BFD Crash (Logic Pro X)

The BFD plugin still crashes in Logic Pro X although BFD standalone works for me. I tried the above recommended fix - the MIDI 2.0 box was already unchecked. I am using a MacBook M1 Max running Ventura 13.4.1. Any advice would be appreciated - I love the BFD sounds and wish I could use them.

1 Like

LogicPro is in a pretty bad place at the moment, I find. Well, everything to do with AUHosting seems to be anyway. Next to the annoying “An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem …”-warning, I have, occasionaly, plug-ins opening up with a black GUI, or they open up in Controls-view instead of their normal view, or sometimes you load a plug-in but its slot remains greyed-out meaning that you can’t open it. I have also encountered situations where a chain of plugins loaded in one track persistently upsets Logic, but if I then copy and paste that same channel strip configuration to another track, all problems disappear.
It’s all very random, totally unpredictable, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever. Days can go by without a single issue, and then, for some reason or other, it starts happening again. It’s this apparent randomness that makes it so frustrating, cause that makes it also impossible to troubleshoot.

Amidst all this AUHosting turmoil, BFD3 performs surprisingly well most of the time here on my machine, I’m happy to report, although it is definitely among the plug-ins that seem to bring up the “An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem …”-warning more frequently than others do. (The plugins from DMG Audio also belong to the category of plug-ins of which I’m meanwhile quite certain that LogicPro views them with suspicion and doesn’t tolerate everything they do.)

__

Hey @songkid

Logic has a new 10.7.9 update. We’re still testing it out here but it appears to fix the MIDI 2.0 crash. Logic Pro for Mac release notes – Apple Support (UK).

Thanks,
Joe

1 Like

Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version of Logic (10.7.9) and Ventura (13.5). The crash problem remains.

Hey @jacubert

We’re going to need some more information.

Could you tell me what build of BFD3 you have installed? Could you attach a screenshot of the error you get in Logic? Could you attach a runtime log and crash report?

Runtime logs can be found at: /Users//Library/Logs/BFD Drums/BFD3/BFD3 Runtime.<date+time>.log
The most recent runtime log won’t have a date.

Crash reports can be found at: /Users/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Thanks,
Joe

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 8.39.22 AM
The ONLY instrument in this project is BFD3. If I didn’t have sooooo many projects created with BFD, I would cut my losses. I sure hope you guys can fix this.

Hey @songkid

How often are you seeing this crash? Can you send me a copy of a project you’re seeing the crash in? Can you send me a crash report?

Crash reports can be found at: /Users/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Thanks,
Joe

Joe:

The screen shot is attached. I am using BFD 3.4.5.28 with a Status in BFD License Manager of “Up to date.” Please provide an email where I can send both the runtime log and crash report - I did not see where I could upload the reports here.

Thanks.

Jeremy

1 Like

Unfortunately the same error remains. I have been unable to use BFD Drums in Logic and have given up in favor of other products.

I tried reinstalling BFD and now my computer (not just Logic) crashes. I have deleted everything related to BFD off my computer. It is very disappointing because the samples are so good.

That kinda sounds like you might have something else going on? I don’t think BFD has ever crashed my OS. Always at the App level and safely able to Force-Quit.

Not sure what kind of computer you have, but if it does have removable memory, you can try to reseat the sticks. Any removable internal components I always try and reseat if I get hard crashes. If you’re on Mac, you can try SMC and PRAM resets. They can sometimes fix a buggy Mac.

I really appreciate the suggestions. I have an M1 Max MacBook that has no trouble running large sample libraries including other drum libraries. BFD works in standalone and has never worked as a plugin in Logic in the two years I have had the computer. The new symptom of system crashes happens when the computer is attached to the drive that has my BFD sample folders. It is possible the drive is the problem but I have other sample libraries on the same drive that continue to work normally. I have decided to put my time and effort into other software. If an update is released, I may try again. Thanks again for your reply.

1 Like

Hi jacubert,

i have got the same problem and I solved it the following:

I had moved one bfd library, so the path in bfd 3 was wrong. In my case this caused the described problem. Logic crashed on every start when bfd 3 was loaded as a plugin. Same Error massage like yours.

As soon as I removed the library. everything was fine.

To find out what library is affected, I rescanned the BFD 3 plugin in Logic. The rescan stuck in the middle and after shutting down Logic I found a warning on my desktop, telling me the path of the missing library.

Maybe this helps.

Best Regards

Thanks very much! I had tried rescanning drives to reconnect to my various BFD libraries - everything worked fine in standalone but not in Logic. I tried deleting everything BFD off my computer and reinstalling from scratch on a brand new drive. Everything seems to work in both standalone and in Logic. It is still buggy with unexplained crashes periodically but it works. BFD Player is much less buggy so I have hope for BFD 4.

I’m repeating myself from other posts about crashes, but I had success with deleting the bfd preferences file. There actually was a fix in the latest build, but I think I still wound up deleting it anyways. You just have to be mindful of any important settings you wish to retain and also have a BU of the file. Worth a shot.

Sorry to hear you had to work so hard to recover the bfd system.

It is a message to the developers: BFD 3 crashes Logic in case a path of one or more libraries is wrongly set or not valid anymore, for instance after changing a hard drive etc.

Shouldn’t be to complicated to fix

I was thinking about deleting the preference file but could not find I on my M1 system. Any suggestions?

The path for me is, Users/Library/Application Support/BFD3/BFD3_user_preferences.pref

Hello,

I’m having the following issue with BFD 3.4 in Logic 10.7.9, Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.1:

I already started a new project and unticked MIDI 2.0, however it doesn’t solve the issue:

I’m trying to run BDF on a Mac Mini M2, 24GB (Ventura 13.5). It’s crashing out after 4 or 5 seconds (plugin and standalone). I’ve tried uninstalling it completely (including deleting all BDF folders and files) and then re-installing, but I’m still unable to run it successfully.
Has anyone any idea how I could get it running on my system, or am I attempting the impossible?