Mixing with BFD

Hey guys. How are you?

It’s been a while since i’ve started watching videos about mixing drums, creating presets, etc.

Is there any tutoríal about how to learn about mixing, effects, paralell compression, etc using bfd3?

I dont know where to start.

I bought BFD just to use it with my edrum but know i want to use it to create my own presets.

Can you help me out or tell me where to start?

Thank you!

Hi Nacho, you should be able to find loads of help there…

1 Like

Good! actually i started using BFD thanks to Benoni’s channel.

Thank you my friend!

1 Like

He’s got some good demo’s and tutorials on there, very helpful.

1 Like

Jordan Valeriote has some great tutorial videos on how to eq/compress drums. He leans towards the heavier genres, but his starting points really apply to acoustic drums of many genres. Sign up for his free cheat sheet with his go-to settings. My recent BFD mixes are sounding so much better having applied some of his principles. He even roasted one of my sessions, but the lessons I learned really helped me out.

1 Like

Yo Fender! How’ve you been my friend?

Thank you!

Hey @Nacho. Things are fine. Been busy taking some french lessons, so not much BFD fun for me of late. Hope you’re doing good dude and good luck with the mixing journey. My advice… really learn how to use the compressor. Pay close attention to what each parameter does to the signal as you tweak it, especially the attack and release and take notes. Yes, they are used to control the dynamics of a sound, but also, they can drastically change the tone as well.

3 Likes

imo the effects within BFD are really good, a lot of people overlook them, you can achieve amazing results by really digging into them as Fender had suggested.

1 Like

Will do. I’m not having much free time lately as well but i will check them out.

I’m still trying to understand BFD to make it work as i want but i’m sure i will learn how.

I find a really big difference between the expansions. Some of them are really low in volume.

For example: Oblivion cymbals are really low volume compared to the shells. Cannot even listen to them in a mlx.

Yeah, there definitely is a lot of inconsistency amongst the expansions. I think I also remember having to tweak the Oblivion sends to the ambient mics quite a bit. I stopped using direct mics for cymbals and just use the OH’s mainly for cymbals, with a little bit of room. You don’t really want a lot of cymbals in the rooms because if you compress them hard, the shells sound good, but the cymbals can get pretty messy. Not having a bunch of direct cymbal mics just makes it easier to mix as well. I only use the direct HiHats and Ride.

Is the same thing happening to Crush?
I mean the cymbals. I would like to try the Dark Farm Shells with the Meinl cymbals.
Specially the hi hat. I feel the open hi hats from Dark Farm has not much sustain as i would like to.
Is there any way i can change that?

Other thing is while i’m playing an open hi hat i get a sound like im choking the open hi hat sound.

The choking hi/hat issue, is that not a setting in your midi parameters for the particular hit? Not sure if I know what I’m in about lol

Maybe the swelling option in the articulation panel?

try it out, I do not use an actaul kit with BFD3, I only prog with it, I don’t have space, but I use some pads and so on. I found when cymbals were choking like that I changed some parameters on the unit I was using (Maschine MK3), for a particular hit I messed with the settings in there and it worked. Maybe check your module settings you can’t sort it in BFD3?

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 08.40.27

I think the problem is that in dar Farm the open tip sound is not as loud as the open shank volume.

Maybe just boost it then?

The Shank is always louder…as on a real acoustic kit …you are hitting with the Shank…

1 Like

Yes. I was used to libraries with less detail.
Is there a way i can make the open tip to sound a little bit louder?

Yes, in the Model tab for kit pieces, you can change the trim/volume for any articulations that the kit piece has.

1 Like