BFD3 HAS BEEN DISABLED...yet again [resolved]

After a couple of months of not having access to BFD3 because the License Manager wouldn’t work with the program, I deleted everything BFD3 related from my computer and downloaded an earlier version. That seemed to get things working and everything was okay until tonight when I installed Cubase 12. Now, BFD3 isn’t working again…stupid me…

And yes…I signed out and signed into my account…many…many…many times…It doesn’t work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? I’ve gone through old threads when I originally had this problem and nothing worked until I deleted everything off my computer. I really don’t want to do that again, but I guess I will if there are no other suggestions. I downloaded the most recent version of BFD3 and installed it through the license manager. I don’t remember the old version I had that was working with Cubase 11, but it wasn’t working with Cubase 12 anyways…And the new version isn’t working. At least when I had this problem before, I could get it working through standalone (even though i never use standalone) but now standalone wont work or BFD3 in Cubase 12.

I wish this problem would get fixed. It’s absolutely ridiculous this keeps happening. Are there any reliable cracks of BFD3? Is it sad that Im at that point where I’m ready to download a cracked version of the software that I already paid for?

FFS…Sorry, but I’m absolutely burnt out from the BS. Usually, problems get fixed in a couple of days. This problem has been consistent for months and I’m absolutely fed up with it.

1 Like

Okay, sorry to be a downer, but please don’t request cracks on the forum. I know it is frustrating when your paid for software isn’t working, but going off road with crack requests isn’t how to handle this.

To your issue; it sounds like something has gone wrong during the install (ie; upgrade) scenario. Are you on Windows or Mac? I would clear out all BFD related files. Here is the list:

OSX
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/com.inmusicbrands.softwareunlock
Delete - Mac HD/Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD3.app
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD License Manager.app
Make sure you also delete the audio unit from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
and the VST from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

WINDOWS
Delete - C:\ProgramData\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files (x86)\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Local\inMusicBrands\SoftwareUnlock
Make sure you also delete **BFD3.dll ** from wherever you installed the VSTplugin (usually C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins or C:\Program Files\vstplugins).

ALSO DELETE OLD FXpansion FILES

OSX
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD3.app
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/FX License Manager.app
Make sure you also delete the audio unit from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
and the VST from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

WINDOWS
Delete - C:\ProgramData\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files (x86)\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Roaming\FXpansion\BFD3
Make sure you also delete **BFD3.dll ** from wherever you installed the VSTplugin (usually C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins or C:\Program Files\vstplugins).

Then finally, re-install BFD3.4.3.7, make sure you select the correct path for your plugin folder during installation (only on Windows), and proceed to login and authorize in the BFD License Manager. If you’re out of authorizations let me know and I’ll refresh them.



I am using BFD3 in Cubase 12 right now. It definitely works, so we just need to resolve the issue for your machine.

Oh, and if your licenses are expiring THAT often, then something is going on with your machine specification/configuration that is tripping up our copy protection and making it think that it is a brand new machine. We’ve built in more defences in the upcoming new version to deal with some of that, but it would be useful to explore exactly what it is that is causing it.

Also, is your machine primarily online or offline?

Tried to give it another go this week, latest everything. BFD has been “deauthorized” 3 times. There might have been one MS Win10 update and one DAW update but I have no clue as to what machine spec/cfg would be triggering a “reauthorization”. No other sw I use has this problem.

This is on a rackmount system that is more online than not, but frequently offline for tracking. I’ve learned the hard way it cannot be used on a laptop for remote work.

1 Like

This worked like a charm. Thank you.

2 Likes

I really wish that the “solution” of uninstalling everything and then installing all over again wasn’t the standard computer industry solution. We learn NOTHING from this. What was the actual problem?

1 Like
1 Like

I believe but cannot confirm, that one of the BFD3.dll or .vst files lurking around was the old FXpansion version, not the new one; ie - the installer for the new one when it ran didn’t have OS level permission to delete the file, so it just did what it does and moved on to the next files. Which results in all of the resources and auxillary data being correctly installed, but the plugin not being correctly installed.

I’ll flag this up with a developer and see if we can reproduce it and improve the installer engine.

1 Like

That’s quite interesting, to me at least (and something I will keep in mind as a potential issue for software installers in the future). Thanks for sharing the info. :+1:t4: