Goodbye BFD after 11 years

So, after being forced to ‘upgrade’ to something that didn’t work, wasting weeks fiddling with a drum sampler instead of working on projects, getting info piecemeal from a variety of forums (still 0% of sod all on the official web site), having a new, unannounced authentication method imposed (at odds with the published system requirements) and an opaque ‘statement’ about future requirements to be online ‘sometimes’, here we are five weeks later and still no clarity. I don’t mind software f***ups if there is some management of expectation, information sharing and published plans to fix. This has been the worst migration I’ve seen. I work in IT and have managed business acquisitions, mergers and big software implementations and if I had delivered anything remotely as poor as this I’d be out of a job. I can’t wait for some indeterminate period of time to be able to use my DAW so I’ve bought another product. Hello Steven Slate Drums. Maybe not as great as BFD but at least it works.

5 Likes

You aint alone bro. I agree 100% here. Slate and Superior here for me

1 Like

It is a shame they can’t quite get it together here. I’d expect it to take a couple of months more to iron it all out.

2 Likes

Totally understandable. I’m in the minority of users who came back to BFD, after switching to Steven Slate for some years. It was the cheapest way to upgrade from BFD2 to 3 I had seen over the years, so I finally did it.

I really like the simplicity of the SSD5 GUI and workflow, but the cymbals just don’t really cut it and the shells are too mix-ready. And his limited expansions don’t really address those problems. There is a huge opportunity for Slate to create more highly detailed expansions that are on par with SD/BFD, but he seems to have left it in the dust, in favor of his other products.