Is BFD3 abandoned now?

What, so even people like me who have managed to sort their issues and have been running the latest version perfectly fine for the last 3 months are supposed to ditch the best drum vst on the market at your request? :thinking:

In short, NO!, you may not make such a suggestion.

You are of course perfectly free to find alternatives if itā€™s not working for you.

Steve

4 Likes

Agreed. BFD3 works really cleanly for me - even reauthorization. Iā€™m sure I have a larger installation than almost everyone here. Canā€™t tell you the differences between mine and those who are having problems. If someone wants to try to constructively understand what they have, Iā€™m willing to help. If not, cā€™est la vie.

1 Like

I donā€™t have the London Sessions expansion, so I guess this must be from the BFD2 library, they are available to me and working fine in BFD2. So am I now to remove the BFD2 core library from BFD3?

Iā€™m gonna screen grab what happens when I shut down Cubase and Iā€™ll post the crash dump to see what that might be.

If you want to use the BFD2 library inside BFD3, you need to get a replacement serial for London Sessions. Thereā€™s a sticky thread about it.

1 Like

Ah ok thanks, so Iā€™ve message Drew about that now :+1:

1 Like

So hereā€™s what I get regarding Crashing BFD3. Iā€™ll happily remove everything & start from scratch, if it means I can get it working without problems, altho I am a bit reluctant to remove BFD2, since I have a lot of projects that use it and I donā€™t want to have to migrate it all to BFD3 if I can avoid it.

I would start by selecting those 2 greyed out BFD2 content paths and BFD2 program files and remove the paths from BFD3. It canā€™t use them anyways, so thereā€™s no reason to have them in there.

I was actually going to make a post about the Manu Katche snare and whether weā€™re ever going to get a replacement serial for it. As of now, you canā€™t use that snare in BFD3.

1 Like

Thanks Fender,
Unfortunately, it hasnā€™t made any difference.
Just to add, it also randomly crashes Cubase whilst Iā€™m in the middle of working on a project, not every project, just some of them. Then I have to re-open the project in safe mode and remove BFD3 in order to be able to open it in normal mode again.

1 Like

The bonus snare is working here. The LM lists a new SN.

Can you explain exactly how you got this to work?

Just a positive voice on this matter: Earlier on, as I was switching over to BFD3 via inMusic, I had some issues. But now the software seems to be working well on both my Mac & PC. I think part of the issue was coming from FXPansion BFD2 and still having the old library installed and listed as a content folder for BFD3. I now have the London Sessions data and all is working well.

However, my music still totally sucks and I canā€™t play drums, for which I do blame inMusic. :smiley:
[Iā€™m just kidding ā€” itā€™s the fault of the subterranean, reptilian shape-shifters].

1 Like

EM from Drew back in Jun 2021, had used this in a number of older sidesā€¦

Right then!

Here are your replacement serials:

BFYMK-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Please let me know if this actually works for you, because if it does that would speed up a job I have.

Make sure youā€™ve installed the BFD License Manager from bfddrums.com/downloads.html

Then when youā€™ve logged into your account in BFDLM, under the products menu you should see register a serial number. Register your serial above, and then youā€™ll be able to authorize it and download it.

The content needs to be redownloaded and reinstalled unfortunately. Apologies for that.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Cheers,
Drew

1 Like

Cool, thanks man. I didnā€™t realize he was issuing replacement serials for this. I sent him a PM.

Ok, so I guess my best bet now is to wait for a serial for the London Sessions to replace the BFD2 content, then just nuke the whole thing and start over.
The only downside for me is, I then lose BFD2, which I have used extensively for older projects, so if I ever wanted to open any of those, Iā€™ll have to re-map the drum tracks to BFD3 and mix a whole new kit. But I guess if thatā€™s what it takes to make it work, then so be it.

I donā€™t actually have any issues with it phoning home every 30 days or whatever, my PC is always connected, I just want it to work without crashing. Although I do have a concern for the future with phone home products in general, for example, if a company goes bust and disappears, then presumably, so does everything weā€™ve invested?

1 Like

I think we all had to go through this process when upgrading from BFD2 to BFD3.
Itā€™s a laborious chore but I canā€™t see how else it could be done.

I had to open all of my projects that used BFD2 and save everything as a BFD2 preset with the name of the song. Then I removed BFD2 from the project, loaded BFD3 and then imported the BFD2 preset I saved, into BFD3. I had to make lots of changes to the drum mix and it took a while to get through all 137 of my projects but it worked well.

I have kept BFD2 and itā€™s .WAV core library as I have plenty of spare storage on my desktop, but I could happily get rid of it nowā€¦

Steve

2 Likes

Steve.
Same here.

But I decided to remove everything BFD2 related.

Iā€™m now in the middle of updating all my presets ready for BFD4ā€¦?

My only hope now is that BFD3 makes VST3. With Steinberg finally dropping VST2.

Iā€™ve now updated everything to VST3 apart from BFD3 and Superior Drummer. Itā€™s been a nightmare with quite a few mistakes on the way.

I know Iā€™ll have to update all my projects again if and when these drum plug-ins achieve VST3

Neil

1 Like

Genius! Iā€™ll do that!
I reckon thatā€™s easily gonna be a long dayā€™s work, but great to know I can save everything like this. I guess I can just save each as the song name to save myself some time, so Iā€™ll only need to import them if & when theyā€™re needed.

Just a question: My Platinum Samples expansions are all on disk. I lost one of the Jim Scott disks, so I need to pay $22 to get a download version. I have a few of their expansions. Will the rest install ok into BFD3, once Iā€™ve removed BFD2? Since BFD3 wasnā€™t around when I bought those expansions.

Yes, thatā€™s exactly how I did it.

As for your second question.
If you donā€™t see those PS kits in your License manager I think you can input the serials for them manually and then download them them that way. I did it with some other kits that @BFD_Drew provided new serials for.

In fact I would suggest contacting Drew to see if they need new serials as that might be why theyā€™re not showing up in your LM. :thinking:

Steve

Ah no, they do show up in my LM, just I donā€™t know if a fresh install will affect them now, since I will be installing direct to BFD3, which didnā€™t exist when these disks were made, as opposed to installing to BFD2, then upgrading to BFD3.

What, so even people like me who have managed to sort their issues and have been running the latest version perfectly fine for the last 3 months are supposed to ditch the best drum vst on the market at your request? :thinking:

In short, NO!, you may not make such a suggestion.

You are of course perfectly free to find alternatives if itā€™s not working for you.

Steve

Oh, awesome, I wonā€™t suggest that.

Perhaps a good suggestion is that I should have been a little more positive instead of throwing my toys out of the cot.
BTW the fix is simply to log out of LM, Uninstall All BFD, then log back in.
After that, it happened again but logging out and back in of license manager fixed it.

I have actually been using BFD for years, this is the first time I have had an issue and it just happened to be right when something was due.

@Steve63 thanks for your help and sorry if I seemed unappreciative.

1 Like