Please help me to get the inMusic version BFD3 working

Your right. I’ve written my own version of this letter. This is the craziest situation I’ve seen with any music software. I’ve actually never had problems with other software.

BFD is the only drum software I am familiar with, and I really like the “Oblivion “ sounds, so I’m hanging in there for now.

Have you found my “New License Manager Won’t Launch “ post. If that doesn’t work, then that’s all I’ve got.

One of my dumb mistakes was thinking that running the license manager was installing BFD. I was panicking over a Pro Tools Crash, and did not realize I needed to click on Bfd3 to open the download window.

Your expansion packs will need to be re- downloaded through InMusic, or at least a new authorization code.

I don’t want to repeat stuff you may already know. Let me know if you need more, or hopefully someone more Davy will chime in.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know what more you can possibly do if BFD’s license servers are unavailable. I’ve only briefly experienced this - but that in no way suggests that the service is available worldwide and scaled properly on the time basis that the new licensing scheme requires. It’s absolutely dependent on getting updated keys for both BFD and all expansions.

I don’t see any reason why you would lose all your maps/presets and projects.
As long as they’re backed up beforehand you can easily reimport any that might have got lost during the migration process.

Alternatively you could bypass the automatic migration process and do it manually but I think it might be too late for that.

Steve

I have the some problem. :frowning:

2 Likes

Where exactly might I find those config files? Thanks…

Yes, thanks - have it here now: New License Manager, Installer won’t launch - #6 by TomLaRosa
I’ll try that.

Wouldn’t the uninstaller take those very same actions tho?
I might try the uninstaller, then use your post to see if those items were deleted by the uninstaller.

I didn’t mention ‘config’ files. :thinking:

I was talking about presets and key maps as I thought that’s what you were worried about losing.

I’m at work now but I can give you the location for all the config files later.

Steve

in my case it helped to log off manually in the license manager and then logon again. This helped to get around the message "There was an issue retrieving your list of products Our server was unable to process the request. Please try again shortly. Server message: "
hope it helps

OK - thank you, will try that too.

If that’s true, then the auth token will have expired. Very fixable in code! To at least present a reason, rather than nothing.
It did say I was logged in on the status bar in the bottom of window… So maybe not.
Nevertheless, it’s worth a shot, for sure.

Can I please get confirmation that this is the correct, latest-and-greatest, version that I ought to be using? And if not, can you please point me to the installer that I should be using?

When I got the license server message, I had some luck with logging out of license manager, and logging back in, which seemed to solve the issue.

When updating to a new version of BFD and license manager, you need to make sure license manager is closed before you update, or license manager won’t update, and everything will be broken. It should really force close itself when the installation of a newer version is detected.

I also took a further step the other day, where I deauthorized all of my BFD software/expansions, and reauthorized them, as every 30 days you need to reauthorize everything or you will find that your software activation has self destructed after 30 days, and if authorizations are out of sync, it creates a massive headache when managing projects that use BFD.

If an expansion has been deauthorized and you load it up in your DAW, BFD does not inform you of this, it just fails to load anything. Not only that, but it actually completely unloads all of the BFD kit pieces from the instrument, so if you are unfortunate enough to have saved the project, you will lose all of the BFD settings.

1 Like

Right - more stuff to be aware of. I appreciate the advice, thanks.

Honestly - maybe I just run with FXpansion version - wait another while for inMusic to sort this.
Like I say, I really have zero appetite for messing. Last time I checked, FXpansion’s latest BFD version was working fine.

I will try to get stability into the inMusic version tho. But, I’m not poking so much at it that it’d potentially break a working version (the FXpansion installation).

Re. 30 day re-authorisation - is that by design? A bug, or a feature?

I think that the re authorization thing has been fixed already. However: You could setup the new Version from scratch without touching the old one. Maybe this needs to be confirmed for Windows but on the Mac, all preferences and content folders are different. This could give you the best of both worlds without even trying to migrate stuff. Then you can import the presets and kits without any risk at all and finally (at least this is what I have experienced) come up with a more compact new BFD system that not only has new instruments but is also smaller in filesize without any compromise to the sound.
The new downloads are necessary because they have changed the file format from .wav to .bfdlac

The authorization thing is not fixed. I had another 3 authorizations deactivated within the last week, 7 the week before that.

It is difficult to believe that self destructing authorizations it is not ‘a feature’. In the last iteration, it was ‘always online’, so expansions would deactivate as soon as there was no internet connection. Apparently that was ‘a bug’.

Oh yeah? So the pack content has changed with this new 3.4.x release of BFD too?

I believe most have been .bfdlac for a few years now. IIRC anything with a download ticket over at FXpansion was in bfdlac format.

Sorry for making assumptions.
The only thing I know is that previous versions were able to read wav whereas the new versions don’t. I just have noticed that all that was not wav has been updated.

a clean install as suggested there has naught to do with your user files. Make a copy of presets, kits or maps and that in a user directory if you don’t have one. This will be under a top directory named BFD Drums (what used to be fxpansion) in a subfolder eg., BFD 2 or BFD 3. Per the latter be advised the audio Data is its own folder, “BFD3 Core Library”, your presets et al don’t go there. Apparently BFD3 will save these in a factory folder but to be safe make sure you have a user directory particularly if you’re experiencing that migration difficulty. I don’t know about windows, the migration part of this was seamless for me under OSX Catalina. However the “fixed” de-authorization assertion has to be tempered by the understanding it will phone home (at least?) ‘once a month’, albeit here I saw it twice in as many days here.

Hi folks, so logging out, and in again, thru Licence Manager, works. My packs and BFD are authorised.

But BFD is still crashing on launch, with an internal error bug.
Opening the Minidump in Visual Studio…

Like I said above, I’m on 3.4.2.4.
Can someone please tell me if that beta is known to be goosed? And advise what version I should be running?

1 Like

What beta? I’m using 3.4.2.4, the installer reads ‘update’.
It works perfectly since 3.4.1.1 here - ie., same as 3.3 or every other version I have any recollection of - except for when the DRM issue rears its ugly head, which simply means no access.

‘tried to read from a virtual address…’ - googling the phrase got me:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/UPDATED-Instability-with-certain-Cakewalk-plugins-after-recent-Windows-10-updates-m3526221.aspx

It has come to our attention that a recent Windows 10 update has introduced instability in a subset of our plug-ins and may cause SONAR or other Windows DAWs to crash. The problem is related to a change in the timing for thread initialization on Windows, which leads to intermittent crashing on project load, plug-in scanning, or adding these plug-ins to a project. We are able to reproduce the issue and it appears to only affect some systems since it is timing related.