What do you want in BFD4?

I know this is probably overkill, but how about giving some slightly tensioned up and down samples for the snares? I know there’s the tuning feature, but I’m talking changing the actual tension of the top and bottom heads. Wouldn’t have to be much… maybe a few 1/8, or 1/4 turns around the lugs, up and down in pitch.

I just watched a cool video from Creative Sound Lab and he tightened the bottom head slightly and loosened the top. He said it was something he read about Bonham doing. It really brought some more life out of it.

Drum Tuning - Why the Bottom Snare Head Matters More

1 Like

Just so you know, you can’t watch in the frame: people will need to click through and go to YouTube to watch. It is available there still

Thanks for that. I didn’t realize. I got rid of the embedded player and just left the text instead. Did you watch it? Pretty neat, huh? I’ve watched some of his other mixing vids, but didn’t know he was a solid drummer as well.

Think you can do it this way to just inbed the link and the the player

Drum Tuning - Why the Bottom Snare Head Matters More

Yeah just use the link icon, enter URL and title, and that does it

Yeah, good video. Haven’t worked with live drums much since I was much younger and used to play my brothers kit some. Definitely changed the tone of the drum. Cheers.

1 Like

Fixed. Thanks mate. I’m not real savvy with this stuff, but now I know.

1 Like

Great video, if this can be achieved then it would be well worth looking into it. The only thing that makes me think you are correct about it being overkill, is that with software the bottom head of the snare or any other drum is never going to fall out of tune like it does in reality.

A minor thing but whilst previewing a groove and wanting to here it with different kits I realised that the arrows in the dashboard are only for presets and not kits.

It would be useful if, when changing from the presets to the kits tab, the dashboard changed in order to reflect that and the arrows could then be used to go from kit to kit.
Whilst you’re at it, perhaps have it do the same for the kit piece tab too :thinking:

Steve

@Steve63 Wait, I thought you said you don’t really use the grooves? :rofl:

1 Like

What can I say, guilty as charged :slight_smile:

When I said, ‘really’ I meant it’s a very rare thing but it has been known to happen.

I have too many grooves from 20 years of freebies.
Obviously most of the ones that shipped with BFD and its expansions relate to particular kits and are suited for those kits and genres.

Steve

1 Like

In groove editor… I would like to see a ‘Nudge’ feature like SD3… Basically I can snap my edits to the grid I choose, but then click on any note and ‘nudge’ it by 128th note left or right… and if I nudge it 5 times to the left, there is a counter. It just makes it fast to manually humanize where I need too. I have a track pad right now- and to do the same thing means changing the grid to mess with with one note here or there… time consuming.

2 Likes

Here’s a cool one I just thought about… How about being able to save Groove FX settings separate from grooves and palettes would be useful. Being able to load settings with varying degrees of Groove FX would be a quick way to dial in the sound.

I’m going to reiterate this and be done. I would have to have proof BFD4 is thoroughly tested in VE Pro, whether it still has to run under Rosetta 2 or is native to Apple silicon SoC.

Today I had to set everything up in it, after it was setup in Nuendo (getting a standalone to work killed that), a true drag/a tedious four hours, and once I was done everything mono was panned to the left. Not 100% but it may as well have been, by the sound.
This has been true variously over years now (I have to instantiate a group bus and individually place the drums in it, now instantiate a Powerpanner and set it to mono.). I don’t care if or that it’s VSL’s fault, it’s pretty clear to me there is zero contact with them, never was/still isn’t.

It wouldn’t have working automation at all if it weren’t for me being a very squeaky wheel with ROLI support back in… 2014? The automation is perfect in Nuendo, one supposes it’s tested in Cubase at least, same difference really, but I’m back to my workaround in VE Pro. No way am I going to put more money into the application unless it’s taken seriously. I cannot be the single person on earth that runs every instrument in VE Pro. If it wasn’t for this being a second-gen. M1 it wouldn’t be feasible in Cubendo for me, or I’d have to do everything else before it and render, then maybe. I was liking it in Nuendo because I don’t have this micromanaging to do (I have to save the automation map just_before saying the VEP server project. Literally just before, a second save without having done is going to mean one or more slots have to be deleted and relearned at next launch. Strategies and having to be clever vs working normally

Somthing I’d like to be able to do when creating my own custom sample, is have the option to upload & add an overhead/room/ambient mic for each sample and have them automatically load and be available in the mixer, just as they do normally.
If I do that with my own snare for example, I can achieve it now by having the close mic as the main sample, then creating another new drum for the overhead samples, then link to it. But you can imagine, if I want to create even just a kick & snare with in/out/under/OH/room mics, I’m gonna need to link a ton of kit pieces together.
BFD already has the room mics function in the mixer, so when I load that custom kit piece, whichever extra mics I’ve added, if any, will be loaded with it and listed & controlled in the mics section of the mixer.

I’d love to completely get rid off the grooves by choice instead of just switching them off.
The groove editor needs another look, it has never invited me to do things.

And yes, resizing would be important- my number one prority.

Add 2-4 more mixer FX inserts per channel. Usually 6 will do it, but on occasion I find I need more. The alternative is to make another bus to add more, but I’d rather not if I don’t have to.

A simpler, more clever and intuitive way to set up channel outputs to mate with DAW channels.

5 Likes

Yes it would be great to have a window for that, easy and simple to just route everything at once and individually if need be.

I totally agree. At least a download manager that works more comprehensively. Why does it have to check files already downloaded every time you check for an update.

1 Like

No more mono ambient mics they just mostly don’t sound good or useful.
Fix the authorization mess for all of fxpansion like has been noted before.
Add some final mastering touches (width, depth, balance, stereo field stuff) to the samples to be able to even compete with Toontrack. Enough of this super narrow, bare-sounding samples. They never compete to a finished-sounding sample lib. like superior drummer. Record to tape, bring the samples to life. Give them some finishing touches.