BFD Expansion Inventory Project

I started a little project a while back but never finished it. I created a spreadsheet to inventory all the BFD Expansions since it’s kind of hard to figure exactly what’s in what packs sometimes.
So I thought I’d post the file here, as it currently exists, and people could look it over and if they felt like helping out, could send me things to add until it was totally completed and anyone could use it to look up the details of any expansion.
If you open the file, you’ll see why it became quite a project: each pack can have very different sets of drums, cymbals, mics, grooves, kits, and presets and just setting up columns and organizing everything became difficult. It seemed like each expansion I added I had to add new columns and rows and change formatting to accommodate descriptions.

So the headers, both horizontal and vertical, are split so you can scroll freely and keep track of what’s in each cell. I went alphabetically starting with Cocktail and made it as far as Jazz Noir. I was getting info from the FXpansion site, the manual, or wherever I could find info that was reliable.
I think it’s best if I keep the master copy, rather than open it up to editing, since reconciling different versions simultaneously could be a nightmare, so if you would like to contribute just make a copy and add your info and send it to me, or send me a link, and I can add your contribution. Or even if you just want to past something into a text file to send, that’s fine too.

Maybe no one else is interested in this, but I’ve seen plenty of questions about pack contents that I thought at least some people might find this useful.

6 Likes

That looks pretty cool, can I ping you some screen shots of the folders I have for my expansions in an effort to save time, it’s the quickest way I can think of doing it from my side?

1 Like

Sure. Whatever you want I’ll gladly take.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi SF_Green,

Nice work. Thanks for doing this.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

1 Like

Nice idea Bud. Do you have plans to add any third-party expansion devs like Sonic Reality. Platinum Samples, or Chocolate Audio?

1 Like

I can. @deangersmith sent me some info on the Vinnie Appice and Neil Peart kits, and I’ve got several myself. The ones I have to piece together myself take even longer than ones I could cut and paste from web and manual descriptions so it might take a while.
Also, I think I might split the snare packs off into a separate tab, since they won’t fit into the current format, which was set up to take info on kits. Squeezing in the Decatoms and Taiko convinced me of that.

Also, I think the 8 Bit kit will be a while and will definitely be the bottom row so I can squeeze a lot into cells for kicks and snares. There are 16 pages of descriptions in the manual for the 8 Bit Kit.

1 Like

Glad to help, will do some more as and when I can.

1 Like

Here’s what I have from Drum Drops, Platinum, SR, and Chocolate

I’ll get to them eventually. Just posting so people don’t need to send me those as screen captures, unless you want to some legwork and send any of those to me in a text file or a spreadsheet so I can just cut and paste.

3 Likes

What the… Just the other day, I sat down and did all that for JnF (probably my next expansion when the time comes) copying the info from the online manual, so that I would know exactly what pieces are in there, and easily filter/search by cymbal dimensions, or stick/brush/mallet, or whatever. I thought I should also include an articulations column so that I could also use that as a filter too, but it was too much for a quick and dirty first pass. (To substitute a ride that has a separate bow and edge hit with another one that also has both a bow and an edge hit for example).

Great job! Do you want me to send you an xlsx file, or do you just prefer a text dump?

1 Like

The XL file would be great if you have that. otherwise text would be OK.
Thanks

1 Like

JnF.zip (3.8 KB)
Have a look here. I saved as xls from OpenOffice Calc ods, I don’t know if it will still work.

1 Like

Thanks - looks good. That’s going to be tough squeezing all that in!

1 Like

It will take some refactoring, but it will fit. There are a lot of duplicate entries, because I also list stick, mallets, rods, hands, rod (no snares) where applicable. Essentially it is 3 complete drum shells, 9 snares, 3 bonus kicks, 5 rides, 4 splashes, 5 chinas, 7 crashes and 3 hihats.

1 Like

thank you very much!

1 Like