I bought this software, I didn't RENT it!

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 5.28.49 PM
not OK

I’m on Big Sur. It has worked until today.

2 Likes

n/mlkcbckvukdjkdkldpdu

it won’t let me. I suppose I have to disable adblock on my browser. Oh, really great, that forces me to do the whole report again. This is beyond stupid.
I’d like to sue, I’m just livid at this.

1 Like

Oh dear! SO I’ve been absent from this thread for some time, and also not used BFD3 for some time.

Guess what? Today I tried to use it. Cannot. Authorisation failed. Cannot retrieve list blah blah blah.

As far as I’m concerned BFD3 is unsupported abandonware. InMusic should be sued for selling a faulty product. I’m truly fed up that yet again a product I’ve bought and paid for fails to work. Anything other than software and I could take it back to the store and get a refund. InMusic - you are a bunch of shady charlatans. GET THE FRIGGIN’ SYSTEM FIXED (and until you do stop selling new copies to customers who are going to be frustrated and have to waste hours with your poorly implemented system.

3 Likes

[quote=“Scardanelli, post:84, topic:1284”]
As far as I’m concerned BFD3 is unsupported abandonware[/quote]

Not true.

There is still an issue with the LM not connecting to the server or browser.
To get around this, open the LM and log out. The close the LM and open your browser.
Now log into your inmusic account and log in, close your browser and you should find that your LM is now logged in to.

Make sure you’re running the latest version of the licence manager (3.0.5.2) and install that, then get the latest version of BFD3 which is 3.4.3.7

Abandoned or not, it’s still the best virtual drum VST out there.

Steve

1 Like

So far then, wasted more time logging in, logging out.

Cannot retrieve list.

Click on check for updates nothing happens.

The best VST drum app in the world is a piece of vapourware if it doesn’t work.

And I am expected to “work” just to get it working…

2 Likes

I upgraded because BFD2 was indeed the best VST drum app.
I’d love BFD3 to continue that tradition.
I really do not have the time or patience to play with a ridiculous licensing system. convoluted and annoying.

And a real “creative-moment” killer - I think that’s what gets me the most. The fact that when I turn on my system it’s to be creative, not to suddenly have to problem solve to get it working. Completely destroys my mood. I’ve said it before. How about if my DAW did this, and then all my other plugins? Simply unacceptable. InMusic exceptionalism? Nah, not worth the effort.

I shall use BFD2 for as long as it’ll work on my system, and I’m buying Slate.
One day in the future if I read that BFD3 has spent the money on fixing what they already own rather than acquiring new brands, I may try it again. Until then I will badmouth a company that doesn’t give a shit about its customers. This has been going on for far too long. “There is still an issue…” you say - how long has this been an issue? Yes it would be an amazing drum VST - if it worked, when I need it to work, which is at the drop of a hat. Like my Harrison Mixbus, Studio One, Cubase, Dorico, Musescore, and Waves, and Soundtoys, and Diva, and Synthmmaster, and Pianoteque, and and and and…what exactly is it that InMusic doesn’t understand about the creative music business that they purport to be in?

4 Likes

And so I did as you suggested, even got the green ticks on the product and informed that my products were now licensed. Then ran my DAW…

Angry, beyond angry. Furious.

4 Likes

And still it doesn’t NOT work despite the authorisation showing…I have to log out now otherwise I’m in danger of using the F word multiple times and calling the Directors of InMusic a bunch of C words…

3 Likes

how are you measuring that ?

reliability ?

Have you tried Superior Drummer 3 ?

1 Like

Which Mac OS are you on? What version of the License Manager? There’s a license manager hotfix for Monterey floating around.

MacBook - High Sierra, Mac Pro - Mojave, same problem on both. Latest version of License Manager, downloaded manually as the app itself is incapable of connecting when “check for updates” clicked. Different Internet connections both in France where I live and have my studio and here in the UK today where I’m visiting so it’s not a network problem. It’s a lousy software problem.

I’m done with it. Not interested in wasting any more time. I’d not used it for a while and decided to drag it into a project I was working on and spent the next hour fucking about. I certainly would not look forward to sitting in the studio with a client who’d used it 6 months ago and had come back to do a mix…Not worth my time, I’d like my money back actually but I’ll settle for InMusic being sued or going broke due to greed. You simply cannot sell software like this and not provide a permanent fix for the licensing issues. How many months has this been going on? When iLok had a disastrous crash issue the company almost folded and the owner didn’t sleep for days until the problem was fixed. These guys at InMusic couldn’t care less. They need to be brought to book.

3 Likes

I wonder if we do have a legal case here? I’ve suggested a GoFundMe before and it might have seemed hyperbolic, but many of us have spent a lot on BFD and expansions (I’ve so many expansions) and I feel not just the lack of being able to use the software, but the fact that the LM has changed to a 30 day re-licensing system without any announcement has much weight.

