New expansion pack on the main page

Hahah, thats madness. I bought a reel to reel 70’s TEAC last year. Its still in its box. High minded ideas, but I def got it for the sound it would add, it’ll be great for drums but it’ll be way noticeable and none removeable once printed.

Something like BFD doesnt need the extra ‘colour’, we can all do that ourselvses :slight_smile: Just the drums, ma’am.

Not drama.

Trading standards - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

Not drama, not ‘probably should’. Youre adding to this, so if we’re drama…

EDIT: Been ‘asking’ for a year. This isnt about asking anymore, this is about BFD/InMusic entering into negotiations instead of just saying no/wait for an indefinite length of time.

2 Likes

At no point have I ever asked you about your personal circumstances or your mental health for that matter, you divulged those things to me entirely of your own free will.

I didn’t make it my business, you did.

Steve

Cool, then that conversation is over. Thank you! Appreciated. I was attempting to explain, but it didnt work. No worries.

Perhaps you misread my post as I didn’t make that claim.

I did say however that any NEW BFD customer will 100% have internet connection because without one, there is no other way of owning BFD.

Steve

3 Likes

One can only hope

Steve

4 Likes

After moving to InMusic I had a couple of nasty surprises related to BFD license schema, also the annoying cymbals choke issue. Other than that, BFD is running ok for me.

That said, I also find the requirement of BFD to call InMusic servers periodically in order to keep working extremely bullying, if not plain illegal, as in no place such requirement is mentioned. Unaware buyers figure it out a couple of months after purchasing.

Some argue here, I guess in good faith, that it’s not a big deal to be forced to refresh the license, but that’s not the point.

BFD/InMusic has every right to set any license schema they want, but must be upfront about it. And offer a way out (refund) for those who don’t agree with schema changes.

Also, it won’t be the first time a software company goes south leaving customers on their own, with useless software that can’t be authorized anymore, I have already been there a couple of times.

In my case, I am still here because I have invested heavily in BFD and I also prefer it to the other virtual drums solutions available. But in no way I am happy about it.

So I join the fellow forum members who are asking InMusic/BFD to do it right. It is a shame we are spending time in such a thing instead of talking about the new expansion, but whatever.

3 Likes

Or they could download it at a friends and go home (if that were an option). Or they could have friends phone give them tethering and then the friend goes home.

I could go on but you dont want me to. Steve, this a stunning lack of imagination. And WE ARE ALL NEW CUSTOMERS TO INMUSIC.

Ha! Touche. But you keep replying and prolonging even tho its literally got nothing to do with you. Youre making our interaction drag out.

You need to take this up with BFD/InMusic, not me.

So what youre saying is BFD NEEDS THE INTERNET TO WORK? Huh. The site needs to state that and remove all other references to it not needing the internet to run except for initial download and initial authorisation.

Also, re a previous comment, UK trading laws do not work on using little speech mark finger symbols in contracts or in court. Your ‘doesnt’ is gonna be irrelevant in a civil claim.

It either states minimum requirements or it doesnt.

1 Like

Thank you for your contribution, @abzic

Very well said. I appreciate your post, and I think I agree with all of it :slight_smile: This is not a position I want to be in, I would much rather be talking about how to program drums and sound like a real drummer.

This needs resolving tho.

1 Like

Agree… In any case, I hope you figure it out how not to lose your investment in BFD. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not buying any further expansions, even on sale, until we have some clarity and transparency about what is happening to BFD in the future. So far the response haven’t been very forthcoming.

2 Likes

I’d buy an expansion tomorrow if this was all resolved.

EDIT: I’d buy the new expansion, give some money to charity, post on at least three forums how amazing BFD are, then cancel my internet immediately without waiting for the shut off. I’d unplug the router and throw it out the window, and I’d cry with joy and make some awesome music for myself.

