Crashing with certain 8 Bit Kit samples - updated - now with workaround for the BUG

perfect

I don’t have the percussion set but I have all the other ones

this doesn’t explain the crash in the sonic reality kits - do you have them installed ?

EDIT - those seem to have a invalid (original dev) filepath in the BFDinfo.xml - I’ll hack around and see if I can get them to work

I think I’ve tracked down the issue with the various SR kits - just working out the fix now

some sloppy work by SR in this instance:

…and we are waiting for Drew to fix all the broken files - as they are a timebomb waiting to happen if you use any of those expansion packs. I’d suggest you update if you have them.

Shouldn’t make a difference. It’ll be something else other than the info_path.

I’m grabbing them now to check them out.

already fixed - check the other thread

This is fixed in the latest payload for 8 Bit Kit now. I’ll look at other packs and fix those as I can, I’ll post on the forum when I have.

just to be clear - are you suggesting that customers need to redownload the entire expansion pack and reinstall to fix this ? - bearing in mind that the latest ‘payload’ will be the compressed ‘flac’ version and may break backwards compatibility for those that care.

affected kit pieces are:

Percussion:

• Ashiko Toms - Tom Floor (hit)
  • Ashiko Toms - Tom Hi (hit)
  • Ashiko Toms - Tom Mid (hit)
  • Djembe Toms - Tom Floor (hit)
  • Djembe Toms - Tom Hi (hit)
  • Djembe Toms - Tom Mid (hit)
  • Household - Trash Can BD Beater (hit)
  • Household - Trash Can Chains (hit)
  • Misc - Rain Stick (hit)
  • Misc - Snare Tamb Carrol Sound (ss)
  • Misc - Triangle Bronze (alt)

JEX:

• JEX XDrums - Snare 5x14 SuperSens B (ss)
  • JEX XDrums - Snare 5x14 SuperSens S (ss)

Jazz And Funk:

• JNF Ludwig - Snare 5x14 Acrolite S (ss) - note: this articulation doesn’t exist on my system ?
  • JNF Ludwig - Snare 5x14 SuperSens B (ss)
  • JNF Ludwig - Snare 5x14 SuperSens S (ss)
  • JNF Zildjian - HiHat 14 Old B (halfs)

Eldorado:

• DW - Snare1 (drag)
  • Extras - Snare1 (rim)

Deluxe:

• DLX VistaLite - Kick 22 Felt (hit)
  • DLX Zildjian - Hihat 14 Hybrid (pedal)

XFL:

• XFL Paise - Hihat1 15 SndEdge (threqt)

8 Bit Kit:

• yet to get a complete list from Drew but 808/909 short snare had issues - as did the claps

hopefully Drew can give us a full list as the one I’ve compiled above may not be complete

instead of downloading and reinstalling everthing you may find it easier to do the ‘renaming’ workaround as described above.

Just to reiterate - if you use any of those sounds and trigger the articulation at the correct velocity (which might be ALL velocities) then BFD3 will behave unpredictably. Depending on how the articulation has been loaded it’s likely to cause an immediate crash.

1 Like

Hey arthurcclarke,
thank you for your time and investigating this nasty bug.

Your workaround didn’t work for me (8 Bit Kit-Library). I deleted the BFDArticTweaks-files in both locations (audio-folder and in [user]\AppData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3\LoundnessCache) and BFD3.4 regenerated the files with the wrong “-inf” values. I must re-download the whole library. Re-download solves the problem.

By the way: Where does BFD get the wrong values ​​from when regenerating the BFDArticTweaks-files?

@BFD_Drew:
Thank you for fixing the 8 Bit Kit-Library. I am eagerly waiting for the fix in the Percussion- and Jazz n Funk library :slight_smile:

I didn’t say to delete anything in either location ?

I said:

This is in the \appdata folder ONLY
DO NOT TOUCH the one in the \data folder

if you delete in the one in the \data folder it will autogenerate a faulty one AND autogenerate a faulty one in \appdata

I couldn’t have been any more clear ?

@arthurcclarke
I didn’t want to attack you. Your instructions were clear.
Deleting the files was my last attempt.

