What do you want in BFD4?

That’s a tough one, it’s such an advanced piece of kit, there’s nothing out there like it, once you sit through the manual and do things as it suggests it becomes quite intuitive and easy to use. Putting the time in is well worth it.

2 Likes

Easier content management, less close mix of cymbals in presets (personal taste!), better UI for the effects section, custom groove builder (like a tap to find/transient detection for kick/snare/Tom etc).

1 Like

I really resent having to spot mic cymbals. :rofl:

3 Likes

We can let you off with the ride cymbal…just about! :laughing:

2 Likes

Agreed. BFD3 definitely has a steep learning curve, but if you’re a drum nerd and have the desire to learn about how drums are recorded and mixed in the real world, it gives you all the tools and control you need.

The knowledge you acquire, translates to live drums that you may have to mix in the future. Whilst a lot of the kits can sound great out of the box, for me the real fun is in making the kits my own and fit with the tracks I’m mixing. There’s a lot of satisfaction when someone says, “Dude, those drums sound insane”. Yeah, I did that.

1 Like

It would be good to have an indication in the info browser for presets, an icon or some indication of whether or not grooves are included with a preset, along with the picture of the kit in the preset

5 Likes

Need the ability to type in numeric values for effects parameters and also have the value displayed be underneath/near each parameter, instead of having to look up at that black navigation bar above the effects modules.

When loading channel presets over existing channels, there should be an option somewhere to leave the fader level where it was before loading the preset. If I already have my fader balance, but want to load my channel presets, I don’t want it to mess up my fader balance. I have to take note of the fader value before I load a preset. Kind of annoying.

5 Likes

Need the ability to turn on FX on a per channel basis. When I’m working on a specific channel, I don’t necessarily want the FX on all the other channels. I have to manually go in to each channel to turn off their FX, just so I can start working with the kick, etc. Unless I’ve totally missed something in the current build?

Can you not do this from the effects mixer?

Do you mean to have them all turned off via the global FX power switch but to then be able to just enable the effects for a particular channel without turning all the effects back on via the global FX power switch?

Steve

1 Like

Mixwave do something where you can go from a complete mix-ready preset to unprocessed tracks in the click of a button, which is interesting.

You can pretty much do that by disengaging the global FX power switch in the BFD3 mixer.

Steve

3 Likes

Yes sir, exactly. (Blah, blah)

1 Like

You can turn off FX globally, but if you want to work on a individual channel with FX turned on, you have to turn on the global FX, but then go into each channel and turn the FX off for the channels you want turned off.

1 Like

Solo? :thinking:
Bla bla nla

Steve

1 Like

Yes, a solo FX option per channel would be super duper.

1 Like

To that, I’ve recorded a couple of my own libraries during sessions and I never use spot mics, but not being able to remove the direct cymbal channels in BFD is a pain because when I purge via “remove unused channels”, the direct cymbals go away (good thing) but when I re-open the GUI they come back in random spots messing up the flow of my preset.

I have no way of typing that previous paragraph so it makes more sense, I hope it does… but yeah feature request (if not already mentioned) for BFD4 would be to let us remove any direct mic channel and have it stay out of the mixer and be unloaded from memory, and have that choice be retained for that channel when replacing the kit piece. Maybe have a prompt that pops up asking you which channels of the new kit piece you want loaded via checkboxes.

This forum makes me feel like I’m in the minority having few to no problems with BFD3s workflow, so I feel like I’m reaching for feature requests.

3 Likes

No I totally get you. One day BFD should really offer some sort of advanced panel for a drum where you can enable or disable channels and articulations in order to free up memory and make the mixer tidier. I definitely want something along those lines.

2 Likes

I would like to be able to reorganize the rows of the groove editor to match drum sheet music. I do not like having the bass drum on the top row.
I would like to be able to re-size the screen to match the resolution size of the monitor being used (Full screen). Grabbing one corner to resize would be great.
I would like pallets that can be un-attached to be moved to other parts of the screen or another monitor. Multi screen support.
Please add a prefix to the names of drums on standard drums and expansion packs. Examples : BFD3
BFD2 HPR (Horse power) BLKA (Black Album) You get the idea.
Improvement on locating of the groves themselves. Tap to find- Similar groove types- BPM type.
The ability to choose how many CPU’s of the processor you want the program to use.
Research EZD3 and SD3 for features that would be useful. Do not re-invent the wheel.

The architectural design software that I use to make a living with offers a couple of different ways to use the software. You can rent it monthly and you get all updates for free and free technical support. You can buy it outright and you get one year of updates and technical support. You can buy it and pay a yearly fee for updates and technical support. Al three includes all design expansion catalogs (comparable to BFD expansion packs).

1 Like

Currently, when you load a channel preset onto an aux ch, it doesn’t replace the name of the channel/bus with the one you previously saved. The name remains whatever aux# you loaded onto.

Ideally when you save a channel preset, it should save the bus routing and name.