What do you want in BFD4?

Yikes. Thats a real pyrrhic victory for getting out from under Roli. BFD being more under development than it has in years and its end result is being dropped for not having support! Whoops :slight_smile:

@Fender_Bender I did not say who the retailer is. Whoever it was didn’t explicitly say the exact words I stated above–he was more diplomatic about it. But the message seemed clear to me, especially after reading all the complaints here, and the virtual lack of response by those at BFD and inMusic.

I’m not here to bash BFD or inMusic. I am encouraged that they released new versions of the License Manger and BFD3 which seem to address many of the complaints posted here.

I think BFD3 or BFD4 could be an even better product. They just need to fix the technical issues. No more workarounds. No more scanning deep into the depths of the OS file system for BFD2 Preset and Kit files, some of which point to snare drums, hihats and cymbals which do not exist in BFD3. These are clearly HUGE oversights and should be corrected immediately.

I’m just getting started in the BFD domain, having purchased BFD3 only a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for something better than what was included with Logic Pro and Native Instruments and BFD3 seemed to be the best thing out there. So I come to this forum to see what the users have to say, what is being discussed, and boom…it was a giant s**t storm of complaints. Then I started running into issues myself with no clear solutions. I am wondering if I made a big mistake buying BFD3 and many Expansion packs. Even with the holiday sale discounts I’m into BFD for almost $800. It better be worth it.

4 Likes

To anyone requesting a countdown timer. No.

If there is no phone-home there is no need for a countdown timer. Get rid of that shit or lose customers.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Wow, $800 is quite a lot of dosh to be spent on software that you’re just getting into for the first time and taking a gamble on. You’re brave. I hope it works out for you and all of us in the end. There’s a lot of great potential with BFD.

Obviously the count down timer would only be required if they insist on keeping the current periodic phone home.

Which would you rather have, your sessions interrupted without warning, or the security of knowing that you have x amount of time to reauthorise?

Forewarned is forearmed as the say.

Steve

2 Likes

Neither, either the phone-home goes or I go (I’m sure some others too - some have already gone). I’m already close to dumping this program I am that pissed off with the way this whole takeover’s been dealt with, keeping ‘phone-the-authorities’ will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

1 Like

I very much doubt it will go completely and if it does go it won’t be for a while.

I’d like to be wrong of course but for me it’s not a deal breaker, just a minor annoyance.

Steve

2 Likes

@Fender_Bender Yes, it’s not a small amount of money. Perhaps we are just at different points in our musical journey, or at a different level of commitment. I agree about the potential of BFD. It does have great depth. That’s why I took the plunge.

This is the vibe I get. InMusic don’t give me much sense of customer service, just self-service. Even if they drop this LM crap, I’m not really ‘feeling it’ at the moment from this company and will probably jump ship unless something amazing happens to restore my faith in this product. Luckily I’m in no rush so I can wait a while.

I just meant, it’s a lot of money to drop on software that you haven’t really sussed out completely and that’s at a crossroads. I hope your risk pays off in the end though.

1 Like

That’s what I think too and it’s one very good reason for me to stick with BFD3.

That and the fact that, for me at least, it’s still superior to it’s competitors and if I thought there would be no BFD4 for another 4 or 5 years I’d still be happy to wait until toontrack or XLN Audio or someone brought out something better than BFD3.

I do know though, that BFD4 is in the pipeline. I think I’m allowed to say that much under my NDA. :thinking:

Steve

1 Like

The name of this sticky thread is “What do you want in BFD4” and it was created by the BFD Drums team so I’m pretty sure the fact that BFD4 is in some stage of development is pretty safe to say and public information.

3 Likes

Good point. :rofl: :rofl:

Steve

1 Like

I’d suggest that InMusic/BFD have a huge amount work on their hands if they expect current users to part with more money on BFD4 considering the all problems that have happened since the transition from FXP.

If Sweetwater have taken the decision to stop selling BFD because of:…

then it’s not just a handful of core users that are complaining on this forum - the issues must be much more widespread.

BFD have had nearly 2 years since having been taken over by InMusic - does anybody truthfully think that time has been particularly positive or constructive ?

Worth revisiting this thread:

1 Like

BFD as a brand is alive. Without InMusic, it wouldn’t exist at all. So yeah, while InMusic has made a mess of the auth system (my own opinion), BFD as a product is live, it’s being updated, and there’s stuff in the works. None of that would’ve happened otherwise.

So I do think some of what’s happened in the last two years has been both positive and constructive when compared to the alternative, which would have been BFD having been completely abandoned. It’s clear from Skot and Drew’s post in that’s thread that’s what the BFD brand was up against following the Roli debacle.

@Fender_Bender I agree. When one shells out money for a product they should expect it to operate correctly.

When I bought BFD3 and the Expansion packs it seemed that most of the immediate issues people were having had been fixed with updates to BFD3 and the License Manager. So I felt confident that the BFD/inMusic development team were working hard to fixing any lingering issues.

My subsequent issues are about one Expansion missing a snare drum that was supposed to be included, and 2 Expansion packs not loading BFD2 Presets and Kits correctly because they rely on snare, hihat and cymbals that apparently are part of the BFD2 Core Library, which I do not have, since I am new to BFD with BFD3 and didn’t upgrade from BFD2.

I have another irritating issue that has suddenly popped up. Some items/paths in BFD3’s browser are showing as not authorized, and will not load into BFD3. They are indeed authorized, and show as such in the License Manager. What’s more troubling is that this problem is random, with different items/paths showing as not authorized each time I rescan. I haven’t had the time to fully document this to create a technical support request, but should be able once the holidays are over.

Bottom line is I agree with @Steve63 that BFD3 is the best piece of drum software available, and my expectation is that BFD4 should have all of the issues ironed out. Maybe the folks at BFD/inMusic will do what other software developers have done, and that’s to offer current owners of buggy software (BFD3, in this case) a free or minimal-cost upgrade to the new, bug-fix version.

@arthurcclarke

I never said that it was Sweetwater. Please don’t miss-quote me, and read my subsequent post above to clarify.

This is starting to piss me off. People who make irresponsible comments like this could start an unnecessary war, pissing match, or even lawsuits between Sweetwater and inMusic.

I should never had made my initial comments above, and @Fender_Bender should not have insinuated that I was talking about Sweetwater. I will be more careful about what I post in public forums.

I think you’re making it out to be something more than it is. First of all, I believe Sweetwater stopped carrying BFD products when they were still acquired by FXpansion?/Roli, way before inMusic afaik?

And Sweetwater or any other retailer have the right to choose which companies and products they sell, so I highly doubt it’s going to start anything.

It should send a message to InMusic though, that they need to do some work, if they want to sell BFD products through them again. I think that’s a good thing.

@Fender_Bender Peace brother. I can agree with you that Sweetwater, or any other retailer, has the right to choose what products they sell. Also, that inMusic should be concerned if their products are being dropped by some retailers.

In their defense, I do believe that BFD/inMusic is trying to fix the problems that exist in the current BFD product, and those that arose from the change in ownership. According to what I’ve read here, BFD had been neglected in recent years, and inMusic is trying to resurrect the product. Here’s hoping they succeed.

MY BAD: I should never have said a word about an unnamed retailer dropping BFD products. It was a big mistake on my part. I don’t know what I was thinking. Hopefully, this is the last that any of this is mentioned again.

This is coming in 3.4.4.

2 Likes