Preempt reauthorization so as to avoid C**F***s

iLok mentioned their awareness of user expectations and continue to work on reducing the barrier to using their services. I prefer other approaches, but the addition of machine authorization is something I can live (and work) with.

A link from another relevant peer to BFD on the topic. Great products, but could not use them w/o machine authorization. They finally got it.

I sincerely hope the crew here get this sorted out quickly and get back to improving the value/usability of BFD.

FWIW, I’ve managed to stay viable past 30 days as well, assuming they must have deactivated something on the server side, at least for now. Not ready to commit to a remote session yet, but it is encouraging.

2 Likes

Exactly this. I can build a PC, install stuff, stick an iLok in a USB port, disconnect from all networks and it will run forever. Even if the businesses go bust, which is effectively what happened here with a forced migration to another business whose sole aim seems to be to f*** you up.

This isn’t the first time InMusic has screwed up s/w they’ve bought out from other developers. Past is prologue to the future it seems.

1 Like

No. I absolutely do NOT want iLok. There are so many different systems that are more user-friendly than any of the crap that’s been going on here. I do not want iLok drivers or software on my machines.

1 Like

Very much the same.

I own one iLok bit of software and its not installed any more as I just cant be dealing with its nonsense :slight_smile:

Most of my auths are on iLok and wouldn’t have it any other way. Machine authorizations are a royal pain and this abortion that is being used for BFD is just that. With an iLok I can take my stuff anywheres I want no problem. NO internet access needed. iLok is as seamless as it gets.

1 Like

To each their own, but then Im not really down with any of these options tbh :slight_smile: They’re all equally annoying to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, it’s all academic. Drew made it very clear once that iLok won’t happen. And honestly, I’d be careful what I wished for. I can’t really imagine conversion to iLok going better than the present conversion. The only reason it seems better is because we’re not going through it. As a result, it would suit me just fine. I just don’t think it’s going to happen.

2 Likes

I’d love iLok a LOT better than this mess we’re going through. Once on the dongle - that’s it. No phoning home every few months and no losing auths on a random basis. At least we’re not using that crappy codemeter system.

1 Like

Thats only looking at it from your end tho, not how much hassle it would be to implement on BFD’s end. There is nothing to say that it wouldnt just prolong another mess taking the current code out, and implementing iLok, instead of just working out the current bugs, or any other number of scenarios that might erupt from starting all over again.

3 Likes

I don’t have any problem telling a vendor that as a customer, I prefer one thing to another. I’m the customer. I don’t need to see it from their point of view. I can use their product or not. Personally, for me, iLok would work better.

I just look at the current situation, and think that it’s pretty unlikely to show up, so I’m not going to pound my head on that wall. iLok licensing could affect not just BFD, but all the 3rd party content providers - some of whom don’t even sell BFD products anymore.

I actually lost a couple of (unimportant) computer based iLok licenses the last time my laptop died. If they were dongle, that wouldn’t have happened. If they were BFDdrums style licenses, it also wouldn’t have happened. But there’s probably a whole another class of headaches that iLok could present that we’re just not thinking of, because it would involve another vendor. But so far I haven’t lost a dongle.

As far as behavior goes, I think the 90 day (or longer) refresh with some warnings and the ability to accelerate those dates to fit my schedule would go a long way. However, it is not my main concern with the scheme.

I’m more concerned that my licenses, which I own, are only good as long as BFD remains in business and doesn’t change it’s pricing model. If I decide to time capsule a machine because I need the 2021 version of BFD3 for all eternity, I can’t do that, because I’m dependent on BFD allowing me to use them - even though they’re my property.

2 Likes

Agreed. Totally this.

EDIT: I guess what I meant was that now switching to yet another system, whatever that might be, might start all this hassle all over again and take another god knows how many months to settle. Seems better that we keep banging our heads on resolving the issues you’ve stated first.

Which is why I called them (iLok) up. Not to discount any implementation challenges, but DRM is what they do, with a number of very well known blue chip customers so they need to be good at it. The other issue could be the annual license fee which will impact product margins, and can only be evaluated with market/customer numbers.

A very valid point, but not confirmed or relevant for their core. (same as my points :slight_smile: )

Looks like a make/buy decision to me. I would hope their resources are focused on what earned them their initial reputation (quality drum samples) and the opportunity to improve the product value/potential with the relaunch (usability, etc).

I’ve had developers take on tasks outside of their core competency “because they can” and the results have -always- been defocus, additional overhead, missed deadlines and increased service support.

I’m sure they have their reasons, and there are enough quirks in BFD3 to make me think there are additional challenges to the ones that get debated in this forum. I will say this though, they need to get the next release right, no matter how long it takes. Another lesson well learned ime, only instead of bitter forum posts, I was looking at a lawsuit and a very significant financial penalty. Getting it right earned both the client’s respect and all of their business. Hoping for the best.

1 Like

Yep, and this is exactly what has just happened to us all. Transfer of software from one business to another, forced upgrade. The problem with keeping a machine for all eternity is - what happens if it needs a new HDD? If the machine fingerprint is affected then the software will stop working. This is why I like iLok. The dongle works in any machine, whatever I do to it, and the licences stay on it, whether a vendor goes bust or not. I’ve never noticed any issues with the system and have been using iLok for 10 years or more. For me the only options should be: no copy protection or something completely unrelated to the vendor. I’m not really sure of the benefit of copy protection. With a bit of effort you can find cracked versions of most things. I pay for my software because I choose to.

1 Like

As said before I love iLok dongle. Even VSL is going to go iLok from their current Vienna/Steinberg key.

1 Like

I was extremely upset

I see SSD5 is currently $99. I could be tempted, don’t know much about it other than it works.

I have it and use it. It’s a great sounding, simple to use drum sampler. Definitely more processed sounding (even the supposed unprocessed samples) and the cymbals are lacking, compared to BFD3.
But, if you don’t mind getting to the finished drum sound faster, then it’s a good option.

Another thing it lacks are expansion packs… just 5 I believe and it’s not really something they seem to care a lot about. BFD3 obviously has a great selection.

No issues with authorization or bugs that I can note. A few years ago, they had issues with AAX, but that’s resolved.
I’ve been blending kicks and snares from it with BFD3 and the combo is working well.

I don’t care for someone else’s finished drum sound, I want my own

3 Likes

Make bfd free, then no piracy worries. Only like it is now its not worth much if you can’t depend on it. SIMPLES

2 Likes