Why does BFD3 seem unpopular, mostly for westerners?

If the sound quality is there, I don’t mind as much the learning curve and headaches (BFD3). But I totally get how some musicians and producers just want to make music without having to dive deep. I hope the BFD Player really delivers for those folks.

I used a Boss DR-5 drum mach back in the late 90’s. It sounded like crap (as expected for the time) and was anything but easy to program, at least more intricate stuff. Though, I wish I still had the drum MIDI data from my songs that I stored on an Alesis Data Disk, so I could record them using BFD3. There’s an old song my really Mom likes, that I should probably re-record proper for her one of these days.

1 Like

I started doing that with the SR16 a couple of years ago. At first I was trying to recreate the Songs, but then I just recreated the Patterns and Fills. I can load them as Grooves and tweak as needed. Didn’t get a lot of them done, though. I’m not a drummer so I don’t really understand how to do many of the little things I want to do. And depression takes a toll, so it sits for months/years without being touched. When I go back to it, half of my expansion don’t work because of the buyout and transfer. The ones I need don’t work. No other pack I have has a rain stick or the thunder sheets. So, back to playing video games.

And yeah, the SR16 was a pain to program. Stepping through the Pattern editor and miss your mark, you can’t just step back, you have to loop all the way around. Programming in Guitar Pro was somewhat easier, and use that to call the sounds from the SR16. Trying to get BFD3 to learn the MIDI patterns from it doesn’t quite come out right. So then I put each Pattern into a separate Song. It plays once, then stops. However, the Play button is finicky after so many years, so it double-taps the first note, messing up the Learned pattern, and it’s back to playing video games LOL

There’s obviously tons of videos out there showing how to accent things on drums, the articulations used, mechanics and mindset. That may help unlock some things.There’s drum programming stuff too, but I haven’t really come across anything that helpful.

Why don’t they work and which expansions?

If Guitar Pro is using GM, loading the included GM map in BFD3 should get you most of the way there. There’s always going to be some things you have to manually map, or grooves you have to tweak. Just be sure to save the edited GM map and name it so you know what it’s used for. It can be tedious to make custom maps, but once it’s saved, the pain is usually over.

1 Like