Invert Phase of Snare Bottom

Hi,

I’ve been using BFD for years and today thought “I wonder what happens if I invert phase on the snare bottom?”. It made a huge difference… and a good one at that. Is this the way it is meant to be used? When recording live drums I would naturally invert phase but never thought about it for sampled drums. What are peoples thoughts on this?

1 Like

I’ll have to give that a try and see what happens, I’ve heard of it but never tried it. Thanks for this post.

I would have to say - If it sounds good then it is good. Use it.

1 Like

I haven’t mixed a full song in a DAW for quite some time and have been learning the AI aspect or as Benoni Studios Video refers to it as DAIW…Like it or not is fast approaching.
I have been more focused on using BFD with E-Drumming but you could “Phase EQ” and you hear more variance if you adjust as a Group(s) for example…Kick/Snare… as the bottom snare mic is closer to the kick.
Load a preset with groove , one with multiple Kicks/Snares will provide a wider range you can hear…under “Tweaks” go to the Master Channel…experiment/adjust the Direct and the Kick/Snare Bleeds while going back and forth between the Kit pieces In/Out Phase and the Master Channel while the groove is playing…You’ll get more snap/crack out of the snare and/or a “clickety” kick…typically for Metal without going in and messing with a compressor and transient effect etc.
…as Murt posted “If it sounds good then it is good. Use it.”.
As far as Live mics goes the top hit (Batter Head) on a snare moves downward away from the mic but the bottom (Resonant Head) the hit on the batter resonates on the lower head and moves towards the mic

2 Likes

Nice description, I’ll be sure to test it out when I get a gap. Thanks for that!

Even with BFD, I still always try flipping the polarity of the OH, Kick and Snares summed) to see if I can get a fuller kick sound. Force of habit in my routine. I normally don’t mess with the polarity of say, just the Kick In, or Snare Top, at least with samples. You never know though… mistakes could’ve been made. That’s why I like to print multitracks for drums. The waveforms don’t lie.

3 Likes

This sounds interesting and I’d like to give it a try…but how/where do you invert phase in BFD? Thanks!

The polarity button is just above the mute button on channels in the mixer.

Ugh - duh - thank you!

1 Like