Version 3.4 needs access to internet just to run?

“Having said that, I don’t think many people have their DAWs disconnected, not that that helps those few very much. I think this is intentional though.”

Drew if this is the case I will go over to Superior Drummer and just use BFD3.3. My computer is always offline when working and only online to update etc. My internet is often down living out in the country. This fine for people who don’t mind being online. I am not one of them. I can’t think of any music software that has this requirement. Certainly nothing I use and I have a lot of plugins. Perhaps you could let us know what the official thinking actually is so I can plan ahead and perhaps create a BFD3 to Superior Drummer drum map. This would be a very painful thing for me as I have nearly all the expansions and know BFD3 very well and love it. However I don’t want to have to work on line.

Edit: You might think that many people do not work without their computer connected to the internet and this may well discount many people who use a dedicated music Laptop/desktop PC/Mac. This is a computer that I only use to make music. I tend not to like too many things running in the background and like to keep the more invasive anti virus software turned off when I don’t need it. I would even accept an iLok authorisation. So please come forward and make a statement on this subject.

4 Likes

In case it makes any difference I’ll add my voice here. The published requirements for the software are only an internet connection to download, not a periodic check-in.

“I don’t have the issue of BFD not working if I’m off of the internet. I just disabled my network card and BFD3 still works just fine and as per normal.”

Do you have Melodyne? Disabling the internet card will disable Melodyne. The people at Celemony told me this is by design.
There is just no way around this terrible design change for BFD for all users.
I HOPE they change this!

Yep, it will be a major dissappointment if it turns out that this is intentional.

I do not have Melodyne.

So, you’re good to go unless some other company decides to tie it’s software to the internet card or some other hardware to it’s “computer profile” before the program can run.

I can’t believe that working offline is something the developers have ignored. With a large project you can do without all the stuff running in the background using up CPU, not to mention anti-virus, Windows updaters and other related software. It is surprising what goes on in the background. I turn off all of this stuff to streamline my computer for music creation.

1 Like

Ok, I just did a test. If I disable my Ethernet card before I open up my DAW with BFD3 in my project, then BFD3 will not work.

If you start BFD3 with the internet connected and then disable your internet, BFD3 will still work. It seems it just needs to see the internet to start. Not really ideal anyway. What if my internet is down for some time? Then I can’t write/record with BFD3? Kinda not cool.

Yeah… unfortunately, I usually have some kind of internet problems once every few weeks. :pensive:

Yeah, I did the same test, but I’m not sure it’ll continue to work. I thought I had seen it fail.

Then in the interests of stability “having” to work on line at all times is a stupid idea. “Choice” being the point here. I am really fed up that no one on the development team is answering these questions. I don’t like being taken for granted. If the BFD team want added security then choose the iLok system, but debate this point with users or see a decline in the user base.

Edit:
It seems that Drew has stated that this offline issue will be resolved in the next update. I have not seen this particular post, so perhaps a positive sign.

I’m sorry, but I don’t want iLok either. I want to be able to use the product I paid for just as I have been doing for the past several years. iLok would be another reason to switch to another product.

I haven’t seen this either. Really would like to see some official word about this here.

The message was, “there is a bug currently where if you’re offline, the auths become inactive”

There are talks to make it so the licence manager dials home every now and then, Drew is trying to make them reconsider this.

That’s pretty much it in a nutshell.

Steve

Well Tone I am afraid there was a little self interest here, as I already have a number of plugins using the iLok system. I have a iLok stick, but you can link to the computer if you wish. However, I do understand your point.

I will simply be done with BFD if this is not changed.

1 Like

This is from Celemony’s website: You only need internet access for original activation
Activation Computer-based or iLok USB dongle (2nd or 3rd generation), Melodyne essential only computer-based. Internet access is required for the first activation.

Yes, it’s not a question of being difficult, but if I have to put my DAW online simply to RUN a plugin then that plugin goes…

3 Likes

Even if it’s once or twice a year?

Steve

Well, I did say ‘put online simply to run…’ I do that more than once a year :slight_smile: I’m not talking about activation. I’m also concerned about when a business is sold - as in BFD3 - and the activation servers become unavailable. I bought a perpetual licence for BFD2 and now have to upgrade to BFD3 just in case I need to replace my graphics card…there has to be a way of providing a one-off perpetual licence, or an explicit statement in the EULA that, if the business sinks, a non DRM version will be provided. These things cost too much money to be so ephemeral.

If the server goes down, thats the software on borrowed time. If the company goes down, thats the software on borrowed time.

My DAW PC is not on the internet, its kept off the net. I go through months at a time without any internet. This could be quite a pain in the arse :slight_smile:

Online checks arent really of benefit to anyone, and just open us up to potential problems. It’ll be a shame if this is a continued path BFD chooses.