Does BFD Player support loading BFD libraries?

I downloaded BFD 3 player and really liked it.
I thought it’s a good idea to “upgrade” it to BFD 3

But after buying BFD 3, I feel the player version much more usable.
In deed the player missing lots of configurations that available on BFD3, but still, the overall experience in BFD player is much better in my experience.

So, I just thought maybe it’s possible to use the BFD3 kits/samples in BFD player…
I tried to “load” the BFD3 library as BFD 3 player ,without luck.

What do you think ?

Thanks!

There is supposedly future integration in the works between the Player and older expansions, but not yet.

1 Like

Not yet, but this is something that is highly desirable.

4 Likes

Highly desirable is a lot of an understatement for me. Can’t happen soon enough.

Then BFD 4 (with VST 3). We all live in hope?

Hello, dear users
It’s frustrating to have invested money in BFD3 a few years ago and today not be able to work in Pro Tools because they haven’t done a simple update. All the other virtual instruments are already native AAX in Pro Tools, except BFD3. Which I praised so much for its sound quality. Today I’m forced to open Pro Tools with Rosseta 2, which means I can’t use the performance of the Apple Silicon M1 processor, and I’m facing performance problems because I have sessions with several virtual instruments, and with Rosseta, they all get heavy, consuming processing. They’ve made this native AAX BFD Player, with ridiculous sound and no ability to add BFD3 libraries! Since they were able to make the BFD Player AAX Apple Silicon, why didn’t they release a simple update for the BFD Player AAX Native Apple Silicon? And that 90-day authorization… revolting!!! Just use Ilok! If you can’t do it, imitate those who can! SHAME!

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

What about about future integration of actual BFD player libraries into BFD3 or 4?
Some interesting player libraries out there at good prices.

Would it be worthly to invest now in those player libraries (and meanwhile use them on the player) to later make the integration into the full BFD workflow?

The BFD Player libraries are just slimmed down versions of already existing BFD3 libraries. You don’t get all of the shells and cymbals… I’m not certain if there is a reduction in articulations as well? I bought the BFD3 Dark Farm expansion on sale for $30, the same price as one of the Player expansions. With all of the extra shells and cymbals, I was able to create 6 different kits with that one expansion and can use any combination of the I think, 9 ambient channels. To me, it makes more sense to have the original BFD3 expansions.

I used to say that Modern Retro was the best, bang-for-buck expansion with how many kit pieces you get, but Dark Farm takes that title now and is clearly the best-sounding expansion to-date. Dark Farm is the only expansion you need honestly.

1 Like

Thank you for your insights, Fender Bender.

What about https://www.jrrshop.com/bfd-player-jazz-sticks and https://www.jrrshop.com/bfd-player-jazz-brushes ?
If you are correct these must be part of what libraries, Jazz Noir? How do a potential customer may find a table or an unified webpage with this information? Appreciated.

Uh Oh Just read exactly that at the item description pages. Jazz Noir is their BFD Player libraries’ origin.

Interesting business model then. Now BFD Player makes much more sense to me: It allows better accessibility to newcomers. It is not just a development “change of lanes” path, if it ever is…

Now they need to better divulge this information and put out an upgrade plan for those willing to upgrade from Player libraries.
Well done BFD, indeed. This ensures long term growth and stability.

I do think it’s a good idea on their part. BFD Player is what obviously is fresh and attracting new users atm, so creating lite versions of already existing expansions was an easier and smart way to quickly expand on the Player’s sound library potential.

An upgrade path is a good idea. It will be interesting to see what the future integration between Player, BFD4 and expansions will be like.

Agree. We’ll - people in this forum - be attentive for sure.

What I’d like to have as a potential is the choice to buy some piece of that Alexis Drum physical kit Alesis Nitro Max Kit | Setup with BFD Player : Alesis

Personally usually do staggered purchases and would be very nice to have a drum or two nearby at my home studio to kick or caress and all linked to my precious :innocent: and long cared BFD libraries.
However at the full Kit’s price, as I understand now sells full, it would be impossible for me to budget such, Hope Alexis expands those choices as well.

