Two weeks ago, I upgraded to BFD3 and it crashes Logic running Catalina every single time. I have written to everyone concerned with Technical Support and sent so many emails, but have been ignored. Does anyone have an email for anyone who can actually help? I have written to Drew several times, and he does not respond, and Sam at InMusic responded once, but has ignored me ever since.
If I cannot get any tech support, any ideas on how I can complain and get my money back?
I thought Fxpansion were the worse, but this is just unacceptable. The InMusic Support Form doesn’t even let you send.
I had high hopes that InMusic would/could save BFD, but I guess not.
I have also written complaints to BFD Drums and InMusic Support, although I do not expect any response given my past experiences.
Calling Dr @BFD_Drew ! Calling Dr @BFD_Drew !
I spent the day by trashing and deleting everything, and reinstalled and downloaded everything from scratch… and on some songs, it appears in Logic, and on some others, it even appears to be working! Thanks to @BFD_Drew for the help… and to everyone else at InMusic who have ignored my emails for 20 days, shame on you.
I’m off to make some noise.
Is this bit sarcasm or for real? I cant tell
Are you back up and running now?
@maximumdembo I’m up and running! No, @BFD_Drew has been very helpful. I guess there was some sarcasm, but that was just towards InMusic Tech Support which has been basically non-existent.
Hey, very glad to hear that Drew got you sorted. Do you mind sharing with the group what the cause of the problem was, if you ever identified it? The problem with reinstalling from scratch is that we never find out what the problem was, so I understand if you don’t have an answer.
Hi. Whilst I’m not 100% sure what the issue was, I can think of some things that might have caused the crashes. I created an Audio Folder for the BFD3 audio, but the installers installed the Installers and the audio content to this folder. I deleted everything except the audio, grooves and the “version.xml”. In addition, LM also somehow downloaded folders of everything in a different place at the same time, and these were slightly different sizes than the ones it downloaded to the specified folder. I don’t know how or why it could do that, but these extra folders were deleted. The LM also said it was downloading when it wasn’t. It was such a mess than I ended up trashing everything, and starting again.
This time I made a new folder called BFDAudio, but it still ended up with the installers and content in that folder, (this time it didn’t make two folders of everything with the same name but slightly different sizes, thankfully) so I again deleted everything unnecessary (as described previously). It also did the same thing for the expansions, so I deleted everything again except Audio/grooves/xml.version…
Finally, BFD3 saw all the expansion packs in the Audio Folder, but not the actual Core Content, so I had to manually direct it to the folder, and then rescan it.
Now everything seems to be working. Simple!
I don’t know if this helps at all, but that was what I did! I don’t know why all that happened, and I’m grateful for @BFD_Drew for helping to sort this nightmare out. InMusic ignored every email, so it was awesome to get some help from Drew.
BDF3 does sounds amazing. I have installed more than 2500 plugins so it’s not usually something that I can’t fix, but this was a bit beyond anything I’ve experienced.