New expansion pack on the main page

Great card. Onboard converters let it down S/N-wise a little. But it had midi.
We got that one down to -90Db in a midi-tower with a little effort.
Ah , those were the days.

RME Hammerfall.
Orange Vocoder.
LM4 mk1.
Steinberg De-noiser.
Magneto mk1.
TC reverb.
The Grand.
All for the price of a new car!

I quit working with MAudio when they insisted on USB and Firewire being the way forward. A budgeted PCI Delta 88 with outboard converters was the logical step - but it fell on deaf ears. So many people had ADAT stuff too , but they turned their back on that whole market - when they could have integrated instead.

I had one of those too. My first soundcard when I was 15, many many years ago. Crikey.

2 Likes

A few Yamaha AW4416 still floating around , at Ā£300 or so.
Many with 16 inputs , and a Waves card.

1 Like

haha cool, I still have the original CD install pack for LM4, that was what I used until BFD came along :slight_smile:

1 Like

I serviced the reel to reel quite a while back. After the dreaded sticky-shed syndrome debacle. But thatā€™s another story and interesting subject.

I wouldnā€™t truly want to go back down that road - pleasurable though it was, and a very steep learning curve.

One thing I have noticed (possibly/probably deliberate) As the music software side of things have improved (for me) the tech side had gone down hill seriously (mainly Windows - needless updates - political if you ask me - spying etc). In the name of forcing folk to lay out more and more money, thatā€™s just not available on new hardware. Windows 11 being the prime example - I will just not and canā€™t go there.

I know folk are not happy with the situation with BFD, me included. But from my initial teething problems with the change over from fxpansion, Iā€™ve been running (vst wise) with virtually no problem.

As you say. Iā€™ve seen one or two reel to reel machines/systems up for sale. And I have to say - If I had the money Iā€™d love to invest back into that just for the hell of it. Looking back - it never really gave any downtime problems - only on service day.

Anyway - back to some sort of creation calls.

Excellent subject matter (for those with interest in that sort of stuff).

2 Likes

Soā€¦ little bit of behind the scenes stuffā€¦ we had the idea to run everything to tape when recording Dark Farm. We did a few tests, and generally preferred the sounds without. Which was just as well, because the amount of recording time that running to tape adds ā€¦ itā€™s monstrous!

Iā€™m glad I grew up in a world of Reason and Fruityloops and Audiophile 24/96ā€™s tbh!!

2 Likes

Iā€™d really like to purchase the new pack - sadly money dictates (with my situation).

Still - maybe in the future.

Are you going to do a video on the making of this new pack.

If you have I havenā€™t seen one - only whatā€™s on the BFD site.

Iā€™m not a big lover of you tube these days, but I still donā€™t see a channel for you - is it in the offing?

Aye, already out!

2 Likes

Just watching it now - donā€™t know how Iā€™ve missed it?

Still - here goes.

EDIT

Sounds good.

Itā€™s on the list.

True.
I found that with Win 10 , even with my extensive knowledge of the registry , and my abilities to lean-out operating-systems - it still had yet another surprise lurking around the corner , just when you thought you had stopped your performance meter dancing around for good.
I spent weeks on it , by request , and my final report was that it would not be something that I could write a fresh install disc for , and put my name behind.
Both XP and Win 7 were easy to do my stuff on , and I seriously recommended a discrete dual-build for home-users , with only one machine.
Iā€™d been championing Windows for almost 20 years by this time , but with Win 10 , I decided to move over completely to Macs - and for once , keep it all at armā€™s length by being a more naive user.
After all , I still had a music-career to consider , and you canā€™t play guitar with a computer keyboard on your lap.
In doing so , this has highlighted more of the problems associated with web-based integration - the very thing Iā€™d warned about back in 2000.
My 2016 Intel Mac setup is minimalist , and has monitor , MacBook , 88-key , trackball , remote Mac keyboard , and one USB hub.
After a long break , I returned to Cubase , and dived into Cubase 11/Wavelab 10 , and it all seems reasonably workable.
Very impressed with the top-spec MacBook , and current NVMe-drives.

However , in the past I had worked with the guys from DFH , and ran the pre-Toontrack full dry samples from them in (funnily enough) the excellent DK-008. Choosing my own compression , ambience , and velocity-scaling in 4 mono outputs and a number of stereo-pairs.
This would be my number one way of working , especially with such software as the East-West reverbs and the Abbey Road plugins - which I adopted when switching to Mac.

So , this is just to state my intentions.
All other hardware and software is indeed kept at armā€™s length , until it can work seamlessly , and be integrated into my workflow without being dominant , or requiring constant attention.
Iā€™m not looking that hard , since there is nothing else I really need.