I’m sure a few of the very cheap eKits can work ok with BFD. I really want one so bad, but my space and budget is kinda tight right now. I’m so tired of programming stuff with a MIDI controller and mouse. Pre-made grooves can work well for certain situations, but for my own tracks, I know how the groove and feel should be, so programming from scratch tends to be quicker in the long run.

Where are you located?..Is your living setup House or Apartment type…
This is one of the most important when considering E-Drums as E-Kits do have acoustical Noise and the pissed off neighbor posts are in quite a few if not all of the Forums.

Electronic Kits have come a long ways just in the past Decade.Rolands Patent expired in 2016 and that’s why nearly every kit on the market is Mesh.Before that Rubber…Mylar…or a Law Suit.
There are the Beginner/Entry level Kits that have an attractive price point these days…there are some things to watch out for…actually alot…If you want/need more recommendations I would check out the Drum Forums.I have been at alesisDRUMMER…Forever.
The Beginner/Entry level kits are typically single zone as is the Nitro max above , which is also the 3RD Generation of the Nitro.This Kit is made up of handed down surplus parts like the Rack being of Non Standard tubing size…cymbals 10 years +…Module is New and BFD…Tom design is new but the old Horizontal L-rod mounting.
Drum modules have become increasing more advanced every year…Triggers are still based on a 50 cent Piezo and a membrane switch (Dual/Triple Zone).
You can DIY a trigger with a Paper Plate (or anything else)…attach a Piezo and a 1/4" Jack.

If you are find yourself requiring a small footprint…look into a Multipad…
I have built/fabricated a number of these Micro/Mini Kits in many configurations.
I am building one now using STRIKE Multipad and components in a 20" rack System.

There are also some super compact setups…out there

or if you have access to a 3D Printer…you can 3D print an E-Kit…Ryo Kosaka has some very good designs

I am sure if you have been using BFD for a number of years you remember John Emrich.
He went on to do the NFUZD Audi Inspire E-Kit and for the past few years was at Alesis until he resigned last November.
While he was at FXpansion He also setup a small kit using a Multipad…mainly the Yamaha DTX-12.which has 12 Velocity sensitive Pads and built like a Tank
There was a MIDI Map and everything needed to replicate this setup in the Forum…

Check Out the Video

EDIT: 4/19

Here is a Portable Kit with a lot of Potential for DAW use…It won’t break the Bank at $200 US.
LEKATO CPD-1000.
Also Branded as Artist CDP1000 A7 in some other Countries
It is a Heavy Duty Tabletop Version but fit’s on a snare type stand.
It appears to have enough room in the center of the metal frame to be drill/tapped for a standard Module mount/Stand
It actually has very good reviews especially for the build/construction.
I see some commenting throughout Reviews/youtube videos etc they have gigged with it.

Silicone Triggers/mesh Snare are Piezo based so Velocity/Dynamics…Triggers look to be rubber isolated and have rebound so not hitting whacking a piece of plastic and the acoustic noise associated with it.
I don’t see/hear cross talk which is common for triggers being so close or sharing the same mount…module is dead center front…all on a steel frame.
The small pedals for HH and Kick come with a number of beginner kit’s or those with a lower price point and are always not as good…however this module supports external triggers as the Trigger Harness is 1/4"…not a proprietary one… so they can be upgraded.
Kick pedal looks to be switch type but I see Piezo types being used in Videos so the modules firmware must support both trigger types.
The small pedals won’t transmit vibration as much through the floor as a Full size would (Apartment)…module has the required adjustments… Threshold,sensitivity,Crosstalk,Re-Trigger…Rim adjust…also has USB MIDI.
I couldn’t find a manual for the Lekato…I did find one for the Artist CDP1000…same exact Model Number should be the same manual.There is a 2nd crash cymbal input.
Youtube Video…includes using EZDrummer

2 Likes