What do you want in BFD4?

to kind of hope to explain this mapping, somewhat, I should relate this bit: I use descriptive names for cymbals. Ride 1 etc, I am not going to correlate this by memory with what cymbal it is actually, the preset was built ad hoc and not in some particular order according to the default map. And where the default is ‘high tom 2’ there is likely a cymbal there, or percussion slot is a cymbal most of the time.
I like cymbals. I’m not trying to be Bozzio or anything, but right now it’s 12 cymbals. I’d far prefer a single instance to multiple instances as these are often larger templates, which are more problematic in terms of resources usage.

VE Pro takes my names for its names in the automap list; it will remember more than half of them, but at the points where I don’t conform as per the above it tends to just go with the name of the default map.
I used to make my own default map but this if anything exacerbates this issue.

YES, very much THIS^.

Today’s vector graphics are often lazily drawn. No detail. Almost all of the flat/minimalist GUI design these days is ugly lazy garbage.

I probably have to be a bit measured in how much I agree with this, but I do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Guys,

I had my ups and downs w/ BFD. Foremost for me personally is stability in WIN and Mac Realm. I found that there are authorization problems in WIN10 in the new BFDDrums account.

You see two installer windows with green and red writings mentioning authorisation success AND at the same time authorisation failed, happy AND sad.
Forgive me, but I can´t control a proper installation for days now. Maybe it is a missing authorization by the company side or I am doing something really wrong.

Reinstalled WIN, several cleanings, defragmentation tools, VST PlugIns of all kinds manually removed, reinstalled and added manually in any kind of constellation and such.

plus: I installed the latest versions officially offered on bfddrums for downloads and so on.
I like the sound and the concept, sure, but it has to work properly.

THX for your help here
Best Tim

PS: Is it right, that the mixer window is not expandable? don´t know. Would be something to keep in mind just in case. THX

Hi Tim

Just felt the need to say, this thread is called, ‘What do you want in BFD4?’ because it’s asking users for suggestions for new features.

You should create a new thread and perhaps give a clearer explanation of how you are trying to install BFD3 and what exactly the problem is.

You say your trying to install BFD3 on both a mac and on a pc?
Are you having the same problems on both?

Steve

Hey Steve,

sure. Maybe there are instabilities, regarding win10 here. Just in case. No offense. Opened another threat of course.

THX
BX

1 Like

Scaling and resizing would be awesome, might be OK on a 1080p screen, but more people are moving to higher resolutions.

3 Likes

I think it would be absolute madness for any future BFD products to not have some kind of scaling and resizing. :wink:

4 Likes

It can be resized/scaled already but using the left/right arrows at the top left of the interface? Or am I misunderstanding you?

That doesnt actually resize the whole contents of the window tho, text/images and everything else.

Hi Drew,
I would LOVE to see Direct Downloads available and the Licence Manager either discontinued completely, or reprogrammed so it is reliable and useful. As for the content, maybe a dedicated Motown Drums?
Thanks, Dean

Hi, Drew
One more thing…an update of the GUI. It would be great if BFD4 looked as good as it sounds. I don’t think the interface has been upgraded since BFD1?!?

Dean

BFD1, 2, Eco and 3’s UI’s have all been different. They look nothing like one another?

3 Likes

The GUI’s have definitely been different between the 3 versions

BFD1

BFD2

BFD3

Yes, an update would be welcome, but you can’t say it hasn’t changed over the three versions.

5 Likes

I can almost 100% promise you that this will never happen - something like a License Manager is here to stay. You can thank Apple and Microsoft for that mostly!

We are working on improvements and future designs.

2 Likes

I have plenty of licence managers. None of them have to phone home every X amount of days, just the once when I install.

1 Like

My bad… I stopped using my BFD1 in 2008 when Fxpansion demanded an upgrade cost which was almost the same as the BFD1 that I had purchased about a month before. I upgraded to BFD3 last week. I still don’t understand why BFD2 had a kit that looks like a drum kit and BFD3 has this dull, bland, one colour draftsman-style overhead kit view. It’s a virtual drum kit, not a floor plan of a new house build. Plus on my Retina screen it is not in focus. IMHO the graphics on BFD2 are far superior. BFD3 sounds the most like real drums of all the drum software I have (which is a lot), and I have high hopes that BFD4 will look as good as it sounds.

Dean

Hi Drew,
I’m not opposed to Licence Managers per se…the Native Instruments, Waves and IK ones all work for me without issue. The problem for me is that when the BFD3 LM has issues and won’t work, there is no other option for me. At the moment, it is telling me it is downloading and I can’t select paths even though it is finished and BFD3 standalone is working fine, but this is after four days of hell when it would just hang after downloading the program installer and not download any content. After reading this forum, it seemed that the Licence Manager as is does not allow the program installer to be in a different location to the content. I wanted the program on my internal and the contents on my external, which does not seem to be allowed by the Licence Manager. Given that the sample detail is amazing and so is the content size, I would have thought most people would want it on an external drive?
Anyway, after being forced to put the program and contents in the same place, it started downloading the contents, and the Standalone works well and sounds fantastic.

However, it crashes Logic every time I try to load it. Logic X does not even issue the usual crash report. It just instantly quits. It’s all looking good and successfully verified in the AU Manager. I’ve tried restarting many times. I am running Catalina on a well-spec’d iMac i7.
Maybe you can PM me to help fix this, as I’m new and the Message button has yet to appear.

Thanks,
Dean

The BFD3 GUI might not have been as ascetically pleasing to some, but I found it far more useful since it displays the rooms mics and adjustments you make. Would be nice if they updated dynamically instead of having to double-click the screen. Would be even better if you could use the GUI to make adjustments.

3 Likes

I felt the same way about the BFD3 UI when it first came out. I never upgraded because of it and just wound up moving on to Slate for a while. Now that I’ve been using it for almost a year now, I’ve adjusted nicely and don’t mind it at all. It’s superior to BFD2 and Slate for that matter, in almost every way.

And honestly, I’m not really spending my time staring at the drums in Kit view. Once I’ve got my preset loaded, the plugin window is closed and I’m working on the MIDI in my DAW.

4 Likes