What do you want in BFD4?

I don’t mind people discussing the auth system, retailers, their problems and frustrations. I really don’t. But ideally it wouldn’t be in this thread - this is for BFD4.

6 Likes

Then make a proper FAQ on this forum, that isn’t about proper etiquette and conduct, and is about problem solving. I would love to not have to talk to any of you, and be able to fix chronic issues with the program, but such isn’t the reality.

4 Likes

@Defreshed has a point.

If there was a thread specifically for these issues, it would help to keep other threads clean of this talk by virtue of having a thread to point people in the direction of. I really think a sticky thread with LM/Auth details would help, just showing details of how things currently work.

3 Likes

The authorising system is a valid discussion for BFD4. The other stuff can go in their own threads for sure, but not wanting the current cack-handed auth system in BFD4 is definitely a valid discussion for this thread.

2 Likes

Or something like in Logic Drummer where you can ask BFD to follow and audio file.
It would also be nice to be able to select a specific type of music (ie metal, rock, jazz, funk…) so BFP would create a midi map that follows the track/song and that complies with the archetypes of this music (sorry for my bad english)

Ya, a flag displayed in “Help> About BFD” might be something to live with. I’d suggest it gets reset -automatically- to a max value -in the background- every time you are connected online AND launch BFD.

I use a program that does this AND the reset is 6 months. Still not my preference, but if you must do something, there are preferred alternatives out there.

I’m certainly not suggesting the auth system is an invalid discussion but this thread was created solely for suggestions on NEW features for BFD4 and it seems to have become full of complaints about the auth system. The current auth system is, ‘current’ and so not solely pertaining to BFD4 and as such doesn’t belong in this thread.

Perhaps suggestions of how to better implement the auth system would be more helpful but I’m definitely in agreement with Drew on this.
Perhaps the thread might have been better if it had just been called, ‘BFD4 Feature Requests’ rather than, ‘What do you want in BFD4’

Steve

3 Likes

People will still say… The feature request that I most want for BFD4, is an LM that isn’t broken.

4 Likes

I know, sad but true and indeed I think I may have even been there already. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Me too. Its hard to avoid when it happens :confused:

2 Likes

I’ve been avoiding having to even open the LM because BFD3 has been behaving quite well for me for over a month now. I’m trying to ride it out as long as I can, until it tries to call home.

2 Likes

I see Steinberg have updated their statement on their upcoming LM.

It seems after discussion it’s going to be a one off activation and it can be used on 3 machines, but with only one machine in use at any one time by the individual licence owner.

I wish other companies would take note.

It just goes to show that it can be done.

That being said - After getting back my repaired windows PC, and re installing and re scanning all my BFD stuff I’m back up and running.

BFD and LM are behaving ok for me at present. And have not given me a massive headache like it has for most posting on here.

Neil.

2 Likes

Technically, that’s a bug fix. :wink:

Steve

3 Likes

I’m a broken record at this point (apologies in advance).

The LM time-out/phone-home/social credit score check is a feature, not a bug. Therefore, as a feature request, I request that this feature is not featured in BFD4.

1 Like

But BFD4 is a long way off (years) and the phone home scheme is NOW so has nothing to do with this thread.

Someone needs to create another LM thread so everyone can have their say there rather than here.

Steve

3 Likes

That could be somewhat deflating, i guess 2 “years” would be OK, the more you get in to the “years” , the less appealing it becomes, but what can you do?, you just got to wait.

I have owned them all, the best of the competition would be SD3, but to me it’s all hat and no cattle, it looks nice, has some nice features, but BFD3 clobbers it when it comes to overall sound. I ended up selling mine. So unless there’s some super duper new player on the horizon, I’ll be stayin’ put.

I tried out a new version sometime after inmusic took over, I can’t recall what it was, but I quickly went back to 3.2.3.3 (always make a disc image before major, risky changes :smile: ), and that’s where I will stay for the foreseeable future, works fine for me and doesn’t give me any trouble.

I’m basing that entirely on the length of time it took to go from alpha testing BFD3 in November 2012 to it’s release in September 2013 which was actually less than a year (it felt longer)

Also BFD3 was a complete rewrite of BFD2 so BFD4 might not be such major overhaul and therefore not as long.

Steve

the relaunch to resolving the LM issues is still a concern here. It seems to be running with less issues when I’ve tried the latest release, but the ‘server down’ posts are something I haven’t experienced with any other product.

Hopefully BFD4 is being worked on in parallel and lives up to (high) expectations. I’ve had to revert to an older version for existing projects but that leaves me unable use any of the expansions purchased after the relaunch.

I have an ilok. If BFD moved to ilok authorization I’d be content.

1 Like

I’ve been using iLok since 2007 (Pro Tools user). I can’t recall ever having a major problem with it. Maybe the drivers at one point long ago, but I haven’t touched Pace drivers or the iLok Manager app in years. It just works. I’d totally be fine with it, if it meant no more headaches with BFD.