What sort of grooves do you want?

Groove Monkee is pretty cool. They have just about every drum mapping available under the sun and you can demo each pack before buying.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was noticing they’ve got pretty much everything covered. The demo packs are a nice touch too.

1 Like

Hi Guys!

Many great suggestions so far.

I would like some Ginger Baker (of The Cream) grooves. (Polyrythmics)

Cheers
Jan Kristensen

1 Like

loose all over the grid, theres a million packs out there with tight “unquantized” drums. i want classic rock thats “sloppy”

You can use the Groove FX to make the timing looser with the Hum.Time dial and also Hum. Vel can add variation in the dynamics. BFD Vintage Rock grooves is decent.

+1 here, Im more interested in drum fills. I can program most beats I want, but not being a great drummer really limits me in fill creation.

2 Likes

Grooves from Weather Report, Pat Metheny Group, Billy Cobham and Vinnie Colaiuta

I would like Roots Reggae!

1 Like

hi, Im relatively new to using Midi Grooves. It can be exhausting going through the librarys. I find the labeling of the BFD Grooves not very useful. Some of the names do not hint at what the grooved may be ex. “cockroach” “ash tray” or whatever make the process more tedious.

I find groove monkeys labeling a bit more helpfull.

So, I suggest trying to name the grooves in a way that hints at what style the grooves are. I did find some great stuff in there. Its amazing how much I dont know about the power and depth of BFD after using it for many years.

UPDATE; as usual, I could file this in my dumb question file. Its the London Sessions that have the goofy names, BFD3 grooves are labelled well. So it seems its been addressed.

2 Likes

Just better as far as realism. One of my irks about BFD in the past has been how many midi grooves seem to have not been played by a drummer with an e-kit. It was like they were finger-drummed or something. Velocities would be all over the place, drums that would never be able to be played simultaneously would fire off. The groove section of BFD has always been 5th best compared to the other drum samplers.

More Abe Cunningham - Deftones

Gerry Conway and Dave Mattacks (first incarnation of Steeleye Span)

:slight_smile:

Plus more World music, Folk music in general, 6/8 times in particular…

1 Like

My first post here, but have been using BFD3 for years.

First it’s a great sounding piece of work, as to grooves, I can generally program what I need but straight ‘In the pocket’ non rock grooves, like a Abe Laboriel jnr, or a Steve Gadd grooves for George Duke or Larry Carlton esque pieces, I always seem to have to do those myself,

There’s plenty of heavy rock/ metal grooves but I don’t need much of that for my clients.

It’s mostly edm/dance/west coast jazz funk.

Had to produce a Ska song the otherday and that genre either thin on the ground groove wise.

Some of the fills are also a bit complicated, Were it a live drummer, id ask him to go easy on the complexity and more on matching the feel of the song.

Hope this helps

I agree that a lot of the BFD and 3rd party grooves are too busy in a lot of instances, especially the fills. BFD4 will have a better filter/tagging system, but a good search option would be, to be able to sort by simple/busy, etc.

The groove editor in BFD3 does have a simplify knob in the expanded controls, which can be useful to make grooves less busy. Sometimes it works well and sometimes not. It’s going to affect both the beats and fills, so there’s no way to just apply it to one or the other.

I just want a working midi map.
BFD 3 is poo in that aspect.
Open hats play when closed hats are played on my Yamaha dtx multi 12.
And I have written all the notes down on a note pad so I know which pad item is which and mapped them into the Cubase mapper and used GEn midi in BFD 3 but issues galore.
Only good for the finger musos.

I can play grooves ,been drumming since age 7 and now old so grooves I don’t care for.
Only a working midi mapper.