Read this if you need replacement Eldorado & London Sessions

P.S. I have had no luck trying to use the Support part of the bfddrums site, you fill in your info but when you try to send you message, nothing happens.

What he said. Can you please help me, oh great and powerful @BFD_Drew ?!

In case you haven’t already figured out by reading: BFD 3 is now owned by a company called inmusic. Your BFD 1 and 2 are now dead, and not supported. However, those sounds from BFD 1 and 2 have been made into expansions, “Eldorado” and “London Sessions” respectively, so that the “new” BFD 3 can use those sounds, because your old serials for BFD 1 and 2 don’t mean a thing to BFD 3. Neither does their installation, don’t waste your time juggling paths around.

Instead supply Drew with your email and serial numbers, and he will issue new serials for your expansions so that they work in BFD 3.

We’ve all been through this, the migration didn’t automagically sort this issue unfortunately. Just wait for Drew and he’ll sort you out.

Thank you, my friend.

So how do these new “expansions” affect old projects? What about my old custom user kits?

Will “Eldorado” and “London Sessions” also solve my Deluxe, XFL, and Zildjian Digital Vaults problems?

Eldorado and London Sessions are the sounds of BFD 1 and 2 only. Deluxe, XFL, and Zildjian are expansions which I don’t have, so I can’t speak for certain, but I think you will be given new serials for those.

They don’t have any differences from what I’ve seen so far, but for kits, if I were you, I’d save each project’s unique kit into a kit file for good measure. Every kit that you have saved in BFD will remain on your computer, and you can import them manually if they don’t show up automatically, but kits that you have set up in projects and NOT saved them, I’d save those.

Deluxe, XFL, and the Zildjian serials migratred with the rest of my serial numbers. They also download through the License Manager, if that’s needed.

Deluxe and XFL migrated over to InMusic, and I can see their serial number in my InMusic online account, and in License Manager, but I cannot get the products to appear in BFD 3, despite pointing Set Up Content Locations at them. I even tried deleting all content and redoing Set Up Content multiple times.

Zildjian would not migrate over from my Fxpansion to InMusic account.

I was eventually able to achieve “Basic” forum status and get a PM to Drew, but have not received a reply from him. I also found the nearly hidden way to get an email through to tech support and was delighted to get a reply back within 24 hrs. Different tech, not Drew. I sent this tech my serial numbers, and details about my issues. Hopefully someone can help…

Try reinstalling using the download provided in the license manager. It’s technically a different product, with a different serial number.

One of the Zildjian products was replaced with another, years ago. I forget which. There’s a replacement product and serial number. The newer one migrates over, but the old one doesn’t, and needs @BFD_Drew’s assistance.

Wow! Who knew?! I didn’t know that! Nor did I know you could download from the license manager! I’ll give it a try!

And do I need to reinstall the BFD 3 Core Library too? Because I didn’t do that. I just pointed it at my old content… Which seems to have worked for BFD 3 core, and Andy Johns, but not the others.

Off the top of my head I don’t remember what I did and didn’t reinstall. The license strings are all different. Maybe I did them all? That seems excessive, but I’ve never been known for moderation.

So it seems the license manager is the ONLY way to download your content. Your serial numbers appear in your InMusic online account under Product Registrations, but when you try to download it just says: “No downloads for this product. Please check later.”

If you hadn’t pointed me in the right direction, I would never had known you could (or must) download from the license manager… The license manager itself leaves much to be desired… For instance, if you try to download just one product, it starts downloading ALL of your products and you have to stop it (or else wait forever while it redownloads stuff you already have!)

There is so much that is not explained in the Migration Instructions.

Thanks so much! Thank god for forums! Once again the fellow user has your back better than official tech support.

I’m downloading and installing now, which is taking all day… Fingers crossed it will all work in the end! :blush:

OK, tech support contacted me via email (someone else, not the mythic “Drew” who remains MIA), and he sent the missing serial numbers to my License Manager. I downloaded everything from the License Manager and ran all the installers, and opened BFD3 and deleted and redid all of my Content Locations. My products are:

BFD 1 (Now Eldorado)
BFD 2 (Now London Sessions)
BFD XFL
BFD Deluxe
Andy Johns
Zildjian Vol 1

It seems that all of the drum pieces came though, but not all the kits!

