So, I was able to observe the reauth cycle as BFD intended. Here’s what I saw on Mac:
At exactly 30 days, three of my kits were due to be re-authed. I launched BFD3, and I got no message indicating this, probably because BFD3 itself was still authorized. The content in question all appeared in the browsers, and I got no error message, or anything in the Content Locations indicating that licensing was an issue. The content itself, though, wouldn’t load. No errors or messages. Just wouldn’t load.
I then launched the LM. The LM said the three broken kits were unauthorized. It contacted inMusic, reauthorized them, and everything was hunky dory. I saw the temp auth keys in com.inmusicbrands.softwareunlock corresponding to those products were updated.
*********************Now the interesting part *********************
I wanted to test whether I could pre-emptively deauth and reauth a kit, so that I could force reactivation. I took my least used kit, and dauthed and reauthed it. Seemed OK. Did that two more times - and got the message that I had reached my maximum number of authorizations, and couldn’t do it again.
So, it seems that BFD has left us no mechanism to force reauthorization, and that we’re left at the whims of the LM to determine when we can do that. THIS is the unacceptable part. I could probably live with 30 days (although, to be honest, it’s really, really short, given that own these products permanantly), IF I could force the reauthorization to occur on my schedule, without burning through some opaque, indeterminite, hidden limit.
So, if inMusic is going to force this scheme on us, we need:
1.) countdown timer, displayed in the LM, to know when the current temp authorization runs out
2.) license authorization refresh button
3.) unlimited reauthorization on a single machine when refreshing using this system. i.e. if I gig with BFD every Friday night, I need to refresh every Friday night. Not two or three times with an email to support, and not two or three times in a month. It has to work every time.