Apple M1 support

Fair point, but in this case we have a worst of both worlds situation because there is no Apple silicon update option even for those prepared to pay for it. There are very few devs at this point that don’t have either and those are understandably getting similar flack for not being on top of this back in June 2020. Making it so that you can’t transfer sample library licenses without a significant transfer fee on top of that is a bridge too far IMHO

Money isn’t going to speed up the development process, and this is not something we would ever charge for. I said before, this isn’t a resourcing issue for us, it is a technical debt issue. We are working on it. We already have M1 native compatibility in beta, and once we tidy up the last few audiounit related issues, then it will launch.

Transfer fee’s that were in existence at FXpansion long before the inMusic acquisition have very little to do with any of that.

I don’t mind these conversations, I don’t even mind robust debate and a bit of sparring. But I will correct the record where it needs it.

I’ve said publicly if anyone can live without audiounit support to get in touch with me and I’ll provide the M1 beta to them. Can’t do much more than that right now.

Cheers,
Drew

3 Likes

Sounds to me like we’re in good-enough hands. And cool that we can get in on a VST/VST3 beta.

Re Rosetta, I can’t say for sure how much performance loss there is on my system when rolling back to it. Some, but how much, for you? … Plus in Cubase 12 in Rosetta mode, we can use VST2 plugins… as in BFD3. So, just a thought… work in Rosetta mode, fix up your drums, print your drum track, then boot up your project in Apple mode.

Hey, I know that’s not particularly helpful :).

But working around limitations seems the the story of my life when it comes to processing power. I mean, there is no Apple Silicon single-core performance machine out there that can handle what I want to throw at my projects.

@shagazulu I have the same processing limitations with my old Mac Pro, with everything I throw at it in a full mix. I get to the point where I have to print my drums, bass and percussion to free up cpu to finish the other elements and that’s at 48kHz. Then, once all my elements are mixed, I have to open the drums back up to do any automation and print again. I used to run sessions at 96kHz from start to finish without having to print anything prematurely. Just shows how demanding plugins today can be with workflows increasing and oversampling applied.

Yea, wow, that’s an interesting take. Developers are less concerned about efficiency these days, I guess.

I just watched a video that shows what I also experience in performance between Rosetta and Silicon mode. It’s not the crazy performance difference that we all would hope… which sucks, really. BUT, credit to Apple for making a translation layer that really works. Of course, they HAD to, otherwise folks wouldn’t have bought their silicon laptops early on.

Freeze tracks. It’s brilliant. It always has been. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Drew. I don’t think anyone is levelling the blame at you individually for this and it’s clear you are one of the good guys trying to do right by your customers. This is a perfect storm of several issues which have resulted in significant frustration and what amounts to essentially a loss of access to many. Hopefully the resolution is not too far away and that lessons can be learnt for next time. With regards to the license transfer fees that seems like something that could be easily changed in various ways to help improve the situation though, even if it was a historic FXpansion thing.

This is a good suggestion which will likely help a lot of people. Fundamentally though, Rosetta was supposed to be a temporary transition layer and 2 years on workarounds like this simply aren’t realistic for most people who will likely just move on to one of the many other drum samplers out there rather than mess around.

Agreed, there’s a timeliness to everything. (I know this from personal experience.)

Of course, there’s also the added time of learning new software…

Man, it’s so hard to prioritize with the whole www in front of you.

1 Like

It has been changed. FXpansion expected users to purchase a license transfer fee on a per product basis. inMusic don’t.

4 Likes

Interesting, that’s very helpful to know. Thank you Drew and good luck with those Audiounit bugs, hopefully you’ll nail those soon.

Just realised where the confusion came from. A bunch of my sample libraries are platinum samples and they have kept the old FXpansion policy of $50 per product for transfers, very disappointing and frustrating but obviously can’t hold that against BFD/InMusic.

@BFD_Drew Can I also get a beta invite? Need to run in rosetta mode and that breaks some other plugins for me

Hi akc7364

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

and how is the work going?

4 Likes

Can I also get a beta invite?

Hi Yuki and welcome to the BFD forums.

Just follow the thread I linked in response to akc7364 above and you will find the necessary link to apply.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

I completed the application a long time ago and I still have no answer… can anyone who has the beta version tell me if something is happening in the case? Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? I haven’t worked at BFD for a year and I feel that our paths are parting…

2 Likes

Just a little thing here with the 3.4.5.10 beta-version for M1. Occasionally, when I am playing, the engine just quits and I hear no sound anymore. Restarting the engine does not solve the problem, it stays mute. The only thing that works is when I restart BFD3. It is annoying, but fortunately not all too frequent. Something that needs fixing, I think.

Everything else works ok, and I am very glad it does. Still waiting for the final release and the AU update.

3 Likes

I’m also in the same situation as you

macbook pro m1 macos Ventura after update - standalone application does not start does anyone have a similar problem?