Apple M1 support

No need to be sorry, just remember how much everyone loves you and BFD3 Rules

Hi Drew, I would love a link that you offered to the beta build for M1 to give it a try. Thanks!

1 Like

I would love to have a beta as well.

Could I also get a copy of the VST3 M1 native beta? Just bought it without checking beforehand.

@BFD_Drew Please message me a beta invite

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

@BFD_Drew I would love to try the new beta so please send me an invite.

Ok I signed up for the beta thanks

I will ask too :pray:t2: @BFD_Drew

Wow disappointing to see this is still open. After years using BFD exclusively and thousands of dollars sunk into FXpansion I have now fully migrated away and just accepted the cutting of my losses with the various sample packs I collected over the years. The extended Apple Silicon support delay alone would have been painful enough, but we already got stung with a similar situation a decade ago with the very inconvenient and pricey upgrade of old projects from BFD2 to BFD3. To add massive insult to injury I haven’t even been able to give other people my unusable sample libraries which have sat gathering dust in the meantime because of the hundreds of dollars I would have to pay in “transfer fees” I mean come on guys, really?. Serious question, how can any of us have the faith to invest more more time and money in FXPansion and BFD after all this and knowing we will likely just have the same issues again when BFD4 comes around?

3 Likes

I think it got cleared up that it’s just a flat $50 fee to transfer all your products at once? I think that’s assuming they’re going to one person.

I think it got cleared up that it’s just a flat $50 fee to transfer all your products at once? I think that’s assuming they’re going to one person.
[/quote]

Thank you, that’s useful to know. Doesn’t help me in my situation right, now but knowing could be very helpful in the future.

Yeah, with the sales right now, you’re not going to unload anything. Maybe after the new year? You can try searching, License transfer fee on here and you might find the post that was talking about it.

Yeah I’m not in a major rush as stopped using these packs years ago, it’s just one of several annoyances. Ideally we would just get an Apple silicon update to the FXpansion software we paid all that money for and for which Apple has had developer releases available for well over 2 years now.

1 Like

The fact that they are still updating a 9 year old product for free, is actually pretty good on their part. A few devs out there like McDSP are actually charging for an M1 update and others like Avid still do not have native apple silicon support.

2 Likes

Fair point, but in this case we have a worst of both worlds situation because there is no Apple silicon update option even for those prepared to pay for it. There are very few devs at this point that don’t have either and those are understandably getting similar flack for not being on top of this back in June 2020. Making it so that you can’t transfer sample library licenses without a significant transfer fee on top of that is a bridge too far IMHO

Money isn’t going to speed up the development process, and this is not something we would ever charge for. I said before, this isn’t a resourcing issue for us, it is a technical debt issue. We are working on it. We already have M1 native compatibility in beta, and once we tidy up the last few audiounit related issues, then it will launch.

Transfer fee’s that were in existence at FXpansion long before the inMusic acquisition have very little to do with any of that.

I don’t mind these conversations, I don’t even mind robust debate and a bit of sparring. But I will correct the record where it needs it.

I’ve said publicly if anyone can live without audiounit support to get in touch with me and I’ll provide the M1 beta to them. Can’t do much more than that right now.

Cheers,
Drew

3 Likes

Sounds to me like we’re in good-enough hands. And cool that we can get in on a VST/VST3 beta.

Re Rosetta, I can’t say for sure how much performance loss there is on my system when rolling back to it. Some, but how much, for you? … Plus in Cubase 12 in Rosetta mode, we can use VST2 plugins… as in BFD3. So, just a thought… work in Rosetta mode, fix up your drums, print your drum track, then boot up your project in Apple mode.

Hey, I know that’s not particularly helpful :).

But working around limitations seems the the story of my life when it comes to processing power. I mean, there is no Apple Silicon single-core performance machine out there that can handle what I want to throw at my projects.

@shagazulu I have the same processing limitations with my old Mac Pro, with everything I throw at it in a full mix. I get to the point where I have to print my drums, bass and percussion to free up cpu to finish the other elements and that’s at 48kHz. Then, once all my elements are mixed, I have to open the drums back up to do any automation and print again. I used to run sessions at 96kHz from start to finish without having to print anything prematurely. Just shows how demanding plugins today can be with workflows increasing and oversampling applied.

Yea, wow, that’s an interesting take. Developers are less concerned about efficiency these days, I guess.

I just watched a video that shows what I also experience in performance between Rosetta and Silicon mode. It’s not the crazy performance difference that we all would hope… which sucks, really. BUT, credit to Apple for making a translation layer that really works. Of course, they HAD to, otherwise folks wouldn’t have bought their silicon laptops early on.

Freeze tracks. It’s brilliant. It always has been. :slight_smile:

1 Like