It's not all bad

Have you figured out how to save the drum maps in Cubase satisfactorily?

Perhaps this is not so easy for users of other DAWs?

An interesting area. I made the mistake of buying Modo Drums from IK. Spent ages creating a drum map to covert from BFD to GM and decided I did not like the sound of Modo Drum and was fed up at the time wasted.

No - It’s just saved with the cubase project.

What happens when you start a new project?

Load up bfd and create a new drum map from instrument.

2 Likes

Yep, really easy. We’re lucky with Cubase in this regard.

2 Likes

Isn’t it easier to have a saved one and load it? Maybe not I really haven’t thought about it.

Nah. It’s just that you must first decide on the kit, no matter how wild it is. 10 toms? No problem. 6 cymbals with 3 zones each? No problem. You press get keymap from instrument and you’re done.

Edit: You don’t have to create a drum-map on top of that. It is enough that you assigned the articulations to keys from within BFD’s keymap page. :wink:

2 Likes

silhouette

It’s not for everyone - and I’m a novices apprentice.

I’ve always found that my naming conventions are as follows.

eg.

If the song I’m writing is called “Fantastic BFD Drums”

Then I always try to include, at the beginning either “Drum Map” “Kit” “Preset”.

So for eg. Drum Map - Fantastic BFD Drums. Kit - Fantastic BFD Drums. etc.

But in general in cubase BFD is the same map as per program and not as per expansion pack as is the case with SD.

Neil

ggmanestraki

You probably explained it better than I could.

Neil

You are right it is bloody quick. There is no point saving drum maps. Thank you for that. I don’t know why this has escaped me?

1 Like

silhouette

Steep learning curve - and we’re all still learning.

This, I think, however is only good for cubase.

Neil

EDIT

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I use other DAWs as well as cubase, but I’m not as familiar with reason or ableton in this respect.

And to think that I thought using an Atari with a Tascam Portastudio 144 was complicated.

2 Likes

They were the good days.

Still have my Atari - amongst all the other junk - Alesis sr16 - dm5.

I still have - although it doesn’t work now - an old Boss Dr. Rhythm beat machine DR110. Got that brand new when it came out.

How times have changed. For the better or worse?

It’s all done for us now.

Neil

Both. And neither.

:smiley:

1 Like

Totally agree

I have all SD3 packs and none sound like a Real drum in a room.
It sounds great but too perfect and toms and snare lack that punchness you ll find in the Real world.
Snares are more raw, i like this.
BFD is the post realistic to my ears and plays really well with my Roland TD30 (but Hi Hat playing is better on SD3)

I save drum maps in Cubase with no problem
Whatever’s in the map loaded during instantiation will show up as a drum map if you instantiate it as an Instrument Track; all of the name unfortunately, so it’s the whole name of the kit piece and then ‘Snare: Hit’ and so forth. Also unfortunately is the fact that this map cannot be edited at all. However we can just save it and reload it, this is an editable map.

One more unfortunately, Cubase does not get what a MIDI port is for the drum map setup. It wants to connect to a channel; it is confusing port with channel, so I tell it the VE Pro port number and set channel in inspector and in the VE Pro channel to Any (or All) to work around this.

1 Like

There is definitely a point to saving the thing.
In Key Editor, Cubase, the literal names of articulations show next to the note in the whatchamacallit, from the Drum Map selected in Inspector. Best to create short af names because this display is far from ideal.
Or in Drum Editor the column to the left will have the literal names, eg., the name of a cymbal as I’ve named it, not ‘Cymbal 1’.

there is no “in general”, BFD will fill note slots ad hoc as it sees availability, and of course mindlessly.
If all one uses is kits as supplied by ‘the factory’ it may not be all that meaningful, but I don’t do that, I create a custom kit and have to pay attention. That said, I don’t save MIDI maps in BFD3, these are saved in the project. It’s good for a start building the next kit consistent in mapping with ‘this one’, obviously.

1 Like

Everything follows the keymap when it comes to midi. The default keymap aims to get as many drums into the keyboard as possible. If you make your own custom map inside BFD3, and then set the preset as your default preset in BFD3 (there is a preference for this) then your default keymap will be the one that you’ve setup yourself.

Actually being able to set your own default preset allows a lot of customization.

2 Likes

To be more careful w. the remark: with an already setup preset - that is not a default, as I do it not necessarily desiring a default - the slots are filled in ad hoc when they are, and this needs to be watched or have an ad hoc and perhaps not highly useful map.

I’ve gone well into detail here about EG., hardwired slot identities, for instance and specific ramifications n host automation, customization being central to it so one might suppose I know about those items somewhat. Maybe youre just being educational in general, tho

I recently purchased the Black Album expansion, the key map for that is completely out of whack in cubase, even when creating drum map from instrument, toms ae on hi-hats and snare on cymbals, cymbals are on snares, just totally messed up, I have 75% of the expansions and never had this problem, does anyone else experience the same thing?