Help with recognition of DLed expansions in BFD License Manager

I would like to know if there is an easy way to get the BFD License Manager to recognize that a given update/expansion is not only authorized, but downloaded and installed as well. Let me be clear on this, because it’s quite easy to get the wrong idea from I just said: all of my expansions are currently recognized and usable in BFD3, but the BFD License Manager apparently doesn’t recognize them as such (though it does recognize them all as authorized). So far, I haven’t worried about this as literally everything works and nothing (except BFD3 itself, as far as I can tell) has been updated. I am hesitant to attempt to “make it right” by doing another download/setup (as BFD License Manager seems to be “suggesting”) because 1) it takes a long time and 2) I’m wary of “breaking what isn’t broken”, so to speak.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Yeah, I have the same issue as you and it’s happened a couple of times. Basically, I’ve been running fine, but LM shows that some of my expansions need updating, yet they are the latest versions. Something gets wacky after updating.

I posted before, asking if someone here knew on the Mac, where the file is that stores that info, so I could edit it, but never got a response. It should be as simple as changing flags to indicate that expansions are up to date.

You can just re-download the expansions and that will fix it, without screwing things up, but I’ve already done it once before and can’t be bothered to download and install all that again. It’s working and that’s all that matters.

When I’m not busy, I’ll try again to locate the file and see if I can edit it. If I do, I’ll post it here, but won’t help you if you’re on Windows, though the idea should be the same.

Ok. so I figured it out. Again, I’m on Mac, so this is how I navigate to the file. Not sure where it is on Windows, but editing the file should in theory be similar.

Go into users/Library/Preferences/com.bfddrums.bfdlicensemanager.plist

Back up this file first! so you can revert back if necessary.

Open the plist file with a hex editor. Each expansion will have these exact two lines, except that the 5 character/number serial prefix will be different for each expansion.That prefix has to be in Caps. See my attached pic that shows where these go. All I did was copy and paste the two lines and replace the prefix for each expansion. Very easy

<string>BFD Drums/BFDHP</string>

There is one caveat having to do with BFD and and Core Library. Take note how the second “string” line says BFD3 and not BFD30

<string>BFD Drums/BFD3</string>

Make sure to save the changes to the plist file and copy it to the Preferences folder. That’s it. You need to Restart your computer and when you open the LM it should show all your content as being up to date. Thanks for posting and making me figure this out. I’m sure it will happen again, so now I know how to fix it.

Thanks much! This is helpful (though I’m in Windows). I’ll copy your helpful picture so I can refer to it. It shouldn’t be too difficult.

1 Like

Cool man. Let me know how it goes.

Well, there’s no Library folder under users, so I’m still looking. Most likely, I’ll be able to use notepad, however, when I do find what I need to edit.

I’m hardly giving up, but it did occur to me that this information may have been written to the registry. If so, it gets progressively more treacherous depending on where it is (and, of course, I’d have to use regedit to get at it, though this in itself isn’t such a big deal and done similar stuff before there.)

I’m still looking at it and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for pointing in the right direction.

If not the registry, then maybe here?

C:\Users<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BFD3\

This was a great suggestion; thanks so much for keeping with me on this. I did find the Win10 file (called “BFD License Manager.txt”) in …\AppData\Roaming\BFD as you thought and edited/saved it with Notepad. It is apparently checking a path because it reverts back only finding the newer sounds I purchased. But, I’m pretty confident this is the right track. I’ll keep chipping away at it. I guess a simple way to fix this might be to move all the sounds from my F: drive to the BFD folder on my C: drive but I’d like to keep the sounds on F: away from my system drive. Alternatively, I could do the reverse with the sounds that are being recognized on C: as being DLed, but I assume that they would show up as not DLed as well at that point and that’s what I’m trying to remedy.

Again, thanks so much. If you think of anything else, I’m all ears.


1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t move my samples to the C: drive. Hopefully someone on the Windows side who might better know, will chime in at some point.

Oh yeah, totally agree. Moving the sounds to C: would be thoroughly counter-productive.
Thanks again!