The future of BFD license - a cautionary tale

Did you ever get a reply about this?

I got a full refund, finally.

1 Like

Me too, I feel sorry for the developers who get shifted from one company to the next and have dedicated a lot of their life to this product.
I like the product but itā€™s lack of VST3 plugin for my DAW is going to force me to dump, Thatā€™s down to management committing the required resources but it looks like from a customer view that InMusic have no track record in that regards.

David

2 Likes

Just to play devils advocate, isnā€™t it naive and foolish of DAW makers to drop support for VST2 when so much software doesnā€™t yet have a VST3 version?

Cakewalkā€™s bandlab has happily supported both VST2 and VST3 for quite a few years now so why are Cubase and other companies abandoning it?

Steve

Well, first off, Steinberg has announced the drop of VST2 support with more than a yearā€™s warning, and even so, I would doubt the next Cubase will come out without VST2ā€”although I for one certainly hope so!

In that sense, thereā€™s plenty of time to either simply move your plugin to VST3 ā€œas isā€ or actually take the opportunity to develop a meaningful upgrade to it.(obviously depending on funds).

That said, just like 32-bit, so will VST2 surely live on beyond the cutoff point via plugin ā€œbridgesā€ and/or loaders like BlueCatā€™s, metaplugin etc. Not to mention that thereā€™s no reason you canā€™t have several Cubase versions installed, as many do for backwards compatibility.

But you canā€™t expect your software to be both moving forwards and constantly looking backwards. At some point you need to bounce your channels and move on (I mean, even VST3 plugins from a few years ago are now obsolete or have new versions).

In the sense that a move to a pure VST3 environment means a more stable DAW, better workflow and new features, I say the sooner the better. Thereā€™s not a single plugin that I canā€™t live without or canā€™t find an equivalent, but even if there was I would trade it in a heartbeat for a faster, more robust DAW.

Re Steveā€™s ā€œdevils advocate viewā€ I would say by way of response VST 1 is not in general use anymore because operating systems and daws move on.

Vst2 has reached the end of the support cycle. Of course people can still use it if they want to stick with specific DAWs and Operating systems on older hardware, but time is not going to stand still. It BFD is to continue in development for use on latest hardware then VST3 support is essential at this time. If not the writing is on the wall and if I worked there as a developer I would be looking to move on.
As a user I want to keep moving forward as I donā€™t want to keep with old hardware and software.

Cheers
David

1 Like

Steinberg discontinued the VST2 SDK in 2012/13, they gave developers many years to adopt VST3.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any functional reason to drop VST2, but Iā€™m not gonna say itā€™s a surprise or unexpected (frankly Iā€™m surprised it held on as long as it did).

2 Likes

Obviously if including VST2 compatibility causes issues and holds back development then thatā€™s a different story. Itā€™s such a shame as thereā€™s still a lot of software out there that doesnā€™t have a VST3 version and perhaps never will.

Steve

Here goes, backed up everything set up inMusic account with same email.
BFD2 and presets for a decade of songs in logic , praying the replacement packs to mess with that!
Downloading LMā€¦

2 Likes