For BFD4 It would be super swell to have better reverbs

It would be super swell to have better reverbs in BFD4

Iā€™m guessing all the FX in BFD4 will be a big step up from the current ones. Aside from the verbs and maximizer, the FX in BFD3 arenā€™t all that bad really. I think the saturation and clippers are pretty good and thereā€™s a wide selection to choose from.

1 Like

most of the fx are pretty good imo, i use them now and again because I mainly use the DAW fx and 3rd party purchases, but for someone without those BFD3ā€™s fx are really good.

1 Like

The effects in BFD3 are pretty good, they use good algorithms, maybe you are more used to a specific type of reverb or plugin, but the native effects are good.
Anyway, there are thousands of third party effects to choose from if something doesnā€™t satisfy, although Iā€™m sure if BFD4 arrives it will have a thorough overhaul of all its elementsā€¦ Now, I personally prefer that the developers focus on improving the software itself, based on what it is, a virtual drum kit, not a multi-effects and even I find it redundant to waste a lot of time offering a larger spectrum than what they currently have. What BFD really needs is to achieve consistency in the various recording methods used in the different libraries, so that issues such as volume, the ability to integrate with other elements, the acoustic treatment of the room, etc. have a more polished sound, without giving up the ā€œrawā€ character that BFD drums haveā€¦ But I do think that this aspect is something that Toontrack should imitate, because it is very easy to find in BFD huge differences with the volumes of different samples.

Another aspect that I would like them to work on, and I say this from the point of view of a simple listener, but the BFD drums, although for me, are the ones that have a more detailed and sampled sound, there is something that costs a lot to sound bombastic (without being outrageous) even with the semi-produced presets, when you listen to EZdrummer, Superior Drummer, SSD2, Mixwave, etcā€¦ there is something, I donā€™t know if itā€™s in the way the ambient mics are captured, that makes these drums sound ā€œrounderā€, ā€œwarmerā€ I think itā€™s partly due to those two main aspects; Ambient sound and productionā€¦ The final results with BFD are incredible, but it takes time to achieve a cohesive sound and this makes the plugin is not very welcome for more amateur people or looking for an acceptable result in minutes, which skews the market possibilities of the plugin, it is a very ā€œgeekyā€ plugin for ā€œsound nerdsā€ and I LOVE that, the power to have thousands of options, to integrate modeling with sampling to control the sound. ā€¦ but I repeat, they lose a good share of the market, they need more attractive presets, but I think there is also a problem to improve in the way the environment is captured to make it sound better.

Seriously, is there really work being done on a BFD4? Or is this just wishful thinking from our community? Iā€™m skeptical. It would be more reassuring if InMusic made some kind of statement about their intentions.

2 Likes

I look at it this way. BFD3 is amazing! If they went under today weā€™d still have the best drum application on the planet IMHO. Iā€™d use it as long as the OS would support it. I am hoping that InMusic treats it seriously. If theyā€™re just a bunch of suits I would be worried. You need to have the dream to keep this app alive.

1 Like

That all depends on whether they ceased the 90 day authorization scheme if they went under. Eventually, BFD3 will need to call home and if their servers are no more, then your shit out of luck.

1 Like

Personally, I do most of my processing during mixdown using 3rd party vsts; so fairly dry when tracking.
This is why I avoid most of the other drum apps. I originally came to BFD 1 because I could get a believable result. Over time Fxpansion made it into a killer app for me personally.

I understand that for many, having a mix ready track out of the box would be beneficial; going forward. I just prefer any fx to be an optional inclusion.

My reverb generally needs to sit in a sympathetic environment to the rest of the mix (special fx excepted)

1 Like

I can only guess you havenā€™t used any of the alternatives? Superior Drummer 3 is a quantum leap ahead of BFD3. I used BFDs 1, 2 and 3 for a long time and spent a lot of money on expansion kits , but the chronic licensing problems finished it for me two years ago. Thatā€™s just not acceptable in a professional studio. I moved to SD3 and wish Iā€™d done it much earlier. Itā€™s more accessible, more stable, and sounds better. S www.redtapemusic.net

1 Like

Glad you like it, I canā€™t agree on the ā€˜sounding better thingā€™, not at all. Sorry you had licensing issues, sucks, personally, licensing issues do nothing for sound, nothing comes close to BFD3 on that front. Each to their own tho, enjoy SD3.

I guess I equated the chronic failure to fix the licensing problems as a measure of how willing/ able In Music were to support BFD and its future development.
Under the previous ownership BFD had no such difficulties at all and ran much more smoothly.
Sound is, of course, a much more subjective issue!
S

1 Like