Safe to uninstall BFD2?

@SF_Green

I thought I had answered this earlier about wanting to uninstall BFD2 but can’t see it in this thread.
Maybe you already uninstalled BFD2 but in case you didn’t it might be worth mentioning.

As @Civilization3 rightly pointed out, BFD2 and BFD3 work quite happily side by side, I have even had both running in the same project while I was swapping them out with no issue.

It’s really a question of whether you need the space, when I first got BFD3 I used the BFDLAC tool to reduce the size of the BFD2 library from something like 55GB to 22GB. Not so much because I needed the space but because the BFDLAC format gives better performance than the old .wav files.

But I wanted to keep BFD2 for reference when I was helping people on the old forum and I had plenty of space. I still have it and keep thinking I should get rid of it soon, in order for BFD2 to run it needs the original .wav library but I’m just keeping it for nostalgias sake really.

So to summarise, unless you need the space, you don’t have to get rid of it but if you don’t want it then uninstall it.

The one thing you need to make sure is that any of the old presets you have been converted to BFD3 so you don’t lose any work you did in BFD3.

Make sure any of your old projects that used BFD2 have been converted to use BFD3.
This was a long and painful process where I opened my songs in cakewalk and opened BFD2 within the project and then saved a preset in BFD2 with the name of the song, then I inserted BFD3 into the song and loaded the BFD2 preset into BFD3 and once done I removed BFD2 from the project.

I’m guessing I’ll have to go through the whole process again when BFD4 is released. :roll_eyes:

Steve

2 Likes

Hi Steve.

I made the mistake of removing everything from what I thought at the time was bfd2 within the fxpansion folder structure.

Sadly it removed also bfd3 from the fxpnsion folder structure. Little did I know on migration that the bfd3 files seemed to be installed in the fxpansion folder structure, and therefor removed everything.

I was lucky using windows restore to get it all back up and working. With the exception of all my program samples being removed. My saving grace was that I had all the new bfd3 downloaded samples on a separate audio drive and was able to re link all the new bfd3 samples.

I have to say - the only true way at present is to leave everything as it is if we can afford the space.

And as you say - both bfd2 and bfd3 will run happily side by side.

My mistake - although not missed now - was not having a back up of the original bfd2 wav samples

Neil.

Do you have The London Sessions?

You should be able to get a free copy as a BFD2 owner, just PM Drew and he should be able to give you a serial.

Steve

1 Like

I got my London Sessions license via Drew before the BFD Drums takeover and it migrated seamlessly with the rest. You are as a BFD 2 licensee entitled to that.

It looks like migration is a significantly different problem on Windows than it is on OSX.

Hi Steve.

Yeah, Drew sorted that for me.

I’m all up and running now with the new BFD Drums BFD3.

I’m just not ready to purchase any more expansions until it’s all sorted out on the company side. And, I get the new build computer (another 7 week wait).

Should be interesting when I get the new computer how it all installs.

Looking forward to having all my fxpansion Geist stuff totally separate from the bfd drums bfd3 stuff.

The bfd drums and fxpansion situation has just been so frustrating, but it’s good to see things getting there - even if it is very slow.

I’m liking the now bfd3 system but can’t really put a lot of time in to it. 1, with being ill and disabled, that’s a pain in it’s self. And 2, waiting for the new build.

Neil

Sorry to hear your unwell Neil.

7 weeks is a long time to wait for a new system although I guess that might be down to lockdown and stuff. Can I ask who your getting it from?

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve.

Scan (as always).

Yeah it’s with the lockdown, and delivery part times etc.

But It’s being build to my specs and not off the shelf.

And as always, when I finally got in touch with the audio team they were fantastic.

Neil.

Edit - the disable thing is long term. I had a work accident 22 years ago - life changer. You have to just learn to get on with it. Thankfully, I have a very supportive family and the wife - best carer in the world. Wouldn’t wish disability on anyone.

Apart from the selfish bastards that run the system - no more to be said on that.

Neil.

Ah yes sorry, I’d forgotten we’d had this conversation already.

Yeah I should think you’ll be very happy with what’s coming in 7 weeks and BFD3 will run like a dream.

It’s Windows 10 I’m guessing?

Steve.

Hi Steve.

For all it’s faults, I decided to stick with windows (10).

I don’t think I could stand another OS learning curve .

It is a beast (in down to earth terms).

Neil.,

Better the devil you know…:smiling_imp:

1 Like

SF_Green

Yeah.

But the way Windows is going it’s on very thin ice. Been that way now for a while.

They’ve totally messed up the audio side of things somewhere along the line. Not that it was perfect in the first place.

Full of bloat.

Thankfully, over the years I’ve never had any trouble from DAW software. But the interfaces are showing serious problems, and from what I can gather it is a windows problem and not a manufacturers problem. Although, in saying that, they don’t always keep up with drivers - but that’s life.

A money making machine.

Neil.

1 Like

I knew that devil. I knew it was making my life miserable. I got out, and the effort was worth it. I still have complaints, but I’m way more productive now. Only time I start Windows is for Windows-only games.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear you. I’m tied to Windows right now because I have an RME Fireface 800 and a PCIe UAD2 Quad card that I can only run on a Windows machine at this point.
And for the record, I’m hating Windows 10. It was designed to be spyware and the bloat is out of control. When I upgraded my Win7 install, I spent 3 days removing stuff and hunting down settings to turn all the unnecessary stuff off. What a waste of time. Windows 7, however, wasn’t bad: definitely the best version of WIndows IMHO.
If Linux was an option I’d be gone in a nanosecond.

1 Like

Would a recent used iMac with an OS that supports drivers for those devices work via a thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and a thunderbolt to PCIe expansion box? I’ve never used such an expansion box. I’m curious if they work without BS.

Computers suck, and Apple isn’t free of my ire either, but I do better in Mac OS than I ever have in Windows. I never used Windows 7; I feel like that makes me a heretic, ha ha. But then I never used Windows Me either.

DOS & 3.11, Win 95, Win 98/98SE, Win XP, Vista, Win 8.1, and finally Windows 10 via free upgrade.

What a mess of a UI the last two have been. I actually didn’t specifically hate Vista like everyone else did (whenever my GPU would crash, Vista would happily crash the game, and simply restart the graphics system; Win 8.1 & 10 goes to BSOD), but I do generally hate every moment of every session with any version of Windows. Still need it for gaming. Sigh.

I’ve been running a UAD2 Octo in a PCIe/TB2 chassis for years, along with an RME HDSPe card. Works like a champ with the TB2/TB3 adapter into my MacBook. Never a glitch with any of it. Seriously, not one hiccup, at any point, in all these years.

Macs are expensive, no bones about it. I can rationalize the expense given how much time I spend on it. I thought Win7 was pretty good, but Win10 is really annoying. I have a Win10 laptop for work, that I’m just unimpressed with.

1 Like

This is really good to know. I’ve been wondering if anyone was doing this. Not that I want to rely on a tiny compact machine for all the things I need in a computer, but I might be forced into it by Apple refusing to sell power-user machines at reasonable prices.