BFD3 making me pull my hair out

Cool, feel free to send me a private message any time too.

I don’t know if this will help but I too have Andy Johns drums as well as many others. My problem came when trying to launch BFD3 and it would ask for LM to register drums. As soon as the licensing manager would authorize my drums, the same window would stay up asking me to authorize and I couldn’t get BFD3 to run. I ran into a separate issue with some bad audio drivers that made me re-install Windows 11 which meant that I had to re-install all of my programs. Anyway when I re-installed BFD3, everything worked perfectly. The preset kits load (which they didn’t before) and the kits load. All the expansion packs are there as well. I think maybe trying to uninstall and delete any folders that have anything to do with BFD on your computer may help. Anyway, I hope this helps

1 Like

Ok, thank for the support.

While it took a while I have also had more support from InMusic, who have given me a number to call should I need to go through it with them.

I have decided to have a cleanout and I uninstalled all my BFD stuff and started from scratch.

I have now installed the BFD3 software and the stock BFD3 sounds (Sound great) and they work fine.
It seems the issue is the Licence manager is glitchy. It’s very slow (As is the online registry on the account there, which takes days for anything there to show up, adding to the confusion). Add that with people rushing through with something that’s usually straight forward and I am not surprised there are a few issues for some.

You are instructed to download from there but the download does not then install the data, you have to do this by pressing the “play” icon that is supposed to appear when the data has downloaded so it can then be installed. But the play icon does not always appear after the download and it just hangs after downloading. It seems you can get past this by going to the root installation folder after the download and opening the installation directly and thus bypassing the play icon. For my expansion pack when this happened I just closed down the license manager and reopened it. When I did this it started to rescan the downloaded files and then when it finished, the play icon did appear and I was able to install it that way.

It is looking like more of a Licence manager bug than the BFD3 itself.

That said, more to go! so fingers crossed I manage those as well.

If the play icon doesn’t show up, that usually means the download did not finish. This could be due to a local networking thing, and License Manager sometimes hangs in such a situation - solution is to restart License Manager, and allow it to resume downloading.

If the “Play” button in the LM doesn’t work, you just go to where your BFD3 downloads are and double-click the installers from there. This is assuming the downloads are completed to begin with.

Yep. And no matter how many times I ask about it I get no response. Their website STILL says that an internet connection is still only needed for product download. Nothing about having to have my DAW online to keep authorised.

1 Like

If youre in the UK, the official complaints procedure will get you a refund if you bought before the inMusic sale.

Got my refund today.

1 Like

1 Like

Only for the update and if anyone wants any help dealing with this mess, probably only in the UK as those are the laws I know.

Other than that, BFD here has been refunded in full, and uninstalled, and my time here is done :slight_smile:

Sweet relief :smiley:

I purchased BFD2 many years back but bought BFD3 a month or so back. So I don’t think that applies to me.

It seems to be working for me now, though getting some audio drops, but I think that’s due to me needing to update an old PC as im also getting it with Kontakt after updating to Cubase 12 also. It a shame the file BFDLACtool cant be found when I clock on it, as I could use some ram assistance from it.

Overall I am not noticing a big improvement from BFD2 other than a massive-sized window and so far some extra tricks that do not seem to offer much. But I am still getting decent sounds out of it, I will stick with it for the time being until I have to jump to another.

1 Like

The biggest improvement from BFD2 to 3 are the samples and it’s a huge improvement really. More usable OOTB imo. The AMG settings and Kit Modeling page are also very useful. The on-board FX are slightly better in some instances. Routing outputs to DAW… I don’t believe BFD2 had this capability? I do remember BFD2 audio Export was not working for me back then. The Groove editor is better too. LM/authorization scheme aside, BFD3 is a far superior product.

2 Likes

I recall the biggest improvement being the new audio engine, which supports BFDLAC. You’re not going to hear the engine itself, but BFDLAC enables far larger sample sets than you could have with wav. I think they said Retro was an example which, due to the length of the tails, would have been impractical with wav.

2 Likes

Excellent point. I totally forgot about that one. It’s easy to forget the improvements under the hood, but that is a pretty big one along with the BFDLAC tool to convert older expansions.

Hi,

Yes the samples I have heard are pretty good and I am quite pleased with free horsepower samples I chose.
I have never really used the effects in BFD as I usually route the samples out into channels within Cubase and mix from there, I always did this in BFD2. But using internal effects might be something I will try at some point.