Please help me to get the inMusic version BFD3 working

Sorry for making assumptions.
The only thing I know is that previous versions were able to read wav whereas the new versions don’t. I just have noticed that all that was not wav has been updated.

a clean install as suggested there has naught to do with your user files. Make a copy of presets, kits or maps and that in a user directory if you don’t have one. This will be under a top directory named BFD Drums (what used to be fxpansion) in a subfolder eg., BFD 2 or BFD 3. Per the latter be advised the audio Data is its own folder, “BFD3 Core Library”, your presets et al don’t go there. Apparently BFD3 will save these in a factory folder but to be safe make sure you have a user directory particularly if you’re experiencing that migration difficulty. I don’t know about windows, the migration part of this was seamless for me under OSX Catalina. However the “fixed” de-authorization assertion has to be tempered by the understanding it will phone home (at least?) ‘once a month’, albeit here I saw it twice in as many days here.

Hi folks, so logging out, and in again, thru Licence Manager, works. My packs and BFD are authorised.

But BFD is still crashing on launch, with an internal error bug.
Opening the Minidump in Visual Studio…

Like I said above, I’m on 3.4.2.4.
Can someone please tell me if that beta is known to be goosed? And advise what version I should be running?

1 Like

What beta? I’m using 3.4.2.4, the installer reads ‘update’.
It works perfectly since 3.4.1.1 here - ie., same as 3.3 or every other version I have any recollection of - except for when the DRM issue rears its ugly head, which simply means no access.

‘tried to read from a virtual address…’ - googling the phrase got me:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/UPDATED-Instability-with-certain-Cakewalk-plugins-after-recent-Windows-10-updates-m3526221.aspx

It has come to our attention that a recent Windows 10 update has introduced instability in a subset of our plug-ins and may cause SONAR or other Windows DAWs to crash. The problem is related to a change in the timing for thread initialization on Windows, which leads to intermittent crashing on project load, plug-in scanning, or adding these plug-ins to a project. We are able to reproduce the issue and it appears to only affect some systems since it is timing related.

So everyone is on 3.4.2.4, yeah? Licence Manager says it’s latest-and-greatest, but the day I installed 3.4.2.4 is the day BFD stopped working.

To be clear, I’m running the Standalone version of BFD, when crashes every time, on launch.

That Cakewalk link is four years old. I’ve not had any crashes on this machine with any other music software in years, incl Cakewalk itself, and Z3TA and Rapture from Cakewalk. So I doubt that it’s Windows causing an exception to be thrown in BFD3 on my machine.
So saying, there’s benefit in assuming that some file is corrupt in the installation, so, uninstall, reinstall, should be a good idea, right?

So I uninstalled BFD thru Licence manager, informed me I needed to manually delete these files:

The following items failed to uninstall properly, please manually delete them…
C:\Program Files\BFD Drums\BFD License Manager\BFD License Manager.exe
C:\Program Files\BFD Drums\BFD3\BFD3 Uninstaller.exe
C:\Program Files\BFD Drums\BFD License Manager\BFD License Manager.exe

So I did that.
So uninstalling BFD thru Licence Manager uninstalls Licence Manager too? How strange!

I then downloaded and installed the Licence Manager again, from Downloads and Documentation | BFD.
Went to install BFD 3.4.2.4 thru my new installation of Licence Manager. Not sure how to interpret this screen:

Downloaded 66.6/93.3 MB? How strange!

But the BFD installer is failing, with this message:

Alert
BFD License Manager is running, and needs to be be updated. Please close all BFD Applications and DAWs and run this installer again.

Note that I don’t have “BFD Applications” running - I’ve already uninstalled it. And now DAWs are running on my system right now.

Checking the About panel on Licence Manager, says it’s:

Repeated the above process twice.

The BFD 3.4.2.4 installer tells me the Licence Manager software I have just downloaded needs to be updated in order to install the BFD 3.4.2.4 software that I seem to have downloaded? How strange!

So now, what? What magic sauce am I missing this time?

So I went to see what logs I could find. Found some here:

C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD License Manager\Logs

In BFD License Manager.txt, I could see that the licence manager downloaded the Windows installer, in a directory under my system default Downloads dir.
So I closed Licence Manager, and ran “BFD3_Update_3-4-2-4_Win.exe” in the “BFD Drums\BFD3 Update 3.4.2.4” directory under my Downloads dir. And BFD installed fine.

So you can’t install BFD with Licence Manager running currently. That surely is a bug.

Anyway - launching BFD.exe, is still crashing, with the Minidump I mentioned above, same message… “The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.”

I’m gonna bite the bullet and go with what others have indicated is a way to truly clean the system, using this post:

Hey, this fix got my InMusic BFD working. It did not delete FXPansion. My shift to In Music was pretty chaotic until this fix. Now I’m off FXPansion, but I haven’t deleted the old sample libraries. I’m almost to that point.

Just solve one issue at a time.

I lost some presets, probably my fault, but my new Oblivion kit blows everything else away, so I don’t care.

I’m not a Computer wizard but I suspect the InMusic BFD needs remnants of FXpansion BFD. I think the fxpansion name is still in my Pro Tools Plug in folder.

