[UNDER REVIEW] BFD3 notes in REAPER getting randomly "choked" after working on a project for a while?

Hi there - I’ve got the same problem. BFD 3.4.2, Reaper 6.34, Win 10.
Randomly, cymbals that are not in the same choke group will seemingly choke each other. I can’t be sure if it is always cymbals doing the choking or just other kit pieces. As another user said, I can’t be sure if other kit pieces are also getting choked as I wouldn’t know if they’re shorter sounds.
Re-opening the project seems to fix it - for a while.
Hoping to see a fix for this from the developers, please…

Sound other than cymbals can be affected too. I have had resonant toms choke as well. If the cymbals are choking, so are the toms. There seems to be an ‘all notes off’ cc being sent.

Yup. Basically it’s not really a choke but probably a termination of all sound samples at once.

1 Like

Is this a symptom of over eager memory optimisation? Its unloading the samples from memory via the OS thinking they’re no longer needed and clearing the memory out?

I’ve had apps that do this, and cant use them with BFD, for obvious reasons. I wonder if the OS itself is clearing the memory out?

Are there OS options to make the memory optimisation less aggressive?

Me too, same behaviour in Protools, Logic and standalone on a 2020 Mac mini. I’ve stopped using BFD 3, it’s just too frustrating. I really like BFD3, but I can’t say I’ve ever come across any other software in the last few years that has as many bugs as BFD 3 has got. Hopefully they’ll sort this one out.

Hi there Callum,
I wonder if there’s been any progress made on this problem since your last post.
It’s happening a lot and making me have to close and re-open my projects repeatedly, which is only ever a temporary fix.
I hope someone can help.
Thank you, Jon

I can confirm the same issue on Cakewalk! Its bloody annoying! I’ll have to use some other drum VST of lesser quality till they figure this out.

I’m having the sounds getting choked issue too. Win 10 64bit Reaper 6.36 (but it’s been happening for many versions. My data is on an NVME drive (Sabrent 2TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 to be specific, though probably doesn’t matter too much considering all the others having this issue). Just seems to happen over time. I’ve seen it happen within an hour, but also work fine most of the day and then happen. Seems like restarting Reaper doesn’t always fix the problem, I got in the habit of rebooting when I encounter it. Maybe it happens more if I step away leaving the system idle for a while, not positive though. I have told windows not to sleep my HDs though I’m not sure if that includes the nvme drive or not, the system settings don’t seem to specify.

I can work around it by rebooting or loading the whole kit into ram, but man, that’s like 20gigs or something…

I don’t really think this sheds new light onto the problem, but you never know. Good luck devs!

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well. Finding it very frustrating that I paid so much for this software and I’m struggling to achieve basic functionality. I’ve tried just about every combination of settings I can think of.

Some info that might be relevant

Using Reaper 6.36 in Windows 10
Data is on a 1TB NVME Drive
Issue can be temporarily fixed by reloading the session but it often returns after just one or two plays through of the midi content.

same issue on ableton VST
fix it PLEASE!!! BFD3 is a best drum VST!!