Last spring I simply updated BFD3. It has not functioned since. I’ve run License Manager numerous times – BFD3 and Horsepower are authorized (green) and today I newly installed Horsepower to a new storage drive.
I am NOT a wizard about how these software packages work - I trust them to self-install properly, and they do. But when I hit such a block as this I’m stumped.
I’ve had 15 years of success using Digital Performer and my 8 various digital instruments - including BFD - but this pothole is wicked.
Spectrasonics is so fantastic regarding updating / upgrading. Never a single hiccup.
I LOVE BFD - I started with the first iteration and have upgraded everytime. I miss it so much.
What should I do?
Any instructions need to be -ultra- clear and simple re terminology, etc.
Well, yeah, there are a whole class of issues that some people have run into simply because of the installation variables that different expansions have used over the years. The whole thing where you can install BFD2 and BFD3 presets for an expansion causes unnecessary problems.
I think this is about the best I’ve been able to explain it, so far. It’s not like a write-up, which I don’t have time to do. But, if you take it step by step, you’ll at least have BFD set up like one that doesn’t have issues.
Not that I’m making any guarantees. I’m sure there are variations I haven’t accounted for. I think there’s some Internet connectivity/access issues that people are running into that I just don’t have. But, at least with this some of the complications will have been weeded out, and it might all work.
Well you at least need to explain in more detail what is happening. If you haven’t updated the LM since last spring, then that’s a good place to start. You should be on LM 220.127.116.11. Once installed, you can download the latest BFD3 build and your expansions from there… however, users were saying that the LM gets overwritten after updating the BFD3 app to LM 18.104.22.168. So if it does that, then just re-install the newer version.
Yeah, you first have to start with a correct BFD directory and only direct the software to go there. But before anything get the latest updates with license manager and version of the BFD application. After installing the newest version of License manager you can use that to download and then install from that, all your expansion packs, application and Go from there. Install to the correct, new directory “ONLY”.
You certainly shouldn’t be dead in the water for a year. That is unacceptable. If you don’t get resolved via tips on the forum, please PM me and we’ll sort out some sort of remote session where I can log into your computer and get you up and running.
Thank you everyone for responding ! I feel there’s hope.
First: I am indeed using License Manager LM 22.214.171.124
Second: Whether I run BFD as a stand-alone, or instantiate it into Digital Performer this appears:
The following paths could not be found:
@jadkins That looks like a mess. I think I would start by removing all content locations and starting over from scratch. Most of those paths look unnecessary. See my locations. All content I’ve added is on one drive and in one parent folder, “BFD”. You don’t need to add any user/Documents locations… those are automatically scanned. This has been working flawless for me.
@jadkins No, I just mean delete the content paths with those check boxes. It says, “Remove all content paths”. It just removes them from the database, doesn’t actually delete them where their locations are. Close BFD3
I don’t think you need to re-download your libraries. Just make a parent folder on the new drive. Call it BFD, then copy the folders that have your expansions in them to that folder. You only have BFD3 Core library and Horsepower? So you’d copy, Core Library and Horsepower folders.
Open BFD3 prefs again, search folder and navigate to the parent folder you copied the libraries to.
Right, I think I know what has happened here. At some point in the past you’ve scanned your entire OS drive - not a 100% unreasonable thing to do really - and the BFD content scanner has added in some content from a DOWNLOADED INSTALLER FOLDER, and then naturally you’ve deleted that installer folder once you’ve installed… and now the content is missing.
That one is a simple fix - remove those data-paths from the list of content locations, and the error will stop appearing.
Looks like something has gone wrong with the installation. Please clear out all of the BFD software paths on your machine and reinstall. They can be found here:
Mac HD/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Mac HD/Library/Application Support/BFD Drums/BFD3/
Make sure you also delete the audio unit from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
and the VST from here: Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
Re-install. Re-authorize. Should be good to go from there. You almost certainly will need to re-add your expansion packs to the content locations panel.