What have you made with BFD?

I think that it is from the El Dorado sample pack which is what was part of the original BFD kits. It’s a Slingerland. I’ll verify on Monday. I typically can’t find the perfect snare so I often use two and mix them to get the right blend of punch and ring. I’m sure I used two for this as well.

I didn’t just pick it because of the ring but fir the “pitch” of the ring. I would toggle back and forth A/B’ing between the studio recording and my track and even dialed in the tuning of the drum. It’s as accurate as I could hope to achieve. BFD is the frickin balls. :laughing:

2 Likes

Ok thanks Steve63. I thought maybe it was El Dorado because it came with a Slingerland kit and it’s mentioned that the kick was a radio king

1 Like

Actually we were both right, there are two Slingerland Radio King snares, BFD2 has the Snare ‘SELECT’

They do have quite different tones though, the BFD1/Elderado sounds nicer to my ears and almost like the snare is off or just partially on.

Steve

1 Like

Pitch is much overlooked I think, in many home recordings, with drums.

One of the things I really missed when trying to hire session drummers was the ability/willingness on the drummers part, to tune the drums to the track. It makes such a huge difference. Its something I’ve gotten so used to having instant access too, not having to pitch samples up n down in Reaper, with audio but using BFD’s pitching directly instead.

2 Likes

I’m quite happy with the concept of wholesale audio theft as art :slight_smile: (or just heavy audio trolling, and really, is there much difference? Outsider art? :slight_smile: ).

Well the picture is a black shell. I’ll double check on Mon.

1 Like

Im not really getting any new stuff done in a hurry so I made a video to go along with an old track. All drums are BFD, all bass is a Scarbee Rickenbacker konakt instrument, samples from the Les Baxter soundtracked film Hells Belles. I hope there is something in here for you to enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to see a video of you playing a Zendrum with BFD. Ive been eyeing a zendrum for a while and would like to get one but I dont know what it would look like live.

BTW, awesome rendition of the song. Beena long time since I have heard it.

John

1 Like
5 Likes

Simply amazing. I’ve never seen this type of controller before. What a creative way to play music in a live scenario. Thanks for sharing.

I made these 2 Guns n Roses covers using BFD2. I have BFD3 now, and pretty much everything on my youtube channel is made with BFD2 & BFD3. I used the Chad Smith kit and linked the snare with the Andy Johns Matt Sorum snare, to get both the punch and the snap. I didn’t get that quite right on these tracks, but later we covered Fall To Pieces by VR and I think by then, I got the snare right, altho we haven’t finished the video for that one yet, cos the lockdown ended and we all went back to work.

2 Likes

I’m no fan of this kinda music, but this is a great cover (only listened to Nightrain so far)! Very accomplished! Drums sound great, everyone else sounds great, production is quality. Subbed :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting!

EDIT: Great title for the project too btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers buddy!

I’m particularly proud of the sleve designs! :laughing:

1 Like

Finally, we finished this one. It was recorded almost a year ago now, just shelved after we all went back to work. I think the drums on this are much closer than before. Same kit, just worked a bit more on the processing.

2 Likes

oh, why not

3 Likes

That was quite a trip, @Civilization3 !

I just put this out but its just BFD cycling thru some grooves, with noise added/synth crap. Basically, just some random crap I found on my hardrive just so the video wasnt silent :slight_smile:

Currently playing around with AI generated animations, which is what this is.

2 Likes

This is a guitar bass drums instrumental (melodic rock prog metal)

I’m playing a Waghorn 7 string and a Wal 5 er.
The kit is mostly Z cymbals with toms from the Vint Rec Tech pack, Timpanis from the orchestral
as well as walnut stave snare and kick.

1 Like

This one is more about the drums

2 Likes

Here is one I did on drums
[Shatterbrain - YouTube] (Shatterbrain - YouTube)

Old track (2 years) but its using BFD all the way thru. 30 minutes edited down to just over 3. Posting as I havent listened to it a long time and it kinda suprised me that its pretty good IMHO! :slight_smile:

Gonna make a video for this one next…