Tips and approaches for a realistic drum performance

Does this just mean fading the direct samples out quicker?

Yeah, pretty much.

(20 character nonsense!!!)

1 Like

Brilliant. Nice one, thanks. I think I know how to use that to make it gate without a gate but sound more natural. Awesome.

Back to remixing Mick Smiley for meā€¦

@deangersmith

Check the opening kick on thisā€¦ Its open then damped, open then damped. I dont know if this is burying the beater but I got obsessed with the on/off nature of the sustainā€¦ I even sent Eno a tweet asking if it was BFD :blush: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I would imagine the effect also depends on the type of beater: felt, wool, or soft rubber dampens more than hard rubber, wood, plastic, or metal.

Ultimate Bass Drum Beater Guide

2 Likes

Thanks, I fully understand that and know now what itā€™s called, Iā€™ve played drums loads through the years but mainly as a hobby, Iā€™ve done that before on the kick I just didnā€™t know there was a term for it.

Great idea for the tips n tricks!

Thanks for that, sounds like what you have described for sure, haha lets see if he answers, waitā€¦you mean thereā€™s a feature for buried and non buried kick in BFD, where the hell have I been, I clearly need more time and to broaden my deep diving haha!

edit
Oh, like using the dampening etc, I get it!
I mess around wit the dampening loads, on all the shells.

1 Like

TBF, I didnt even know any of this was even a thing till today. Just basic damping with towels etc, was about it. Thats why I watch the 80/20 guy. Im not any sort of drummer and I always find something in his videos that spark an OOOOOOH moment.

I receive a KMI Boppad later this week, a lovely gift, so I can finally, I hope, play with the spring and bounce of actual gravity instead of farkling programming the whole bloody lot by hand!

1 Like