1 Like

The issue here for me is that I cannot use my computer for “computer stuff” because every time it connects, a day’s worth of automatic “required updates” takes over, from Windows to anti-virus to Adobe and everything else. I just want to use the computer I paid for, and the software I paid for, at-will, willy-nilly, with no questions asked, ever. IF I see an update that contains a feature I want, or addresses a problem I’m having, I’ll get it manually. If it doesn’t, then it can sit there on its little server until I die. I simply do not have any evidence that proves, definitively, that every niggling little “update” is for my benefit, will “improve my user experience”, or make anything “easier” or “better” on my end, the user-end, which is the only end that matters to me. Everything has the “tailored experience” tag stuck to it. I don’t want a “tailored experience” that doesn’t include a “don’t ever bother me, I’ll be in touch if I need something” option. I don’t want to have to butcher my registry to disable “features” I’m not using, or that do not improve my user experience (despite its claims). I want the most basic functions running - BIOS, OS, required drivers, and whatever software I manually start. Microsoft doesn’t understand this concept. Most software companies don’t understand it, because they erroneously believe that if you pester the piss out of someone they’ll give you money to leave them alone.

So yes, I DO have internet. I do my best to stay disconnected because it’s far more inconvenient to have an active connection running and configure everything to run in a “panic room” virtual machine just to avoid problems with hackers who aren’t brave enough to divulge their physical location.

1 Like

i track live all the time (quite a bit of singer songwriter stuff) and there is -no way- i’m gonna lose a take because some dodgy bit of software decided it needed to check my id.

all network/wifi/antivirus instances have been scrubbed/disabled and otherwise managed on a dedicated pc.

a large part of my work (and income) comes from location work in wilderness/back country settings without the benefit of reliable internet or even mobile access. (thanks to covid)

InMusic absolutely killed two well paying sessions at the time with a very poorly implemented DRM.

imho and IME… they would greatly benefit by focusing on a user friendly experience to enable the future viability of this product.

I think this is an extremely unlikely scenario.

BFD3 will check its licence status as soon as you open it up.
I have never known it to check during a session, it’s always at the start.

Steve

@Steve63 thx for the note, have not looked at the manual for some time,

so -no- chance of the validation timer being triggered -after- BFD has been launched for a project?
i’ve been known to run extended sessions 8-12-?! hrs in remote locations.

but assuming that -if- BFD is launched w/o internet access -and- the validation check is triggered in between loading different projects (and reloading BFD). it will fail.

in other words. it’s not a machine/installation state check, it’s an instance of BFD?

have the (DRM) specifics been documented somewhere? would be nice to confirm the “state/resolution” of the validation timer.

fwiw, the tracking issues i’m referring to hit the CPU hard enough to degrade the audio engine so a bit sensitive here to anything that launches “in the background”. (graphics card “utility”, OS “services” (thx MS) and in a one/two? cases a plugin…

once bitten …jme

I’ve not had it happen to me and as I said, I think it’s extremely unlikely.
I’ve not seen any posts on here where this has been reported.
I don’t know if there’s a predetermined time that BFD3 and BFD Player needs before checking but I’ve never had it check twice in a day, Perhaps on a daily basis.

If BFD is launched with no internet access, and it attempts to validate your licence, then I’m afraid it won’t be usable until you can get it on line.

Personally I think that just sucks for those who don’t have, or always have a connection.

For those of us who do, it’s a minor irritation but I’m 100% against it in principle.

Steve

Actually, I’m getting confused between BFD3 and BFD Player.

BFD3 has a timer/countdown that tells you how many days you have before you will need to reauthorise so that should never happen in the middle of a session if you keep your eye on the LM to see how many days till you need to get back on line.

BFD Player seems to check if I haven’t used it for a few days but that’s a different thing altogether.

I just opened my licence manager and it’s saying 90 days so the timer never reaches zero days.
I think it just refreshes in the background when I’m using BFD3.

My DAW is on line all the time and I haven’t had any issues that have impacted my use for years.

Steve

thx for the note, still on a previous version (no timer display…) so on me to update. :+1:

not sure if ur PC or Mac, but took some work to get a rock solid config on a PC. the culprits were network drivers, an NVidia utility, MS Win updates and some interface issues. pretty straightforward in the end, moved to Win10 Pro, disabled pretty much everything and any network access is set to manual. had some issues with laptops (power mgmt), so the money gigs run on a industrial rack mounted PC. it works.

still exploring options, finding a couple, but would drop them all (well most, one is a real drummer) for a drm license that guarantees peace of mind -for an existing investment- in the event of some customer unfriendly business decision.

just one long time users opinion

1 Like