All products deauthorized after less than two weeks, way less than 90 days

the license manager displays a column labeled “Recheck in” so many days, typically showing something between 80-90 which i understood to be a status indicator for -making sure it WORKS when i need it-.

today, everything de-authorized despite checking within the last 10 days (confirming “recheck in” = 81 days") and of course, no internet on location. had to drive into town to get “re-authorized”.

what don’t i understand?

or should i change the topic to “What is the Point of “Recheck in” xx days?”

1 Like

It’s called ‘Corporate greed and paranoia’, it’s a form of something else known as ‘psychological projection’… you know those people that accuse everyone else of doing what they do?.. it’s the same thing.

2 Likes

“What is the Purpose of “Recheck in” xx days?”

should’ve been more specific in the title. not a question of company policy, but on how to actually use this product in a meaningful way. title changed to be more specific.

“All products de-authorized after less than two weeks, way less than 90 days.”

my understanding is;

1. authorization is good for 90 days
  2. the license manager lists your current authorization status in the license manager.
  3. the status is displayed in the “Recheck in xx days” column
  4. running the license manager will update your authorization status
  5. i made a point to -confirm- status which at the time displayed “Recheck in 81 days”
  6. less than 2 weeks later, -all products were de-authorized-

what am i missing? (and ya, submitted a ticket…)

1 Like

It may also be, the reaction when someone has been hurt several times, so goes into full ‘protection mode’, many times hurting his/her possibilities and of those who could interact with, if such would not be the case…

“Protection mode is triggered by our survival instinct in response to a perceived threat. In modern times, our survival instinct reacts to perceived psychological and social threats, not just physical threats. When in protection mode, we disconnect ourselves from our inner and outer lives.”
https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1987-22927-001

I’ve been pondering this issue for a while (mine also refuses to stick to the 90 day promise and my studio is offline which makes the whole thing a major PITA, even when it plays ball).

Would a fair compromise be to hold the price of BFD in a trust, to be automatically returned to the customer every time the product is deauthorised and becomes unusable and therefore worthless?

I think the main issue is the blurring of the distinction between between buying and owning a product and the subscription service model. Many people are now rejecting the subscription based model. People like to buy and own their software. Having to constantly reauthorise is not the same as owning it though, and it feels like you are being pulled into a subscription model and a product which you bought but which you no longer get to own. This is troubling when the product is such a long term investment … like a huge drum library purchased over many years.

1 Like