BFD3 crashing Cubase upon project close

I’m having this long standing problem with the latest version of BFD3:

Whenever I close a project containing BFD3, it crashes Cubase. This happened in Cubase 12 and 13. I’ve tried deactivating the track and the plugin, but to no avail.

Anyone know any other potential solutions to this?

1 Like

I think you posted on the BFD FB page about this. I suggested trashing the BFD Prefs file and restarting your computer. There was some type of bug that was causing crashes with long entries in the prefs file. I think this was supposed to be fixed with the latest build, but I still ran into this problem using the latest build. I trashed my prefs file and the crashes stopped.

I deleted the user prefs file, however the crashes persist. I don’t know if I’m doing it right or deleting the correct file, however.

Ok. It might not work in everyone’s case with crashes, but that’s what I did and it worked for me.

Hello. Where can I find that file that needs to be deleted? I can’t find it and in case a crash happens, I would like to apply this solution.

Greetings!

For macOS… users/Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/BFD3_user_preferences.pref

Not sure about Windows.

Alternatively, you can just try resetting the preferences inside BFD3 itself.

1 Like

The issue of BFD3 crashing Cubase upon project closure is a known issue that has been reported by several users. While there is no definitive fix, there are a few potential solutions you can try to resolve the problem:

1. Update BFD3 to the latest version: Ensure you’re running the latest version of BFD3, as it may include bug fixes that address this specific issue. Check the FXpansion website for the latest updates.

2. Rescan VST Plugins: Perform a rescan of VST plugins within Cubase. This can sometimes resolve compatibility issues between plugins and Cubase. Go to Devices > Plugin Manager > Rescan Plugins .

3. Remove BFD3 Preferences: Deleting BFD3’s preferences can sometimes reset the plugin and potentially fix the crashing issue. Locate the BFD3 preferences folder and delete the files within it. The exact location of the preferences folder may vary depending on your operating system.

4. Reinstall BFD3: If the issue persists, consider uninstalling and reinstalling BFD3 completely. This can sometimes resolve underlying installation issues that may be causing the crashes.

5. Avoid Editing BFD3 Settings While Project is Closing: Try avoiding making any edits or changes to BFD3 settings while closing the project. This may help prevent Cubase from encountering issues while processing the plugin’s state.

If none of these solutions resolve the issue, it’s recommended to contact FXpansion, the developers of BFD3, for further assistance. They may have additional insights or workarounds specific to this problem.