I want to work offline!

Drew, sincerely, thank you. I appreciate this added clarity.

I shall now process this information :slight_smile:

So basically, to use BFD3 offline you have to go online (!?) and inMusic want to treat users like criminals and check up on us once a month, is that about it? Would you also like access to my bank account, doctor’s records, police records and social security number and a full list of the people I hang out with, you know, just to make sure I’m a good citizen? Why, after a month, would I not have a valid licence? What is the thought process here? This is not the BFD I bought, will you give me a full refund?

3 Likes

What Im reading is that new users need to be online once to get BFD authorised via the License Manager, then BFD will work all the time just fine offline. If you just want it to not check again until another update comes out, you could block it via the firewall and it wont be able to check. A tick box in the app itself would be most ideal but you would at least then be able to refuse BFD going online without any hinderence.

@BFD_Drew Am I reading this correctly? And how does this work with already licensed users? Can I offline update via the installer, or am I then stuck having to go online to get BFD running again after I run the update installer?

If I’m in the middle of a recording session, offline, and BFD decides its time to do its monthly check but there is no internet connection, is it still going to give me any kind of notification or disturbances? I dont want any part of the system suddenly deciding to do things I dont want it to do if I’m in the middle of recording, for instance.

3 Likes

If the 30 day thing is really true, then I’m going to want to see a date in the corner of the LM to tell me when my next checkup is, and I’m going to want a button to be able to force an auth refresh. And - most importantly - I’m going to want to be able to cut the cord until that date, and otherwise close the LM, reboot, power down so I can get on an airplane, or whatever else I need to do to run my system in the mean time.

That way I can go on vacation with my laptop and sit on a mountain top or whatever, and if I need to run down to a coffee shop to re-auth, then I can plan it.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused as to how a license holder could become a non valid license user within the space of a month?

Is this something that has been an issue with BFD?

2 Likes

It would seem to suggest a future subscription model for content, but also impose the same requirements on those who have a permanent license.

It could be done with iLok, and then I could decide when and where I wanted to be online.

In my case the sitation is:
I managed to get things running like before after I deinstalled BFD and its license manager and reinstalled both. Not excactly what a license manager should do - but who cares:-)
If try to run bfd after that it will be disabled.

The official product information on the inmusic website says: " SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum Requirements: … Internet connection for product download"

So 4 weeks after the migration and after a bugfix release this major bug is still not fixed and there are discussions all over the place that you need an online connection every 4 weeks although the product information tells nothing about it. Sad state of things to say the least.

2 Likes

Yep. This is outrageous. I’m going to ask for my money back and use a different drum sampler. We had a couple of internet outages in the last few days and it knocked out BFD3 - so projects with no effing drums!
Drew’s statement is not clear - Licence Manager checks home once a month to see if you have a valid licence? There’s no point doing this if there is no resultant action. i.e disabling the software if it thinks you’re unlicensed. Equally there’s no point in coding it if it’s not going to be enforced, so the implication is that BFD3 will work offline fine, but will require a monthly online validation. This is not in the system requirements. The lack of clarity and the totally unbelievable lack of any of this detail in the FAQ on the bfddrums website is poor poor poor

3 Likes