BFD3 HAS BEEN DISABLED...yet again [resolved]

After a couple of months of not having access to BFD3 because the License Manager wouldn’t work with the program, I deleted everything BFD3 related from my computer and downloaded an earlier version. That seemed to get things working and everything was okay until tonight when I installed Cubase 12. Now, BFD3 isn’t working again…stupid me…

And yes…I signed out and signed into my account…many…many…many times…It doesn’t work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? I’ve gone through old threads when I originally had this problem and nothing worked until I deleted everything off my computer. I really don’t want to do that again, but I guess I will if there are no other suggestions. I downloaded the most recent version of BFD3 and installed it through the license manager. I don’t remember the old version I had that was working with Cubase 11, but it wasn’t working with Cubase 12 anyways…And the new version isn’t working. At least when I had this problem before, I could get it working through standalone (even though i never use standalone) but now standalone wont work or BFD3 in Cubase 12.

I wish this problem would get fixed. It’s absolutely ridiculous this keeps happening. Are there any reliable cracks of BFD3? Is it sad that Im at that point where I’m ready to download a cracked version of the software that I already paid for?

FFS…Sorry, but I’m absolutely burnt out from the BS. Usually, problems get fixed in a couple of days. This problem has been consistent for months and I’m absolutely fed up with it.

1 Like

Okay, sorry to be a downer, but please don’t request cracks on the forum. I know it is frustrating when your paid for software isn’t working, but going off road with crack requests isn’t how to handle this.

To your issue; it sounds like something has gone wrong during the install (ie; upgrade) scenario. Are you on Windows or Mac? I would clear out all BFD related files. Here is the list:

OSX
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/com.inmusicbrands.softwareunlock
Delete - Mac HD/Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD3.app
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD License Manager.app
Make sure you also delete the audio unit from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
and the VST from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

WINDOWS
Delete - C:\ProgramData\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files (x86)\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Local\inMusicBrands\SoftwareUnlock
Make sure you also delete **BFD3.dll ** from wherever you installed the VSTplugin (usually C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins or C:\Program Files\vstplugins).

ALSO DELETE OLD FXpansion FILES

OSX
Delete - Mac HD/Users/ USERNAME /Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Library/Application Support/FXpansion/BFD3/
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/BFD3.app
Delete - Mac HD/Applications/FX License Manager.app
Make sure you also delete the audio unit from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
and the VST from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

WINDOWS
Delete - C:\ProgramData\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files (x86)\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\Program Files\FXpansion\BFD3
Delete - C:\users\ USERNAME \appData\Roaming\FXpansion\BFD3
Make sure you also delete **BFD3.dll ** from wherever you installed the VSTplugin (usually C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins or C:\Program Files\vstplugins).

Then finally, re-install BFD3.4.3.7, make sure you select the correct path for your plugin folder during installation (only on Windows), and proceed to login and authorize in the BFD License Manager. If you’re out of authorizations let me know and I’ll refresh them.

I am using BFD3 in Cubase 12 right now. It definitely works, so we just need to resolve the issue for your machine.

3 Likes

Oh, and if your licenses are expiring THAT often, then something is going on with your machine specification/configuration that is tripping up our copy protection and making it think that it is a brand new machine. We’ve built in more defences in the upcoming new version to deal with some of that, but it would be useful to explore exactly what it is that is causing it.

Also, is your machine primarily online or offline?

Tried to give it another go this week, latest everything. BFD has been “deauthorized” 3 times. There might have been one MS Win10 update and one DAW update but I have no clue as to what machine spec/cfg would be triggering a “reauthorization”. No other sw I use has this problem.

This is on a rackmount system that is more online than not, but frequently offline for tracking. I’ve learned the hard way it cannot be used on a laptop for remote work.

1 Like

This worked like a charm. Thank you.

2 Likes

I really wish that the “solution” of uninstalling everything and then installing all over again wasn’t the standard computer industry solution. We learn NOTHING from this. What was the actual problem?

2 Likes
1 Like

I believe but cannot confirm, that one of the BFD3.dll or .vst files lurking around was the old FXpansion version, not the new one; ie - the installer for the new one when it ran didn’t have OS level permission to delete the file, so it just did what it does and moved on to the next files. Which results in all of the resources and auxillary data being correctly installed, but the plugin not being correctly installed.

I’ll flag this up with a developer and see if we can reproduce it and improve the installer engine.