I bought BFD3 when they were with FxExpansion - simply out of curiosity ,and because it was cheap (KVR half-price sale).
Hardly used it. But it had a few interesting , unique features which were probably worth playing with.
My overview now is that they are in transition still , have bugs to address after their move to InMusic , and their emphasis is definitely on presenting ready-made drum sounds in huge libraries.
If this is what the home-market wants , then I wish them luck , and Iā€™m sure they will do well if they iron out the licensing efficiency and LM bugs/omissions.

This is only my home setup. I record accurately just using metering , and generally mix using the iPad and iPhoneā€™s IC-pro App - when sitting properly. in front of the monitors.
The trackball usually sits down to my right , and the computer keyboard rests on the middle of the ā€˜pianoā€™sā€™ casing.
The extra mouse and keyboard are for my PC - with which I play Far Cry 6 now and again. In the photo , Iā€™d obviously had a good session shooting insurgents (Or imaginary Licence Manager coders if you like!).

2 Likes

I saw some Blumlein 4038s there, pointing down a little. Nifty adapters too! But I couldnā€™t make out if they are middle of the room or to the back.

Very nice location, good sounds.

I had a computer build las year (from Scan).

After weeks of frustration I decided it was easier for me to stick with Windows rather than go down the Mac rout (learning curve and my age thing - not what it was).

Itā€™s a fantastic machine and Windows 10 is doing a reasonable job?

But I had far better - stable machines under XP and Windows 7. Windows 7 offering me no problems what so ever.

Having wasted so much time over the years on the tech side (of which Iā€™m not that good at) Itā€™s just good to be able to create.

I never owned BFD 1 but I had access to it, so Iā€™ve used BFD since day one.

I have all the other drum software - Superior/Abbey Road etc but for me Iā€™ve always gone with BFD for itā€™s ā€œindividualā€ drum sound character.

I still (on the very odd occasion) switch on the Alesis SR 16 and other drum modules I still have and wonder how the hell did we make any music what so ever with the tech.

There just never seemed to be any problems only time for creation.

Oh to be young again.

1 Like

Back in the day , many used the Alesis DM5 rack for recording.
I did have a Quadrasynth for a while , and that partnered very well with my DX7mk11.
Back in Sweden , I even used a Tr-707 and 626 to get basic midi-tracks down!
I used a Simmonds kit quite a lot to trigger the DX7.
Those were the days.

1 Like

Excellent.

Yes I have the DM5 - used to run it in tandem with the sr 16. Still love midi though Itā€™s much simplified now through the PC.

The only Kit I have left is the Roland TD 6 - after my accident at work I couldnā€™t play properly, thatā€™s why I went down the programming route. I couldnā€™t let it go. I had the bug and this was the only fix.

Reading these things is fantastic - hopefully takes us all back to better times.

The history of all this development is a fantastic read - I have shelves of the stuff. But itā€™s sometimes mind boggling.

1 Like

What a ridiculous, condescending and presumptious question,. Itā€™s none of your business. People may, for VEDRY GOOD REASON keep their studio PCs offline.

In the past , it was my first question when asked to manage a PC session in a strange to me studio - ā€œIs your recording computer online?ā€
If so , I would immediately turn-down the work.

Invariably , as a session musician on otherā€™s projects , I would see others huddled around a monitor when I walked in , or in the lunch-break , with the engineer proudly playing some clip from Animal Farm or other gross material that he had downloaded from virus-filled Bit Comet.
Pick up my case and leave time.

In a professional situation , were you to have recorded tracks of some artist on your computer , after days of work , and somehow those files were irretrievably corrupted by an external agency or virus - then you will be sued for a comparable amount to what their previous project grossed plus legal-fees.
I spent some time as a courier , running tapes around London to and from studios.
My insurance was in the order of Ā£10 million back in 1983!

Back to current topic - if youā€™ve got Ed Sheeran asking you ā€œWhatā€™s that ā€˜Packs not found in pack-storeā€™ thing thatā€™s popping up?ā€ - then you might want to check your legal cover!!!

Iā€™m with you @Steve63, you are trying to be reasonable, and everyone else in this thread are here for drama.

BFD should probably add ā€œinternet requiredā€ but the way itā€™s asked isā€¦ irritating at best.

4 Likes

Weā€™re trail-blazers man.
Pioneers at the cutting-edge of modern technology.
The pinnacle of human interaction with the digital-age.
The epitome of manā€™s never ending struggle with evil forces that would destroy our very existence.
No-one survives. No-one gets out. But we donā€™t care.
We will be best remembered for our refusal to compromise - even if it meant instant death.
Never forget that

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an awfully long way to write PITA

2 Likes

New Pack sounds good. Id LOVE to hear it with less ROOM going on as well

1 Like