@BFD_Drew
Today I checked an old backup:
The audio folders of the problematic kit pieces didn’t have bfdartictweaks files. My bfd3 library files are from the old bfd2 times, installed from the boxed DVDs. When I swapped computers, I only copied the entire library folder to the new computer and reactivated the libraries. For sounds that I haven’t used so far, bfd3 has never written bfdartictweaks files to the audio / data folder. Therefore, it was not noticed that bfd3 writes bfdartictweaks files with wrong values for some kit pieces (bfd3 shows „updating“ in the mixer channel on the first load in bfd3). Since my problematic pieces in the audio / data folder never had bfdartictweaks files that I can copy (like arthur suggested), I am dependent on your fixed libraries.

What surprises me: I’m sure that I used some problematic kit pieces under bfd 3.0-3.3 without any problems, which lead to problems under 3.4 (8 bit presets). Unfortunately I don’t have any fxpansion version installed anymore to be able to check that. Did bfd 3.0-3.3 handle the -inf values differently?

yes

it’s still easy to fix though

don’t delete - it will just make the problem reoccur as BFD will just rewrite the corrupted files.

what kit pieces are you having problem with ?

The following kit pieces have problems because I never used the kit piece before and there was no bfdartictweaks file on the DVDs. Now I need the sounds, loaded the kit pieces and BFD 3.4 wrote the faulty bfdartictweaks files.
After redownloading the library the problem persists (download package on the InMusic server has faulty bfdartictweaks files, too): Level meter in the mixer goes to the max, no sound, only one loud click when triggering the kit piece.

BFD Percussion:

• Household - Trash Can BD Beater
  • Household - Trash Can Chains
  • Misc: Rain Stick
  • Misc: Snare Tamb Carrol Sound (only „Side Stick“ articulation)
  • Misc: Triangle Bronze (only „Alternate“ articulation)

ok

you need to deal with one kit piece at once - let’s start with Household - Trash Can BD Beater (PICK JUST ONE ARTICULATION)

1. Close BFD

2. open BOTH the folders that contain the BFDArticTweaks.xml files in

• user\AppData\Roaming\BFD Drums\BFD3\LoundnessCache
    AND
  • \data\blahblah
    leave them open and DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING
  1. start BFD and attempt to load the kitpiece and play the articulation BFD should crash

2. check both folders - the xml should be present in both

3. rename BFDArticTweaks.xml to BFDArticTweaks.old ONLY in the \AppData folder DO NOT touch the one in \data

4. restart BFD and try loading/playing the sound again.

HOPEFULLY (?) it should be fine - and BFD will NOT recreate the xml file in the /appdata folder

rinse/repeat for all broken articulations

lemme know

Thank you very much for your help!

Tried it with PERC Household - Trash Can BD Beater (Hit articulation):

• Loaded the sound and played: Only one loud click and level meter goes to max (level meter from kick, snare and Trash Can: Why maxed the level meter from kick and snare also? Kick and snare slots are empty.)
  • Closed DAW
  • Renamed bfdartictweaks.xml only in AppData to bfdartictweaks.old

→ Restarted my DAW, loaded BFD and the Trash Can-Sound: Sound plays ok and no rewrite of the bfdartictweaks file in AppData.

Hurray! It works :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

excellent - thanks for the update -

you need to do that to all the broken articulations

yep - if BFD doesn’t crash it tries to play the sound but can’t. Hence the strange click/meter thing

I described it as:

All faulty kit pieces repaired.
Thank you again, Arthur.

@BFD_Drew:
Jazz n Funk-Sound „Snare 5x14 SuperSense B“ has in [Sample drive, Library folder]\data\JNF Ludwig\Snare 5x14 Super Sense B\SS\BFDartictweaks.xml some curious entries: loudness=„-1.#INF“.
BFD plays the sound ok but replaced the value in the AppData LoudnessCache file with „-1“.

as always with BFD - don’t hold your breath for any fixes :slight_smile:

anybody holding their breath waiting for this to be fixed.

if they can’t get this right why does anything thing they can fix anything else ?

Was there ever an update on this?
I’m wrestling with this issue at the moment. Tried the renaming trick and it stops BFD from crashing, but the offending articulation no longer plays at all. The room sound still triggers but the direct mic doesn’t.

nope - as predicted

if you are having problems getting the articulation to play after doing this then I’m guessing you’ve probably done one of the steps incorrectly. You should probably roll back your changes and give it another go.