What have you made with BFD?

Good job, thanks for sharing, the kit sounds great in this mix, as do the other instruments :blush:
This DF pack is amazing.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments, its becoming the goto kit for me, the crashes are superb and there just seems to be more body to the way the drums sound.

1 Like

Im really enjoying the dark farm pack, I’ve yet to use it in some productions (in the works). It’s very versatile. Loving the snares.

1 Like

Here’s another choon upgrade with dark farm

Hammie

2 Likes

This is a short audition I just did to try and become an artist for Songfinch. Basically, customers pay to have a song made for them to gift to someone else. I haven’t tried to sing on a track in over a year, so it’s pretty rough, but thankfully I didn’t scare them away. Just looking for some side projects, but I have no idea if it’s something I can do consistently. You gotta be able to bang out tracks within a week. Hopefully the opportunities won’t all be about kissing a dude. :laughing:

I used BFD3 Horsepower again, as it’s one of a few kits that I have routed and ready to mix in Pro Tools (and because it’s pretty awesome). There’s also a couple Steven Slate samples blended in.

2 Likes

Totally digging this groove, FB. Great sound and vocals are perfect if you ask me. Good stuff.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

1 Like

I might be in the wrong place (I’ll GLADLY move this if I could be told where to move it)??
I have an album coming out in April…15 songs…5 singles…the 4th single will be played on MarkSkinRadio Friday the 17th during Christian’s Cosmic Corner.
The 5th single drops on the 3rd of April, followed by the album on the 13th.

Anyway, I would like to share the link to that album as well as my last album, (also on Blue FX Records out of Boston/Lowell, MA) with the community here. The music is “kind of 90’s” (makes sense, I’m 46 and was about 18 in '96??? GREAT time…).

ALL of the drums for all of my music for the last 10+ years were triggered exclusively through BFD…previously a hodge podge Alesis D5 and from a HEAVILY modded Alesis DM10/Triger I/O (20 piece kit…CC hi hat, 5 toms, all dual zone pads and chokeable cymbals, 3 triple zone cymbals) setup.

My latest album (“B-sides the Point”) was created because the album before that, I felt I mixed it pretty well (considering that I’m doing everything by myself, anyways)…and SINCE THEN I’ve gotten newer, even BETTER tools to help with the accuracy of my headphones and eventually my final mixes.

Well…there were 5 fairly old songs that had never been released or scheduled for any other album…so I decided to release those…then I started listening to how bad some of my older mixes (that I thought were GREAT) truly were…so I wanted to remix several songs from throughout my musical career…all the way back to going solo in 2002-2003 and covering a glimpse into (I think) at least 6 of my albums.

If you have ANY criticisms?? I’d love to hear ANYTHING that would help me to be better. Again, I’m doing this all myself and I’m self-taught at everything.
Highly Derivative | Gearedmah:

2 Likes

Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing, cool tunes and great mixes :slight_smile: , that first track is really interesting, sounds like a 90’s vibe slightly stretched tape, or maybe that’s me as I just woke up, been on night shift. Very cool I dig it. I took a listen to I Can’t See too, very nice, I hear Layne & Chris influences all over that, awesome work bro \m/

1 Like

I finally had some time to listen to these proper. Sounds great dude! What kit did you use? I especially like the kick and bass relationship on the second track. Consistent, nice low end like this is what I still have trouble with at times. I’m from the Boston area myself… lived there most of my life. That’s where I learned all about music. Lotsa great local musicians.

I just thought it would be cool to remember that maximumdembo (who sadly ditched BFD), started this thread back in '21 and we’ve heard some cool stuff from folks. His first track is really fantastic and he was a great contributor here.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you the kit, to be honest?? I own all the packs (minus Dark Farm) so I seriously just pick WHATEVER makes the song “work”. I could pull up the session and tell you, but I’ve been doing this for about 10 albums (playing everything and mixing and all) so specific songs I couldn’t tell you right away, necessarrily…I tend to record the drum performance and decide the drums well after I’ve picked virtual amps for those performances!! :slight_smile:
Thanks for listening!!
I have more albums free at Gearedmah | SoundClick

Highly Derivative got me signed with Blue FX and B-sides the Point is coming in April!! I honestly believe that the best songs aren’t even the 5 singles Blue FX are releasing…and I’ve already started my next album, “Box Full of Death”.

THANKS MAN!!!
I appreciate the listen and the kind words!!
I’m so suck in the 90’s it’s a bit disturbing to even ME :slight_smile: But I love Layne, Chris, Scott, Lanegan, Kurt and even Edde Vedder in the earlier stuff.

Got a LOT more music out there!!

But I’m remixing and remastering now that I know more and have better tools…some of these go back to like 2002?? 2003?? About the time I went solo as Gearedmah. I was writing and recording everything in the band anyway…so…

I do miss collaborating and working with people…one thing you don’t get by yourself is someone saying, “No offense…that wasn’t good enough…YOU CAN DO BETTER…” and I just miss that. My dream is to start a band of multi-instrumentalists and just switch instruments as we see fit…cause everyone plays instruments differently, it would sound like 4-5 bands!!! :slight_smile: Hey…a man can dream!!

I heard this on here before I posted…I dig it!!!
Very atmospheric…might have been cool to have some of those timpanis?? or the pipes from Orchestral??

Hi Gearedmah,

Your mixes sound excellent! Love the grooves too. That is some cool stuff.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

1 Like

Thanks so much!!!
I really appreciate it! I finally have some great tools for listening to the mixes (inexpensive) and they REALLY seem to have made a difference!

1 Like

You gotta be your ow biggest fan…if YOU wouldn’t show up to hear you, why would anyone else??
Love what you’ve done with TNBD…I have a couple songs you’d probably dig…instrumentals. I’ve been using BFD exclusively since 2003?? So there are several songs that never got finished…no lyrics yet…a couple are going my upcoming album (this time with lyrics, finally).

1 Like

I grabbed BFD Crush from Mr. Arkadin who was selling off his expansions a few weeks ago. I wanted to create a mix template in Pro Tools for Crush, get all the routing and my plugin chains set up, so I wound up putting a short Metal jam together. It’s little heavier than I normally write and was definitely a little tricky trying to play this style with a Fender Strat, but I thought overall it turned out pretty cool.

I honestly didn’t think I’d dig Crush this much, but it’s really quite an exceptional sounding kit with a lot of variety. Even the toms grew on me after a while. I really liked the Stainless Steel snare and linked the two dampened versions and the cymbals are great (the main reason I got Crush).

1 Like

Very nice bro, great mix! Digging those guitars :slight_smile:

While I am here, a project I started work on with a friend, during the covid era, we recorded an entire album using BFD for the drums, it’s busy being mixed right now at Belville Studios in Cape Town. The first single was release yesterday:

1 Like

Thanks man. Yeah the guitars came out pretty good. I used a Rivera TBR-1 SL (TH-U rig library) for most of it. It was used on the Saigon Kick album from the early 90’s.

Wow, that track sounds badass! What kit did you use?