I see Steinberg are copying BFD3’s succesful model with their own version. Although I’m sure their version will actually work, I am now ditching Cubase for Studio One. If BFD3 keep this system (which they show no sign of removing, just extending to 90 days) then I’ll probably be getting Superior Drummer 3. If there’s a good enough BF deal coming up I may just get it now as I have little faith in BFD Drums doing the right thing. Smells, like the Steinberg move, of corporatism rather than for any good of the customer.

3 Likes

I’d be more inclined to blame inMusic atm, not that I have any info to base that on, but I think if BFD wanted to do this, we’d have it already under previous owners, plus Drew has said he’s trying to get this changed.

All signs point to it being an inMusic issue.

1 Like

Have you been in touch with @BFD_Drew directly, or any other BFD/inMusic staff?

This needs looking into for sure.

I’m measuring it by the things that matter above all else to me and that’s overall sound + in depth features and effects.

I don’t have SD but having heard demo’s it does sound good but still too processed to my ears and that’s what matters most to me.

Steve

2 Likes

yet

Our opinion as well. They’re great sounds for many purposes but not ours.

It was a bit annoying to wade through all the glossy marketing on the TT site but five kits claim to have raw sounds which might be a usable start. Our community is planning to split the cost of picking up SD3 and these expansions to give them an in depth review and assessment for our needs, just keeping an eye out for any potential Black Friday Deals (ha, a new BFD) to take some the sting out of it. Posting any head to head conclusions here would be poor form no matter how arsed we might be, but YT might be your friend.

There are more processed expansions and presets in BFD’s catalog. Honestly, it’s always too much for my tastes. I always go back to the unprocessed, unmixed kit, and do my own tweaking. There’s a sweet spot in there somewhere, and only my ear can find it for me. That’s just how I have to work.

When it comes to the licensing scheme, I’m not thrilled with it, either. I guarantee you, I have more in this product than just about anyone else, and don’t appreciate anything that suggests it could be taken away.

At the same time, I recognize the need to either secure the product or it will be lost to crackers. That undercuts the bottom line that gets me product fixes and OS upgrades. I also recognize the need for a vendor to generate a revenue stream to create these for me.

Furthermore, while I do feel I own my content, and I don’t like anything that challenges that idea, I know realistically that I’m never going to actually time capsule a machine to secure that ownership. If BFD ceased to exist as a supported product, I, like everyone else here, would just have to move on to something else.

I could try to paint the situation differently, but I wouldn’t be honest if I did. I’m just glad I don’t have to move on now.

1 Like

Yep. Everyone I work with is exactly the same. We use real drummers a lot, but with MIDI > BFD samples to cut down on engineering time/resources/locales.

Agreed, which is why we signed up in good faith to the migration, and even bought a few more expansions. No reason to suspect the current state of affairs. It is truly unique ime.

Yes, it’s the way things are these days, but there are plenty of best (better) practices out there. I’m still wondering -why- they went with with something this onerous.

Here’s the problem. InMusic didn’t “create” anything. They bought a distressed asset which had some name recognition and a good reputation for quality. Agreed they need to realize an ROI but the current DRM implementation to protect their future revenue stream is directly impacting mine.

I’m at a loss to understand how a company can apparently dismiss the original T&Cs for a rather significant investment made by a pre-existing customer and randomly disable the use of a legitimate purchase during paid sessions. The only way I can reliably use what I paid for -today- is with a pre-migration version pulled from archived drives. We’re looking into what it might take to preserve the use of our pre-InMusic investment, but that means EOL for anything BFD and any future expansions. So not what was hoped for.

The retainment of a few key core members was a great move if you truly want it an acquisition to succeed and it had to look promising to the existing user base. The massive dike plugging by Drew has been the only saving grace in this whole mess. But that’s hardly the preference for anybody.

The core product needs some work. I tried out the latest version this week and ran into multiple issues, none of which are repeatable on the pre-InMusic release. Two different PC builds, so could be something else, but just one more crack when there are much better things to be doing…

4 Likes

In that case you’ll forgive me if I think believe your opinion to be slightly ‘uninformed’ - and I remember you having that same opinion on the old forum without having tried the alternatives.

I have SD3 plus all the expansion - I also have most of the other major players

AD1/AD2 - modo drum - Kontakt etc etc

I’d strongly suggest you try SD3 - with some of the latest expansions packs - I think you’d be very pleasantly surprised.

Of course sonically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but your opinion isn’t really reliable if you haven’t actually tried the alternatives.

Ha! :rofl:

I don’t think I could justify spending so much money on drums, I have BFD3, Addictive Drums 2 and Slate 4. I only really use BFD3 but find AD2 has great variation and really good midi loops (which I rarely use).
I have just about every expansion kit I want from FXpansion and if I can’t get great sounding drums with everything I have then the problem is definitely me, and NOT! a lack of kits. :wink:

Steve

4 Likes