Also, I’ve had ProTools crash a couple of times and I think it was BFDs fault. So, lately when I’m really putting in a lot of work on a session, I will stop and close the session to make sure I don’t lose anything.

TL

1 Like

Hi, so working thru that post I linked, BFD still crashing.

So I uninstalled everything again, work thru the post I linked above, and also this time, I deleted this directory:
C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3

Lots of files there - weren’t deleted by the BFD installer.

So now, BFD starts. Licence Manager is OK - my expansion packs are licenced:

And the Content Locations dialog found my packs:

But none of that content is appearing in BFD…

Note that I do still have FXpansion BFD running still. For visibility, here are the packs that FXpansion BFD can see:

What do I need to do to get my existing Packs that appear and work fine in FXpansion BFD to be available for selection in inMusic BFD?

Fxpansion basically doesn’t work with InMusic. When you run the license manager and installer, I would not bother to migrate FXpansion stuff in.

You have downloaded the InMusic BFD3 content? Have you got the London Sessions (BFD 2) content downloaded ?

The only old Fx expansion pack I have is evil drums, and InMusic has a new download for that. Fxpansion is gone. I imagine all of your expansion packs have new downloads through InMusic.

Click on them in the authorization window, and see what’s there.

1 Like

Thanks Tom.

You are spot on - while inMusic can see the Content Paths for the FXpansion flavour of the Packs fine, it doesn’t want to load them.

And you’re your right, checking inMusic Licence Manager, yes it says those packs don’t exist. So I have downloaded and installed one right now thru inMusic Licence Manager, and yes, it’s there!

Also - yes I did avoid the Migrate BFD option in the BFD installer. Saw elsewhere on this forum that that should be avoided.

Thanks again Tom. Much appreciated.

I will mop up this thread before long with something more definitive of my actions that solved the issues I encountered.

I do also want to understand where the files that have the Midi Maps and Presets stored, so I can copy across from FXpansion safely.

I see you have BFD 1 and probably BFD 2. These have become Eldorado and London Sessions respectively. If they’re authorized in BFD’s LM, you just need to download the content and then point BFD to their locations for the scan.

Most other 3rd party expansions don’t need their content redownloaded, just the new serial will do.

Kits, presets, maps, etc reside somewhere at Users\fxpansion. I’d first make sure I have everything working and only then would I scan for these, or even better, I’d manually copy them over (to the new users\bfd structure) and then scan for them.

You’re almost there, hang in there.

1 Like

Not my experience. Probably because my expansions were all from BFD2 times (JEX, ORCH, PER, TAIKO)

1 Like

They’re not 3rd party kits though, I think @ggmanestraki is talking about Platinum samples, Chocolate Audio, Sonic Reality and Drum Drops.

So far I don’t think Sonic Reality and Drum Drops are available although BFD Drums have been in contact with them, they are yet to respond.

Steve

1 Like

I could be mistaken then. I don’t remember having to redownload my maple jazz content, but then again with all the commotion during the migration I’m not 100% sure I didn’t.

@Steve63 I don’t have any of these, I was thinking about my maple jazz and other stuff people said had migrated ok, but as I said, I could be mistaken.

Sorry for the pause.

Yeah I did have to get some new serials from Drew for Percussion and jex kits so it wasn’t just the 3rd party stuff.
I’m still waiting for Drumdrops to take some action but there’s nothing for me to download in the LM yet. :roll_eyes:

Steve

I can see that this is very infuriating but in order to get everything working for BFD3.4

1. you have to migrate all your content, The new license manager will not recognise FXpansion,

2. when you install the BFD3.4.2.4 you have to turn the Licence Manger off before you install the BFD3.4.2.4 software other wise the new licence manager will not be installed and thus all the issues

3. Find BFD3.4.2.4 and start downloading it. You can monitor the download progress on the Downloads tab in BFD License Manager.

4. Once downloaded click the magnifying glass to open the download location in Explorer or Finder.

5. Close BFD License Manager, and start the installer for BFD3.4.2.4.

If you have already worked this out I apologise.

1 Like

Some do, some don’t. I have some that aren’t available anymore. Drum Drops, for instance. I’m pretty sure I didn’t reinstall any Platinum Samples content. BFD issued new license strings, but the content hasn’t changed.

Solid advise, and yes that’s exactly what I did, essentially.

I did elect not to migrate settings from old FXpansion BFD in the installer dialog too. I think that was a source of the crashes I was experiencing. I deleted C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3, had a bunch of files there. A clean installation has that directory alot… cleaner… now.

I’ll pick up the move of presets and maps tomorrow.

Any idea when the DrumDrops packs will be migrated to ‘new’ BFD? I know what has been said here, they haven’t responded… I deffo have old projects with those kits / kit pieces loaded… Not sure if the few preset kits I have built over the years include them, I think not, but yeah, can replace those kit pieces easily enough should I need to.

There’s no need for a migration. The old content works. You just need an updated license string. You should see that license in your inMusic account, if you did the online migration. If not, send your old license string to support or Drew, and they’ll generate you a new one.

Drum Drops has sworn off any future support of BFD. I hope that was just a Roli thing. They make good stuff, and there are a couple of kits there that I’d like to see in BFD format again. But all your old content should countinue to work.

and even after all that, theres a good chance that it still wont be working…