Version 3.4 needs access to internet just to run?

Mine had been chugging along since 2010.

There are 8 Scan 3X systems and the size is much the same but the price difference isn’t, ranging from entry level £1,056 to top of the range £2,053.

My system isn’t there any more but it’s close to the TZ490.

If there was an M1 machine that could run windows I might have gone for that option but this should do for another 10 years.

Steve

Hi Steve63

It’s the last one on their page - about 2 ‘n’ half grand. But there’s no option for an nvme drive caddy, that takes 4 2tb nvme drives that’s another fortune on top. I’m after it with at least 64gb ram. it’s the AMD Ryzen 9.

Murt.

I kind of feel we’re all beta testers at the moment.

Sure I’ll still use BFD but I have not bought an expansion since Wooden Snares (whenever that came out) because I was uncertain on BFD’s future. I am still uncertain and they have some work to do to gain my confidence back. Treating me like a criminal is not one of those steps.

4 Likes

Wow!

The last one I see on their page is the RX570 Thunderbolt, I had to borrow to buy the one I got but that does look the dogs whiskers.

Steve

1 Like

That’s certainly true.

Steve

1 Like

Steve63.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I have to borrow - wife not very pleased.

All very necessary though.

Has to be up to date as possible - and as near as spot on as can be. Sadly - “nothin’” is futureproof.

Murt

1 Like

I’m not fantastically keen on having to be onlne in order to use BFD, I must say.

1 Like

Wow. I was trying to figure out why standalone was working but the plugin wasn’t, as my DAW is firewalled. Worst of all it seems I can’t punch a hole just for BFD since they use Google services, which necessitates whitelisting a rather large block of IP addresses.

This is especially discouraging since it necessitates an internet connection when traveling or performing.

Drew has said that this won’t be the case in the next build but there is talk of having to lg in once a month or so which hasn’t gone down well with a lot of users.

Steve

Hi Steve63.

It’s not very pleasing.

But management always win.

I can see users drifting and finding alternatives.

I don’t have a specific problem with it - Unless we forget to log in.

Then - will the fiasco start? Possible - maybe - who knows.

Neil

Thanks for the info.

It’s puzzling, the AIR, AKAI, other InMusic products use iLok which authenticate one and done to computer or dongle, and optional cloud. I’m less comfortable with custom online DRM because once the authentication server goes down or dev gets hit by a bus there goes your tool. On the other hand this shows a degree of autonomy.

In any event, monthly checks are an overreach and a major change midstream that was not communicated before the account transfer. It’s another critical mission thing to take up headspace, a moving date on a calendar, and it’s simply an unnecessary complication people do not need in their lives.

The sooner the team get out in front of this, the better. I assume there are internal discussions going on, but the longer it gets left, the more this will be cemented as a ‘true’ internet rumour :slight_smile:

I’m not going to vent how this is a problematic idea just yet. Drew has been very receptive and responsive thus far with a lot of the issues users are having, as well as their concerns for the future. Hopefully this will be re-thoughtout for the next update.

1 Like

I don’t have the issue of BFD not working if I’m off of the internet. I just disabled my network card and BFD3 still works just fine and as per normal.

2 Likes

Well now thats interesting… :slight_smile:

Finally migrated, thanks to a forum post on Steinberg and also how to find this forum here.
Maybe this only online working is just related to Windows. Here on Mac latest Catalina, no problem running BFD 3.4 when blocking it to connect to the internet.

Really? That’s great! It shows it was more a bug than a consious decision. :grimacing:(Unless the bug is on the mac side):grimacing:

Weird, I’m running the latest version of Catalina here and I could not launch BFD 3.4 as a plugin or standalone with wifi disabled. I had to roll back to the FX version until they get this sorted.

Ok, have to clarify this. I just blocked the attempts of BDF 3.4 to connect to somewhere with Little Snitch. I now tried to start it with Wifi off. And yes indeed, crashing. That’s crap, of course. I hope that it is not actually the intention of the developers that BFD only works when wifi is enabled. For me a no go.

P.S.
wants to connect to
auth.profile.inmusicbrands.com TCP-Port 443 (https)
internal.bfddrums.com TCP-Port 80 (http)

1 Like

Unless I’m a beta tester, I find that unacceptable. Thanks for posting this info

1 Like