1 Like

That’s quite interesting, to me at least (and something I will keep in mind as a potential issue for software installers in the future). Thanks for sharing the info. :+1:t4:

I have the same problem - I am being informed that my licence is invalid, and have sent a support request that has (to date) had no response.

As far as I am concerned, I am quite. lot of money down the drain for a product that I am unable to use.

I will ensure that every dsingle forum that I am a member of, will get the simple mesage that this is a product that should not even be considered.

I know I will never get my money back directly, but sure as hell I will get more than my money back indirectly!

When did you submit your support ticket?

This a a follow up on the OPs original post … and a message to the BFD developers.
I use BFD3 since November 2021.
I own a legit license and bought some extensions.
I am a Senior Software Developer with 30+ years of expericence - just that you know where I am coming from.

It a a common misconception these days in software development, that the companies somehow think that software protection would prevent the software from being used without a proper license.
1.) The vast majority of software users has no programming skills at all - no need to protect software from being cracked by those people. They are happy users if the software works. And they will support it and tell their friends about the great product.
2.) The (whatever) Software itself, most of the time, works flawlessly, until someone high up in the company decides it is a good idea to implement some fancy protection. Now (often) the same developers who originally developted the product itself have to come up with a solution, (often) without proper knowledge how to do it in a way which works on all machines and OS variants. Sadly, to my experience, this never gets throughoutly tested. So the users become the testers in the end, which is very bad practice nowadays.
3.) The harder a protection is, the more fame for a cracker _ that’s common sense. From a software developer standpoint copy protection is useless. There is no such thing as 100% security. It does not exist. But you now what there is?
A user community which A.) either comes back for the next product iteration, or B.) will never come back and write bad reviews online, because the software causes porblems not only in professional environments.
4.) Users in Bugreport forums often get told that it is “their computer” and “their fault” if they have problems with the licensing / copy protection solution. When did this start to become a thing? No, it is not, in no way the users fault. You haven’t tested the software enought and now you are blaming the users for it. And yes, you have to test against people who have no idea what a mouse is. Yet still you have to make sure the software works for them without a flaw.
5.) Telling users they have to reinstall everything is not a solution. It is a workaround for an existing problem.
Provide solutions, not workarounds.

And here is how BFD can do it:
1.) Remove all and every software protection code from the software.
2.) make sure the software works as expected. Test it. Test it again. And again. Use automated tests. Write the test procedures before you start to test.
3.) Now implement a standard and well documented SHA256 encrypted software key solution without the need for the user to go online. Go back to 2.)
4.) Roll out the new version.

I know what you are thinking. “But we don’t want the user to install the software on 1000+ computers”.
Tell the users they are allowed to install on 2 machines. If they want more machines, provide them extended licenses for a reasonable price. Treat the customer well and as an adult. They will come back. And they will pay. Because they love the software and want to support it. No one wants to use cracked software or to use software without a proper license. Really. Yes there are people doing it. But they are doing it anyway, no matter what protection magic you come up with.

4 Likes

Can’t quite agree with point 4.

I mean, pilot error has been a thing since I got my first DAW 25 years ago.
It sounds like you’re suggesting that no one ever misread the instructions or even bothered reading them in the first place.

Currently it can be installed on 3 machines.

For the most part I agree with everything else you said though. :smile:

Steve

Hey Steve,

yes, I’ve been carried away a bit at 4.)
You are correct, you can’t prevent users from misreading the documentation.
My point is: The more simple it is, the less need for a long documentation.
Imagine a popup where to paste the license key in, and boom, that’s it.
Most of the people will get it without even the need to read the docs.

1 Like

Thanks Drew, this worked for me, at last! I just found it too difficult to be able to find a solution. Been a user of BFD since BFD1 and my computer was in deed full of FXpansion/old BFD dirt! I somehow miss the simplicity of those early days as am not a big fun of a lot of tweaking, but now it finally works flawlessly it seems, so I am very happy.

THanks and congrats for such an amazing product.
Victor

Although my problem seems to be another one, check here

one thing is similar. I had a full working BFD3 on the 12th of December 2023. 2 days later not.
On the 12th I had the full duration on my Mac, for running it without being online. This all disappears.
So I want to bring up here again the discussion about the sense of this kind of protection.
It is simply an imposition not to be able to use something you have paid a lot of money for.
I have now opened a ticket. However, after the experiences I’ve had with BFD/inMusic recently, I don’t have much hope.

Logout and Login did the job. All back. This should be postet somewhere at the first place, when trouble with the license.