What do you want in BFD4?

I’m no iLok fan, but I’d rather have that than the phone-home system.

1 Like

I cant see InMusic deciding to give up on their own licensing system to buy into someone elses, tbh.

I dont think iLok will ever happen with BFD unless it goes to another company again.

I’m sure you’re correct.

That’s why I don’t spend any time thinking about it. Not a fan of phone home, but going to iLok would require more than just inMusic’s participation. Running dual systems during a transition sounds dreadful. I suppose a bigger product team could pull it off, but BFD seems fairly resource-limited.

have to imagine every business believes they make the best decision based on available resources but would have been nicer to see a priority on their unique value and more than a few vague words on improvements, features, expansions rather than trying to implement a proprietary DRM.

checked on the cost to implement iLok and would be a surprised if it outweighs the projected hit from pirated copies. expect a proprietary scheme could be justified longer term, but iLok would have gotten them back to market faster with less problems despite any backlash from the iLok haters out there :slight_smile: . Would not have been my preference either but there are many premium products on the market that apparently believe iLok represents sufficient value for their business goals. InMusic could always dump it at some point in the future, and even claim it as a feature for BFD4 (as in iLok no longer needed).

still hoping for the best.

1 Like

Today’s vector graphics are often lazily drawn. No detail. Almost all of the flat/minimalist GUI design these days is ugly lazy garbage.

There’s also question about whether vector graphics use more CPU/GPU than just using large bitmaps (which can have more detail, without relying on skilled vector artists and dealing with drawing routines).

1 Like

I certainly want a light interface, nothing that needs a graphics card to stop the app from going into spasms.

There is just no need to make the interface heavier in anyway that takes unecessary extra processing power, GPU or otherwise. Yeah, I’m biased because of TINY BFD RPi edition :slight_smile:

The point still stands tho, I still never want to have to buy anything other than the cheapest/minimal powered GFX card necessary for an audio machine. We dont really have much in the way of bottlenecks on computers these days, for audio apps like BFD (amount of effects is a different thing! :slight_smile: ), so it would be madness to create a bottleneck just for having a heavier than needed interface. A graphically efficient interface, in terms of graphics processing power needed, doesnt mean skimping on info or functionality. Thumbs up all round :smiley:

1 Like

A sufficient set of differently-sized raster graphics would be fine (again, see Arturia’s approach - in the V Collection GUI - to providing usability on any size and resolution of display). As things stand now, BFD is torture when using a large, high-resolution monitor.

The other big problem with the product is that is crashes far too often. It cannot be relied upon, in my experience, and currently I consider it a waste of money (and maybe in a couple of years it will be fixed and improved… or maybe not… there’s no road map, virtually no communication and feedback from the “new” vendor). Too bad, the drums and cymbals generally sound great.

2 Likes

fwiw, I see the benefit in a vector graphics approach. The fundamental usefulness of the program is what it -sounds- like. imho the only purpose of what it -looks- like is to make -using- the sounds as easy as possible. (I’m not one for the marketing of “meticulously modeled pixels”). A vector approach should enable faster UI scalability and increased productivity with a consistent display for any and every kit plus lower cost to develop/maintain and faster time to market (no bit maps to create, manage, scale),

The current implementation seems a bit unfinished, Would be nice to see;

intuitive outlines for -all- kit pieces

• a circle for percussion is just lazy.
  • barring that, perhaps a user selectable fill color to help define a kit piece?

user defined location for -each- kit piece

• something a real drummer would find intuitive
  • current display seems a bit random when adding kit pieces

scaling of line weight (not a current issue here, but perhaps for larger displays?
visual indication for linked kit pieces?

2 Likes

Hello, my biggest request for BFD4 would be to be able to bounce individual drums separately from their own ambience channels to be able to mix them in my DAW and not in BFD itself. Right now the work around is tedious (soloing in turn each drum elements midi notes and setting the output buses to actual tracks in my DAW). Thank you for your attention.

1 Like

I love the feature of superior drummer/ez drummer of letting the user setting tap drums to filter midi grooves.

1 Like

I wrote what I did a while back there in a fit of pique… as usual I got over it. The every 30 days bit was a stone drag and it happened at the worst time, in some corrolary of Murphy’s Law.

At this point, besides that it works well here. However for BFD4, if there gets to be such a thing, I would like using it in VE Pro to be a real concern in testing it. I think it really isn’t for a few reasons.

I’m reasonably certain the two don’t get on as well as should a plugin and a host. Every first launch of a project, matters not at all which project, crashes. It is crashing at the point my second instance, “Batterie” with BFD3 in it is loading. It’s not a showstopper at all because the second launch almost always is successful. Some of it seems related to the authorization SNAFU.
One other issue is that at times a part of it, or all of it will not sound. It’s connected, there is nothing I can troubleshoot here as it’s not real complicated, it simply doesn’t put audio out. It’s getting MIDI in, but it’s dead. Now, it may be how I use it which goes against the grain of the hard-wired automation map.
At this point I really want all presets to conform to this particular custom map, as it can’t find its ass if the last one is very different (to the extent there are differences there are problems, and it can be tedious to correct) to this current one. If it’s very wrong, the automation from Cubase is working on wrong channels, OR the Cubase project upon launch itself crashes in confusion, can’t reconcile something.

So I have a few workarounds and I’m surviving alright, but these are time sucks and a little depressing.

to kind of hope to explain this mapping, somewhat, I should relate this bit: I use descriptive names for cymbals. Ride 1 etc, I am not going to correlate this by memory with what cymbal it is actually, the preset was built ad hoc and not in some particular order according to the default map. And where the default is ‘high tom 2’ there is likely a cymbal there, or percussion slot is a cymbal most of the time.
I like cymbals. I’m not trying to be Bozzio or anything, but right now it’s 12 cymbals. I’d far prefer a single instance to multiple instances as these are often larger templates, which are more problematic in terms of resources usage.

VE Pro takes my names for its names in the automap list; it will remember more than half of them, but at the points where I don’t conform as per the above it tends to just go with the name of the default map.
I used to make my own default map but this if anything exacerbates this issue.

YES, very much THIS^.

Today’s vector graphics are often lazily drawn. No detail. Almost all of the flat/minimalist GUI design these days is ugly lazy garbage.

I probably have to be a bit measured in how much I agree with this, but I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Guys,

I had my ups and downs w/ BFD. Foremost for me personally is stability in WIN and Mac Realm. I found that there are authorization problems in WIN10 in the new BFDDrums account.

You see two installer windows with green and red writings mentioning authorisation success AND at the same time authorisation failed, happy AND sad.
Forgive me, but I can´t control a proper installation for days now. Maybe it is a missing authorization by the company side or I am doing something really wrong.

Reinstalled WIN, several cleanings, defragmentation tools, VST PlugIns of all kinds manually removed, reinstalled and added manually in any kind of constellation and such.

plus: I installed the latest versions officially offered on bfddrums for downloads and so on.
I like the sound and the concept, sure, but it has to work properly.

THX for your help here
Best Tim

PS: Is it right, that the mixer window is not expandable? don´t know. Would be something to keep in mind just in case. THX

Hi Tim

Just felt the need to say, this thread is called, ‘What do you want in BFD4?’ because it’s asking users for suggestions for new features.

You should create a new thread and perhaps give a clearer explanation of how you are trying to install BFD3 and what exactly the problem is.

You say your trying to install BFD3 on both a mac and on a pc?
Are you having the same problems on both?

Steve

Hey Steve,

sure. Maybe there are instabilities, regarding win10 here. Just in case. No offense. Opened another threat of course.

THX
BX

1 Like

Scaling and resizing would be awesome, might be OK on a 1080p screen, but more people are moving to higher resolutions.

3 Likes

I think it would be absolute madness for any future BFD products to not have some kind of scaling and resizing. :wink:

4 Likes