, closing it, and re-opening it… The settings stuck. I can FINALLY MOVE ON to the next project.

THIS IS MADNESS.

EDIT: Example BFD2 preset that BFD3.4 screws up:
example_bfd2_preset_for_ambient_mic_channel_bug.zip (42.8 KB)

I can’t edit my prior post (WHY?), but I wanted to delete the DropBox content, so there’s the preset example for my but reports.

@BFD_Drew

Prior posts about these bugs, rewritten:

So all f these projects were ones that used BFD2 in logic?
So they are logic songs/projects and you’re swapping out BFD2 for BFD3?

Is that right?

You’re probably using the same method anyway but what I did was to open the project (Cakewalk Sonar for me) bring up BFD2 in the project and then save a preset in BFD2 with the same name as the song/project, then insert BFD3 into the song/project, and open the saved BFD2 preset in BFD3.

Generally it was fairly smooth but had to reassign outputs and do all that malarkey and with 70 or 80 songs it took forever.

We’ll have to do it all over again when BFD4 is unleashed. :roll_eyes:

Steve

You got it. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. The BFD2 preset loading bugs in BFD3.4 are making this WAY more time-consuming and irritating than it ought to be.

We better NOT have to do this again for BFD4…

Really annoying the almost total silence about this. Their own website states categorically that you do not need to be online.

Not sure which post of mine you’re replying to so can’t answer.

I’m losing count of the number of times myself, and other people here have stated that this whole, ‘needing to be on line’ thing is a bug that will be fixed in the next build.

Obviously that’s not going to be on their website.

Steve

1 Like

Logic just crashed on me while I was soloing a track that isn’t BFD, but Logic said it crashed “while using BFD3”.

Crash report here:
logic_crashed_by_bfd3.4.txt (571.6 KB)

These crashes have to goddamned stop.

For new purchasers, it probably should be.

This is what I meant about getting out in front of this.

1 Like

Here’s a crash report from Logic X loading and crashing because BFD2 is present in the project being loaded. This NEVER happened BEFORE BFD3 was installed. This HAS to be BFD3, some how. I don’t know if it’s the authorization server stuff or what. A second load is fine. The INCONSISTENCY of this makes me think it is some kind of unnecessary crap, like DRM, rather than a corrupt installation of any files on my end.

bfd2_crashes_logic_x_when_bfd3_is_Installed.txt (604.2 KB)

Kit rotation bug seems fixed.

Thank you for your feeback, i work in IT since 20 years so i know that. My Phenom support SSE2 to SSE4A. This last version support 4 of the 47 instruction of SSE4.1.
Anyway I am against the programmed osolescence and I do not see why I should update my hardware when this one allows me latencies of 2ms with the previous version.

1 Like

Hello Drew, any news on this feature ? I have installed the last version and now i have access to audio and midi option but there is no option for olders machines. I have more than 1 000€ products to use :wink:

I understand and I agree with you on planned obsolescence. I just interpreted your message to mean you didn’t understand about the instruction set issue and was trying to explain.
Cheers

1 Like