I deleted everything and redid Set Content Locations again, and this time the Andy Johns kits showed up, but still no XFL or Deluxe kits! Drum pieces, but no kits.

After many more hours grinding away at this, I finally believe I have figured out a way to get my missing kits. The kits are there in the installer, they just don’t get installed when you run the installer! You have to manually import them! Here is the procedure (Mac):

1. BFD3 ->File-> Import Kits
  2. Navigate to the installer and dig down into the folders thus:
    Downloads->BFD Drums->BFD Deluxe->Installer->Payload->BFD2System->Kits
  3. Select your missing kits. (Hold Command to select more than one kit in the list.). Click Open.
  4. Confirm to convert to BFD3 format.
  5. Choose folder to Import To. You must choose the following location:
    Documents->BFD Drums->BFD3->Kits
  6. Click open.
  7. Repeat the above for other missing kit sets (e.g., in my case XFL).
    Then, FINALLY your missing kits will be in InMusic BFD3!

I hope this helps some other poor soul suffering through this confusing, under-documented, and buggy migration process.

I will also add that when communicating with tech support via email to get my serial numbers, I specifically explained that Deluxe and XFL etc were not appearing and ask for detailed instructions on how to get them working, but the reply I got back was a single sentence that my serial numbers had been transferred over to the License Manager.

I had to figure out the rest of this through the kind assistance of this forum, and many hours of persistence. I believe I’m now getting close to full restoration of what I had under Fxpansion BFD3. I still need to investigate to see if all the presets and grooves came through…

Best,
Babz

There are two ways of doing this, you can either go to the contents tab and click ‘Add BFD2 paths’ then rescan.

If that doesn’t work there is IMO a better way and that is to open the installer files using WinRar or 7zip or whatever, you’ll find a folder called, ‘installer’ open that and then look in ‘Payload’ you’ll see different folders but you’ll have either one, or all of these, BFD2System and in some cases BFDEcoSystem.

Open those up and you should find folders for any of the presets, kits and grooves that came with it.
You can then copy those over to your kits and preset folders, the defaults should be at, C:\ProgramData\BFD Drums\BFD3\System

I have had this happen and with some odd results like duplicates or BFD3 not converting them properly so take not of what kits and presets are included and if they don’t show up after a scan you might have to import them individually and save them in their default locations.
It may ask you if you want to replace an existing preset with the same name which you will need to do.

I say the above way is better, obviously it’s a lot more laborious but it does work.
I would only do it if Adding BFD2 paths doesn’t pick up all your presets.

Just don’t delete the install files until you know you have all the kits/grooves and presets

Steve

Thanks. Yes, Add BFD2 Paths does not work. The rest of what you describe sounds similar to what I did, but I’m on Mac and it sounds like your instructions are for Windows.

Best,
Babz

Yes my instructions were for windows so not sure what the default locations are where you’d want to move the kits/presets and grooves but you’ll need to extract the dmg installer and you should find all the other folders the same as they are for windows.

Steve

Just wanted to add that I was able to use the above procedure to import my Fxpansion BFD2 custom user kits. For step 2, navigate to the following location (Mac):

Documents->Fxpansion->BFD2->Kits

However, I should also add that the same steps will NOT work for importing Presets.
That is, similar steps, but choosing “Import Presets” in Step 1, and navigating to Documents->Fxpansion->BFD2->Presets in step 2. When you do this, the Presets are grayed out and cannot be selected.

Hope this helps other users.

Best,
Babz

1 Like

Attempting to message you Drew, I’m a new user. I need to install the latest version of BFD on my Win 10 64 bit PC running Pro Tools 2021.3

My InMusic account is not displaying all my BFD products: missing are El Dorado and 8 Bit Kit.

I’d like to be able to install and get up and running ASAP.

Can you assist? Thanks

Correction Drew - 8 Bit Kit is showing after all, El Dorado is the only expansion missing.

Tagging @BFD_Drew 20 chars

Just making another contact attempt Drew, I don’t appear to have the ability to message you… not enough street cred??