Is BFD3 abandoned now?

So today I’m having a day off with a stinking cold, so I’m gonna remove BFD2 & BFD2 library, and remove & re-install Licence Manager and BFD3 & BFD3 library and start again.
I’m gonna leave my Platinum Samples packs, I can’t see how they should affect how it works. They’re all on disc, so will take a whole day to re-install and one of my discs is scratched, so I’d have to pay for a download version.
Hopefully this will do the job.

You shouldn’t have to pay for a download version, and I’d highly recommend just downloading the installers rather than using the installers on the DVD’s. Those are obsolete now.

2 Likes

Oh, I emailed them to ask and they said I would have to pay $22/product for a download version.
Anyway, I’ll try this leaving them there for now, since they all seem to be working fine anyway, then if I still have problems, then I’ll go for a complete job.
Cheers Drew.

Some of the Platinum Samples licenses work. Others will need an updated license from @BFD_Drew. In no case is it a different install for PS, so just leave it there and see how it works out.

1 Like

Thanks Kafka, yes I’ve left it there. I’m just at the stage of re-installing now. LM all good, BFD3 all good so far. It recognises & loads all of my PS expansions, so just the BFD expansions and London Sessions to replace the BFD2 library to go, then test it all in Cubase. Actually going much quicker than I expected.

3 Likes

All done now, mostly it all seems to be working, but the bugs I had before are still there.

Loading projects I had previously made with BFD3, but which had used some BFD2 library now load fine with the London Sessions expansion with no exclamations on missing kit pieces, so that’s solved.

BFD3 is unable to load BFD2 presets at all. This morning, I went thru all the most import and projects I had made with BFD2 and saved each kit as a preset, as advised before. For some of them, I had saved just the kit, so I can load those, but all need re-mapping and re-mixing.

BFD3 still crashes Cubase every time I close a project.

A tip for your Cubase crash… Try de-activating BFD3 before you close the session. That should work.

A good idea, is to go through all kit/preset locations and delete any BFD2 versions, where you have the same in BFD3 format. Then re-scan the content locations. I just went through and re-organized all that stuff and made sure all my kits/presets/grooves were in my user/documents location, instead of scattered and also installed in the BFD3 system locations. Much better now having everything in one place. I actually found a bunch of grooves that weren’t scanned before for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Ah yes that works, thanks Fender!
So I can ‘Disable track’ in Cubase. That way I don’t lose anything, or have to re-load BFD3 and re-load the kit. Save & close and now it doesn’t crash.
Open the project again and enable track - BFD3 and the kit is all still there and playing as it should.
So, now just need to see how to retrieve my BFD2 presets without having to re-install BFD2 and that should do it!

1 Like

@Lee Nice. Yeah, or you can disable the entire track. In Pro Tools, you can just deactivate a plugin on the track, so that’s what I tend to do. I’ve been in the same situation you were, with a funky plugin crashing sessions on closing. Still, that is a bug that you should file a proper report for.

For BFD2 presets, just load each one at a time and save it as a BFD3 preset. Then afterwards, go into that file location and delete the BFD2 presets. Then rescan user content paths. You can’t use BFD2 mixer presets in BFD3. I held onto mine anyways for whatever reason.

I tried that, but BFD3 will not even load a BFD2 kit preset. My saved BFD2 presets are just in a folder on the desktop, not sure if that’s what is stopping it, but I can’t see why. When I check the file type, it is exclusively only allowing bfd3 preset files.

@Lee That’s odd… I just loaded a BFD 2 preset fine. You have to go to the File menu, Load Preset from file and select the file. Then, save preset and it will save it under user presets as a BFD 3 preset.

1 Like

That was actually my problem, BFD3 would not open a BFD2 kit preset. However, I just tried it in stand alone mode and that works, so that’s pretty much every problem either solved or worked around now.
Thanks all for your posts, much appreciated.

1 Like

I had a Focusrite Safire PRO 40 and same problem with driver issue. It’s now used as a mic pre feeding an Audient iD 14 via adat. Beautiful interface left in Purgatory.

1 Like

You know they offer a 50% off trade in deal at Focusrite if you wanna update the actual device? I detailed my interaction with Focusrite over this, here - Focusrite Saffire Firewire Woes - Page 4 - Cockos Incorporated Forums

1 Like