Apple M1 support

We hit some pretty large development road-bumps. This is traditionally why companies don’t give out estimates, because they come back to bite you! I won’t be doing that again!

5 Likes

Very few companies offer roadmaps publicly, it doesn’t make sense to do so when everything shifts and changes rapidly from week to week and month to month.

What we are focusing on right now is stability - mostly within the authorization system, but also within BFD3 itself.

BFD is a small team, not so dissimilar to the Reaper team, and we are working on multiple projects.

4 Likes

:smiley: Damn, yeah.

Surely the issue is not giving out a further update rather than never giving updates out any more?

I think people would be a lot more understanding if 1. They werent kept completely in the dark or 2. The trickle of info got updates instead of just being ignored until someone asks about it a year later.

As for roadmaps, there is a middle ground, it doesnt have to be all or nothing but a thread with current plans, and a thread with current workarounds for the auth system would stop of lot of the same questions being asked again and again and prevent a lot of frustration.

1 Like

I’ve already given out an update. 13 days ago. Look above.

1 Like

I think that is getting stuck in the weeds rather than the wider point I was attempting to make. But I’m off topic and… yeah :slight_smile:

It’s coming… You can pretty much tell the difference between the professionals and the hobbyists (not knocking the second group- I’m in it) by how they go about upgrades. The pros say never to do an update until it’s bugs have been nailed out and all your plugins are supported, the hobbyists get the OS upgrades then wonder why things are taking so long to nail out the bugs. I bought a new computer that came loaded with Monterey on an M1 so I just have to wait patiently. At some point in the not so distant future we’ll be seeing a message from Drew saying it’s finished, until then patience. I’m waiting on BFD, Akai, IK, Softube, Sonnox and Plugin Alliance. While I’ve been waiting Apogee, Liquidsonics and Waves have become native. 3 down, 6 to go. (Waves was actually native at the purchase of my computer).

1 Like

Sonnox has released native versions now :). 4 down, 5 to go!

The team behind BFD, and Drew specifically since he was always so involved with the users, always seemed to have a real passion for their work and for the quality of the software. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I’ve had over the years, so I’m ok waiting a good while longer for them all get the ball rolling again.

Soon as I have a few minutes I’m going to try loading up BFD in Kushview Element and seeing how my presets load up, if that all goes well I can wait on the native M1 version even longer.

2 Likes

My problem is it only runs with Logic (under Rosetta) and I get static sounds and pops… And this is a new computer I just have to wait patiently for the Native release.

So I tested BFD with Kushview Element to run in Cubase 12 ARM version, and the BFD Drums version doesn’t activate (license manager loop thing), but the FXPansion version runs just fine, so I’ll have to use that one until the native version comes out.

So I spoke to a developer just now. We have the capability of building for M1. We are waiting for a few more machines to turn up, and M1 will then be finalised code-wise and we will put it into beta. I don’t want to give a time estimate on this because last time I just built up people’s hopes and then dashed them, but as I understand it, there is very little extra work to do on it other than updating our build processes.

The very next build we release will not have M1 support, but I am hopeful that the one after will do.

Watch this space; shouldn’t be too much longer!

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! I hope M1 and VST3 come as a package deal given that’s a requirement for Cubase now.

I’m not sure it will be a package deal, but VST3 will arrive first, is my understanding. M1 after. But this could change, don’t hold us to it!

1 Like

I meant package deal as in, VST3 and M1 both coming out at all, not together, my English isn’t always clear. That’s great to know, though.

Softube now has M1 support. 6 down 3 to go.

I’m really hoping BFD comes out with M1 support soon!

Thanks for this information. It’s good to have this kind of feedback for customers. Not announcing dates for availability is understandable, so long as there’s still an outward sign of progress being made, and what that looks like.

I’m currently proposing that we start a dev blog, so we can quickly get information and tidbits out to people, without having to wait for the juggernaut.

3 Likes

I’ve spoken to the devs and have made it known that VST3 and M1 support are priorities after the next 3.4.4 update is released (which addresses robustness in the software unlock and fixes some bugs in the software)

There are threats to do an experimental M1 build and put it out to beta. I’ll let you know more once I know more.

3 Likes

Hi,
I would be in for a beta as I have now two M1 Macs (Mini and MacBook Air). I could test it on one of those machines.

BFD is literally the last plugin I need to be native, all my other stuff works is either native or works with Logics Rosetta-bridge in Logic native (or whatever you may call it), only BFD is blank :frowning:
And I could testdrive VST3, too as I’m using Cubase 12 Pro, not primarily, but it’s there :wink:

Let me know, if I can join the beta-circle and what I’d have to do for it.

Hi Jan,
see this…

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

2 Likes